The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PolyPads vs Roma knock-offs vs?

I have a polypad that I love and seems to work well for Dove.

It's the original version and I think she would prefer something contoured for her wither. I like the look of the PolyPad Butterfly model, but I can only find it a Bit of Britain. It's pretty costly and shipping isn't free. Boo.

SmartPak carries a Roma knock off that is very attractively priced and I can buy more stuff and have them ship it for free. Yay.

Any input on the Roma knock off pad versus the real, actual PolyPad? If I like the PolyPad, am I going to be disappointed in the Roma version?

I think that you can't go wrong with the roma for $30, and it has 44 positive reviews.

That being said...on the actual PolyPads site, there is a "pad color generator" that I had wayyyyy too much fun with! But once you add on shipping from the UK the pads work out to $100 each.

I honestly prefer Dover's poly pad knock off over Roma's. The Roma pads to me have an odd shape, and dont seem to me to be as 'form fitting' and are a little stiffer, where the Dover ones are the same square (maybe a touch smaller?) than the original poly pad

Not sure how long the Poly Pads last. Had two that walked off at a large boarding barn. My Roma pad is nearing retirement- It has worn through the lining in one part but in all fairness it is 6 years old.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

But I think Simkie specifically doesn't want square, wants something with more contour to the topline for wither relief. Unless I'm reading it wrong, which at 0455, is entirely possible.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I have polypads that I have used for years, and they have lasted like iron. Any of the imitators have not been up to snuff. Much thinner padding and fabric. Try Ebay. I got some great deals there.

I have 2 of the Roma pads (lilac/purple and light blue/navy), and they NEVER stayed put under my jump saddle. I think I would up selling the blue one to a friend. I have 2 of the Dover brand square ones, and I LOVE them. They don't move around at all.
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

I have a Roma pad and love it! It stays put just fine and fits my saddle and horse just great. I can't imagine paying more for a Poly Pad when my Roma does the job.
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I am a PolyPad lover as well, and I've found that some of the knock offs are decent but don't have the same effect. A lot of them seem to slip easier and don't stay locked in place like the Poly's do.

Like IFG said, check ebay! I actually got a gorgeous PP just last week on ebay for $30!

Also, not to hijack the OP, but just out of curiosity... those of you who do use PolyPads (and knock offs alike) do you prefer the single or double thickness? Do you ever use a half pad with the single thickness ones?

I have both and almost always reach for the Roma Softies instead of the Polypads. The Roma pads probably won't last as long, but I like the wither relief and the fact that they are less stiff/substantial than the Polypads. I find them easier to wash in my home machine. I also like the reversible black/white color scheme. I have had mine for at least 4 years and none of them have worn out yet.

I think cookiepony and mcorbett both have the Moxie knock off and love it. Not sure how the topline is shaped though.

I'm looking for the contoured topline. My options are the PolyPad Butterfly pad or the Roma on Smart Pak with wither relief. I have a standard square poly pad--love it, but not interested in buying another plain square right now.

For those with the roma: how does it compare, padding wise, to the PolyPad?

I have about 7 polypads that are around 15 years old....STILL going strong. No rips...nothing.

I have 1 dover pad that I also love, it is more lightweight and smaller so I use it on super hot summer days.

I just bought a Roma on eBay but my friend told me she hated hers, and her friend commented the same. Hoping it isnt that bad!

Premiere Equine also has similar ones...will look into one of those next

I don't understand why people like poly pads. I had one and I use it as a dog bed. I found that it was difficult to launder (bulky) and it seemed hot in the summer.

I missed something and now I want to know what it is that I missed. Seriously, I will give it another try (have to drag it out from underneath the 120 lb dog), if someone can convince me what is good about them.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Winding Down View Post
    I don't understand why people like poly pads. I had one and I use it as a dog bed. I found that it was difficult to launder (bulky) and it seemed hot in the summer.

I missed something and now I want to know what it is that I missed. Seriously, I will give it another try (have to drag it out from underneath the 120 lb dog), if someone can convince me what is good about them.
    I can't answer for others but I like them because; they don't move (on my horses), I find them easy to wash(?) Nice and thick so I find my saddles sit nicely on the horses in them. Love the style and colours. You can throw them like a frisbee

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    You can throw them like a frisbee
    woot!

I'm not sure if I have the Roma or the dover version, its nice, doesn't move, but am not sure horsie thinks its any better than any other pad. I have been eyeballing the Passier Flexi fleece pad, which is very similar in thickness but claims to have "no memory effect" eg won't pack down. Have any of you tried that one? At least the dressage version has a split at the withers like western pads do. Don't know about the ap version.

Giving this a bump for people who have both poly pads and any of the alternatives. Are the Dover or Roma versions as puffy?

I have Pad Perfect pads, which I think are like the Poly Pads but better, as they have girth loops to hold them more in place. They come in a variety of colors. I am not sure if they make a contour shape or not. You could ask them if it's not on the website.
    www.padperfect.com
    Jessica Bortner-Harris
    www.rockystartstables.com
    "Throw your heart over the fence and your horse will follow."

Quote Originally Posted by SuperEventer View Post
    I have Pad Perfect pads, which I think are like the Poly Pads but better, as they have girth loops to hold them more in place. They come in a variety of colors. I am not sure if they make a contour shape or not. You could ask them if it's not on the website.
    www.padperfect.com
    I've been very happy with my PadPerfect pads as well. I love the sewn in girth loops, and the contouring for the wither relief.