The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to get rid of a skunk??? Kinda amusing UPDATE, for me, not the skunk!

I have a skunk living in my barn, under a pile of building materials I think. How to I get it to move on? Can't shoot it in the barn (nor do I really want to kill it) and I'm afraid of my ADHD dog eating mothballs. I don't want to move the pile of stuff and get sprayed myself, LOL!

I'm really tired of giving one dog or the other a bath at least once a week. BTW, the Dawn/peroxide/baking soda mixture does a great job at de-skunking.

UPDATE: So this weekend we were going to go find a light suitable for flooding the skunks living area. In the meantime, we've been turning on barn lights/outside flood lights before letting the dogs out. Now, our apt. is attached to the barn- just step off the back porch onto the wash rack. It's warm out, so DH goes out at 3:30 this morning to turn the lights on (the dogs always want to go out when he gets up for work)- in nothing but his boxers. DH flips the barn lights on and there's the skunk. You know what happened next, LOL! DH grabs a pitchfork, chases it down and stabs the poor skunk, finishing it off with a shovel. Then he gave it a burial in the manure spreader- all in bare feet and his skivvies! I was LMAO when he told me about his adventure. Video would have been so awesome!
    Last edited by shakeytails; Jun. 8, 2013 at 01:39 AM.

Carefully! Is there a wildlife removal service around you? I'd give them a call to see if they'll come and get rid of it.

I would call a professional. I think the only way to get rid of it is to trap it. And I do not believe it's a good idea for an amateur to try to trap a skunk because of their spray mechanism.

Call a professional. While I once had a skunk in the barn during breeding/nesting season (winter), once that was over, they left of their own accord.

And apart from everyone's "rabies frenzy" re: skunks (actually, feral cats are just as high up on the ladder as far as that goes), skunks are actually great to have around.

They LOVE lawn grubs - Japanese Beetle, June Bug, Cutworm - all major lawn & garden pests. And they also LOVE mice & other vermin.

So please don't go the automatic KILL route that so many misguided folks here go. Call a HUMANE professional. Skunks are NOT seriously territorial, & survive very nicely when relocated without becoming someone else's pest.

1 members found this post helpful.

You can call a pro.

Or you can use the skunk's preferences in your favor. Go to Home Depot (or where ever) and get a small, cheap, "shop-type" light, a long stick of PVC pipe, some duct tape, and enough extension cord to plug the light in.

Using the duct tape, attach the light to the PVC and then plug it in. Now push the light under the pile were you think the skunk might be and back off. Give the little critter a chance to leave. Skunks are nocturnal and don't like light. If it leaves then clean up the pile so that it won't have anything to come back to.

You now also have a nice, small, utility light for other "odd jobs."

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

You should do a search on COTH about skunks.

The very last straw with our skunks here is when my dogs got sprayed inside our yard. We have a small fenced yard but big property. After doing the bathing, I started to trap and kill them. Worked. BTW there was no food in our yard, nothing. I have trapped about 10 or so now. Last one got under our push mower in the barn.

Best is to trap. They do remember where the good places are to bed down and have babies. So chasing it away will not make it go away.

BUT if you can not trap, after dark when you know the skunk has gone out for the night, then you need to make it so the hole or where ever it is getting in and hanging out, gets fixed, plugged up, or whatever. Lock all dogs up, leave the barn very quiet, don't check too often, or it will not leave.

You can put flour or lime where you know the skunk goes in and out. You will see foot prints or marks where the skunk has crossed the flour or lime and left. Then you need to get to work.

I have skunk proofed my barn. I just have to remember to keep certain doors closed. I never relocate a skunk. Nobody would appreciate me doing so on their property. So I do not.

I have ever never heard of lights working.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    I have ever never heard of lights working.

Good luck.
    I got rid of a whole family living under my house that way. I now keep a light on in the cellar at all times. Can't say constant light keeps them out, but we've not had a problem for almost five years.

I suspect that it works because skunks are nocturnal and will avoid light when they can.

G
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Hmm, G vwerry interwesting.

I will remember lights.

We had one recently, and the advice I got here was lights and lots of noise, since skunks like peace and quiet. We kept the lights on, and idled the law mower for a while, and soon the skunks moved out.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I live trapped one last year that was trying to nest under my hay pallets stacked to the ceiling with hay. Set the trap with some cheap canned cat food. The first morning I found trapped a big stray orange kitty who was very angry. It was a nice practice test of releasing a live critter. Next morning nothing. Next morning skunk! Covered the trap with a tarp, lifted it with stout rake handle and placed it on the bed of the truck and took the skunk to the state park 1.5 miles from me to an area beside water and with trees and field. Skunk had shelter and water- it was on it's own to find food. The skunk never sprayed while in the trap and I think the success was because I always kept the tarp over it and the skunk never saw me.

10 years ago a skunk had babies under our raised tackroom floor. Ugh. Our JRT's dug and dug. We flooded it with water. Made noise with everything possible and that Momma wouldn't budge. Wish I had known about 24/7 light because I would have tried that for sure.

My skunks are back. Turns out they didn't move very far away, and didn't stay gone for long. So it's back to lights and music in the barn.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I don't see the humour
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I don't see the humour
    Neither do I - in spades. Stabbing & bludgeoning a skunk to death is FUNNY to you? Who gives a damn what your husband was wearing. I'm sure the skunk didn't.

Both you & your husband have sick & twisted senses of humor. How wonderful to be you. How sad to be any sort of wildlife that happens to wander into your little corner of wonderfulness & make life even a little uncomfortable for you.

You're sad, sad people. I feel sorry for you (but much sorrier for the skunk).

17 members found this post helpful.

Hope he got sprayed! ...didn't find that amusing either...
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

10 members found this post helpful.

And sprayed but good. It's such a shame that no one has yet to find a cure for stupidity. And cruel stupidity at that. Oh well.

8 members found this post helpful.

Not funny at all.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

4 members found this post helpful.

You sure you let us know exactly HOW YOU FEEL, Bacardi?
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    You sure you let us know exactly HOW YOU FEEL, Bacardi?

Yup. And don't expect any apologies.

I thought you agreed me with me re: your previous post on the subject, but apparently I'm wrong?

Unless, of course, you just enjoy criticizing me, even if you agree. That may be even more sad - lol!!

[edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jun. 9, 2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: language

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    ...DH grabs a pitchfork, chases it down and stabs the poor skunk, finishing it off with a shovel. Then he gave it a burial in the manure spreader- all in bare feet and his skivvies! I was LMAO when he told me about his adventure. Video would have been so awesome!
    You are sick and cruel, and so is your husband.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

11 members found this post helpful.

That's disgusting. Killing an animal with a PITCHFORK? You are a sorry excuse for a human being. Truly sickening.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

11 members found this post helpful.