The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Not funny at all.

I feed the barn cats and each yr I have 3 or 4 baby skunks that come join them for dinner. So I am putting down plates while baby skunks run to me. They actually eat at my feet, and have never sprayed. I've stepped over one once when I thought it was the blk/wh cat, and still no spray.

I even had one run after my car once, when I fed early and it saw my car leaving. THAT was funny...having a baby skunk running after your car.

They would all leave when they were about 3 months old, and go look for their own territory. Apparently, skunks each like to get about 30 acres. I was worried the first yr that we'd have a huge population, but that hasn't been the case in 5 yrs.

FWIW- The skunks never sprayed a person, a cat, in the barn, a horse, or in the tack room. I even had one go in the tack room that I needed to get out, and was trying to figure out how. I couldn't scare him, or he'd spray. So I sprayed my citronella fly spray above him, and apparently the skunk thought it smelled bad, and quickly hopped out of the tack room.
    Killing a skunk with a pitchfork...not funny...using their own defense (smelly spray) against them...pretty funny.

And before someone wants to say something about Rabies...in my county, in 11 yrs of trapping/testing them, the State health dept has NEVER had a skunk test positive for Rabies. They test several hundred a yr. That may not be true for other counties/areas.

4 members found this post helpful.

Poor skunk. That's an awful way to die.

3 members found this post helpful.

Default Meh. Yawn.

We've all posted about doing odd, impulsive things in our undies. Op's DH didn't intentionally torture the skunk, just killed it. Better than if he'd shot and missed and left it to crawl off and die. Better than trapping and relocating and leaving it to starve.

I posted a story on here sometime ago about killing a groundhog. With a flame thrower, since I was unable to shoot or trap him. Perhaps I told it better, but nobody rushed to Puxatawny Phil's cousin's defense or said I was sick and twisted.

I kill every stray cat I see on the property that has testicles and is an adult. My neighbor, who feeds about 30 feral cats next door thinks I'm awful.

I don't care.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    ...I kill every stray cat I see on the property that has testicles and is an adult. My neighbor, who feeds about 30 feral cats next door thinks I'm awful
    I hope you have your flame suit zipped up good and tight...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Default I'm so scorched I don't bother with the flame suit any more.

Our county in KY, has an insane, feral cat problem. I have spent, over the last 10 years, probably at least $1500/yr on cats who do not belong to me. If they are little, I make friends, spay/neuter and they can hang around. If it's a juvenile, catch or trap, neuter and rehome take home. Within a 10 mile radius of my farm, the local shelter has a TNR program (trap neuter release) that trapped almost 200 cats last year. 200 and that's just in localized apartment complex type places where there is lots of food and trash. "Awwwh, the kitties are cute", totally uneducated population, that just dumps them. I've had over 20 baby kittens "dumped" in my barn over the last 5 or 6 years. We're on a dead end street and the barn is 15 feet from the road.. these things didn't get their on their own.

If it's an adult male, chances are, it's fighting with "my" barn cats and I've spent over a grand each on my two neutered males, repairing fight damage. It's also pissing on my hay and everywhere else. Too smart to trap, to wild and aggressive to tame, they get a quick, merciful end.

I don't like killing living things that are there because of the ignorance of adult humans. When I take the little ones to the vet, before we do anything else, we do a fe-luke test. I've had 5 positives of the 20 or so we've taken in. The clinic I deal with knows if they get a positive to just euth the poor thing.

I didn't always eliminate the adult males, in fact, I had one that came to the barn, only in cold weather. Big, black, huge, he and the boys would growl at each other, but no fur flying. He knew what time the doors would shut for the night and was always up on his big beam by then. In the morning, I'd open the door, and he'd "sneak" out, while I was cleaning stalls. Year 4, a female took up residence that he kept company with, just hanging out within a few feet of her. She was very affectionate and he'd get closer and closer to me, but would not allow me to touch him. He showed up one day, quite injured, looked like he'd been hit by a car. I did what I needed to do and buried him out back. I'm not heartless, and I don't miss. I've got scars from trying to handle the big, wild males, even with long sleeves and leather gloves. There are just too many and they're just too aggressive.

We've had, at any given time, between 3 and 5 barn cats, though the number seems to be holding at 3 for right now. The lady next farm over feeds nearly 30 and she can only touch about 3 of them. If people would stop feeding them, natural selection would start to kick in and there would be a few less, or I hope there would. I hate it when I see them killing the baby bunnies. Domestic cats are not an indigenous species to North America.

As much as I love my cats, the feral ones around here are no less a nuisance and no less destructive than the possums, coons and groundhogs. I treat them pretty much the same.

I do hear your post - but even world class shooters do not get a bull's eye every time.

Feral cats are a problem, killing birds as well as vermin. Sounds like you do what you can with what you've got. I've not got my flame suit on, even though I hate killing.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I think that is the point -- most of us who live on farms have had to kill some form of wildlife at some point. Most of us do so reluctantly, and are sad that it came to a bad end. We don't think it's funny. I have had to shoot one coyote that was in my yard, not acting right, not scared. I hated to do it, but felt i had no choice. I love hearing the coyotes sing at night ... Snarling in my backyard, not so much.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

King's Ransom--we all see the point of eliminating wildlife that is damaging our livestock or sick and dangerous. The OP (and 2ndyr to some degree) exhibited a callous disregard and glee in the killing of a skunk--whose only sin seemed to be its existence on her farm. A careful shot to dispatch an injured or ill animal, or to protect livestock from imminent attack is one thing, but a scorched earth policy on the acres you own seems overly cruel.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Default it isn't that I'm a crack shot

but because of where our farm is (right next to I-75) I have to be extremely careful which direction I'm shooting. I either have to aim completely away from the freeway (also a challenge because there is not only our house, but the neighbor's) or make sure there is something solid behind what I'm aiming at. As a result of this, I seldom take any shots from more than 20 feet, and I almost never shoot at anything that's moving. My rifle has been sighted in for my vision and it has a scope. There is generally something to "brace" the rifle on, so while it isn't impossible to miss, on the couple of occasions I did miss, I missed completely. For good or bad, most of the varmints, if they don't run away, sit still and stare. Doesn't make it easier on the soul, but it does make it easier to do.

It's just a part of life out here, but I'd be devastated if I wounded something and wasn't able to finish it. I don't like anything to suffer.

Must be a geographical attitude. Hardly anybody up here even has a gun...well, a legal gun, that is.

Default I thought Canada was full of hunters?

Maybe wrong.

Calvincrowe, I am in agreement with you. I think what is offensive about the skunk story is really not so much that the skunk was dispatched (though, if he were running away, why not let him?) but that most of us do not think it's funny.

I do try to take a "live and let live" attitude with wildlife, and on the few occasions where that just didn't work out, I was sad. Killing a living creature is not funny.

I will admit that the image of an adult male stepping outside at 3 a.m. in his skivvies -- for any reason -- is somewhat amusing. Add in the skunk spraying of a skivvy-clad man at 3 a.m., and you've got yourself a situation comedy.

Pitch forking and shovel-smashing a skunk? Not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post

Pitch forking and shovel-smashing a skunk? Not funny.
    ^^^^^^^this. Amusing? Not in the slightest.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

2 members found this post helpful.

While a lot of people hunt here in Canada, some of us don't see the need to be trigger happy with everything from Grizzleys to big horn sheep. But my husband was raised on wild meat - his dad was a gyppo logger and with a family of nine people to feed, miles from anywhere, your wild meat, garden and preserves was what they did to live.

So many people live in cities and think that a trip in the fall to go drinking and hunting is a very macho thing to do, with bragging rights when they come home.

This month (June) there is a gun amnesty - they will come and pick up your gun, no questions asked. But for the normal hunting guy, no problem.

There are three current threads that show what I hope is the attitude of the majority of COTH'ers

- snapping turtles, the robins egg, and the feral kittens.

I love the sight of wildlife and feel flattered when they show up.

P.S. I've not seen the weasel recently - maybe he is full and gone hunting elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Not funny at all.

I feed the barn cats and each yr I have 3 or 4 baby skunks that come join them for dinner. So I am putting down plates while baby skunks run to me. They actually eat at my feet, and have never sprayed. I've stepped over one once when I thought it was the blk/wh cat, and still no spray.

I even had one run after my car once, when I fed early and it saw my car leaving. THAT was funny...having a baby skunk running after your car.

They would all leave when they were about 3 months old, and go look for their own territory. Apparently, skunks each like to get about 30 acres. I was worried the first yr that we'd have a huge population, but that hasn't been the case in 5 yrs.

FWIW- The skunks never sprayed a person, a cat, in the barn, a horse, or in the tack room. I even had one go in the tack room that I needed to get out, and was trying to figure out how. I couldn't scare him, or he'd spray. So I sprayed my citronella fly spray above him, and apparently the skunk thought it smelled bad, and quickly hopped out of the tack room.
    Killing a skunk with a pitchfork...not funny...using their own defense (smelly spray) against them...pretty funny.

And before someone wants to say something about Rabies...in my county, in 11 yrs of trapping/testing them, the State health dept has NEVER had a skunk test positive for Rabies. They test several hundred a yr. That may not be true for other counties/areas.
    You know in all the years I have lived out in the woods, I have NEVER seen a baby skunk.. Adults, sure in the summer. but never babies.
    It is funny, the cats seem to know they are not cats!
    I wonder if the reason you got babies coming to your barn was because ma was hit or killed!
    They only spray if they are truly threatened. I have had one in the yard at night and sort of clapped my hands and they waddle back to the woods.
    I could never stab one.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

looking at it from the psychology of stabbing and bludgeoning anything to death, it becomes even LESS amusing..........

stabbing and beating are two very "personal" methods of killing....you have to be up close and personal to make it happen,whereas shooting allows one to be more detached from the action and the consequences....it becomes more of "the gun did it" rationalization, and is a much easier method to dispense..once the impulse of squeezing the trigger and the bullet is released, it is out of the shooter's control...........but with stabbing/beating, every blow is personally intentional, and the one inflicting the damage has the option of staying their hand at every blow.........you have ,literally, caused death by your own hand..........not to mention the volume and duration of rage required for these actions......
    I just don't SEE HOW a skunk, whose worst offense of spraying is not deadly, can illicit such a violent and protracted response from someone whose physical well-being was not threatened by the skunk..ever

not funny, and in addition, an over the top, anti-social reaction

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Our county in KY, has an insane, feral cat problem. I have spent, over the last 10 years, probably at least $1500/yr on cats who do not belong to me. If they are little, I make friends, spay/neuter and they can hang around. If it's a juvenile, catch or trap, neuter and rehome take home. Within a 10 mile radius of my farm, the local shelter has a TNR program (trap neuter release) that trapped almost 200 cats last year. 200 and that's just in localized apartment complex type places where there is lots of food and trash. "Awwwh, the kitties are cute", totally uneducated population, that just dumps them. I've had over 20 baby kittens "dumped" in my barn over the last 5 or 6 years. We're on a dead end street and the barn is 15 feet from the road.. these things didn't get their on their own.

If it's an adult male, chances are, it's fighting with "my" barn cats and I've spent over a grand each on my two neutered males, repairing fight damage. It's also pissing on my hay and everywhere else. Too smart to trap, to wild and aggressive to tame, they get a quick, merciful end.

I don't like killing living things that are there because of the ignorance of adult humans. When I take the little ones to the vet, before we do anything else, we do a fe-luke test. I've had 5 positives of the 20 or so we've taken in. The clinic I deal with knows if they get a positive to just euth the poor thing.

I didn't always eliminate the adult males, in fact, I had one that came to the barn, only in cold weather. Big, black, huge, he and the boys would growl at each other, but no fur flying. He knew what time the doors would shut for the night and was always up on his big beam by then. In the morning, I'd open the door, and he'd "sneak" out, while I was cleaning stalls. Year 4, a female took up residence that he kept company with, just hanging out within a few feet of her. She was very affectionate and he'd get closer and closer to me, but would not allow me to touch him. He showed up one day, quite injured, looked like he'd been hit by a car. I did what I needed to do and buried him out back. I'm not heartless, and I don't miss. I've got scars from trying to handle the big, wild males, even with long sleeves and leather gloves. There are just too many and they're just too aggressive.

We've had, at any given time, between 3 and 5 barn cats, though the number seems to be holding at 3 for right now. The lady next farm over feeds nearly 30 and she can only touch about 3 of them. If people would stop feeding them, natural selection would start to kick in and there would be a few less, or I hope there would. I hate it when I see them killing the baby bunnies. Domestic cats are not an indigenous species to North America.

As much as I love my cats, the feral ones around here are no less a nuisance and no less destructive than the possums, coons and groundhogs. I treat them pretty much the same.
    I dont' fault you at all. The rampant problem thanks in part to all those idiot people who say Oh just one litter... aGH
    From what I have read large Feral colonies are doing a serious job on some bird populations.
    And I am a cat person, But nothing of mine has ever not been spayed or neutered.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

We have trapped and subsequently released or shot skunks that have taken up personal residences in areas that simply aren't compatible with our lifestyle... such as under our house or in our woodshed (that we go to every day) or in the milk house in the farm (that'll teach you to leave the door open...). My FIL usually traps/releases them and my DH usually shoots them as they exit the trap from a close distance (so he doesn't miss).

Neither would EVER dream of stabbing and bludgeoning a skunk to death. It really couldn't had been that quick if he stabbed it and then had to go back for a shovel or what have you to 'finish it off.'

sad. very sad.

I have peeps at my barn, they lay eggs every where including my old horse's stall. I knew a skunk would show up and find any eggs eat and leave each night. He would wait till I shut the horse in for the night. One night was a bit late and went in to feed and realized that black blob under my horses feed bucket was not a hen. So started to yell at it OUT, and get out now! My horse must of realized was off my rocker and stayed put. Out the skunk went, it never sprayed me and not sure if I used a broom to get it out of the stall that night. Never once thought it would spray me. I figured if left a egg out it was fair game, but not in my horses stall. Sort of miss that skunk. I never thought of it as a problem. Honest think they are hard to trap but heard they love baked beans. Never trapped one when I was on the war path on a coon or ground hog.