The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So you want to buy a farm(ette)? Are you SURE?

For those of you who think the grass might be greener on your own farm or farmette, I just want to share my evening. I have a farmette -- about 20 acres, 4 horses, a 3-acre lake, a horse barn, an equipment barn, a ranch-style house, three barn cats, a dog, a husband, and a full-time job where I am CEO.

DH is traveling for two weeks, so I am working alone here for awhile.

First, I worked all day. THEN I drove to "town" to get red-dye, off-road diesel for the tractor, pulled off the brush hog, attached the front-end loader, scraped the mud off the paddock, hauled six loads of rock in there and spread it so we won't sink to our knees with the next rain, played catch-and-release with a naughty pony, stripped and re-bedded one stall, dumped everyone's water and refilled with clean, brought all the horses in for the night, fed them and threw hay, fed the barn cats, walked the dog ... and I have now collapsed into a heap in front of some mindless television. When I gather the strength, I will open the bottle of ibuprofen ...

Yes, I do love it. Wouldn't trade for anything ... (or so I tell myself as I limp off to bed!)

Fair warning - it ain't all peaches and cream!

5 members found this post helpful.

What, you didn't ride?

12 members found this post helpful.

I got tired just reading about your day.

Guess that Parker is coming along fine with his catching training?

3 members found this post helpful.

Had the farmette. Sold the farmette. Considering buying a property where I could accommodate a couple of rescue minis or donks, or maybe a couple trail horses. Then I read your post and I remember why I sold the farmette.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

9 members found this post helpful.

I have never owned my own farm, but did a stint at two different farms where I was the only boarder(basically rented barn and pasture). It never failed, that when I only had a short amount of time to spend at the barn, there was fencing down or some other problem occurred.

It is bloody hard work... but I wouldn't change it for the world either.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

2 members found this post helpful.

I have the farmette, 8 horses, 3 dogs, and two family members who expect me to cook a decent meal every night. I don't see a problem with eating grilled cheese sandwiches every day, but they do I also work full time 8:30-4:30. I run to the grocery on my lunch hour, dash to the feed store on my way home, and do everything else in the evening and on weekends. I love it!
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Ahh yes, Just looked at a small five acre place.
    I keep dreaming of Chickens and a mini or something. Then I have a day like yesterday, and I am still achey from it.
    Cut down some Arborvite Dug up some big rocks to put around a new bed.
    Weed wacked all over including down to the end of my street along out woods.
    (Who needs weights) LOL Ouch. Hauled a bunch of wood and stuff to my dump pile up and down a hill several, Wrenched my bad knee that had been feeling better. Sigh, I am only 55 but there are days!
    But I still love being away from the city.

I'll be heading out this morning to go back to the tire store an hour away- to pick up the tractor wheel I dropped off yesterday... valve stem broke right off... squirted water all over the place... bear to get off the tractor- bear to get into the truck...hopefully it will only cost about $100 rather than the $300 a farm service call would have cost. That was my husband's thanks for doing some bushhogging.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

OK, KR - I hear ya on the WishIWas3People Day.
    But write about the flipside:
    *The day the weather is perfect.
    *The horses behave like the obedient critters we know they are most of the time.
    *All house & barn supplies are in and mowing can wait a day or two.
    *You get the near-perfect ride in.
    *And your "commute" to and from the barn is measured in feet, not miles.

I've been doing this solo for the past 10 years.
    5ac and 2 horses.
    My "farm equipment" is a riding mower, wheelbarrow and a dumpcart.

This year I got to take an early retirement - Yay, Me! - and while my riding time has increased , everything else remains pretty much the same.
    I used to have Tuesdays off and that was my Errand Day.
    Now every day is Tuesday.

I say Dreamers, Dream On!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    What, you didn't ride?
    I usually run out of energy before I get to that.

2DogsFarm, I hear ya! I did this solo for five years ... but have gotten "soft" having a DH to help! Even though he's not horsey, he does a lot of the heavy lifting! ... Having said that, when he leaves, I find I have to "fix" a lot of what he did to "help!"

Bluey -- Parker has "graduated" from solitary confinement in the round pen to the paddock (120 x 120) with Elijah as a buddy. We'll see if I can still catch him in this larger area.

Larkspur -- Honestly, I wanted to ride so badly, the weather was beautiful. But absolutely no time ... which is the bane of every horse owner with horses at home! After last year's drought, this year we're experiencing the monsoon season. With more rain forecast every day through the weekend, I felt I HAD to get that mud scraped and rock brought in to at least the pathways from barn to gate!

I failed to mention that I am still nursing a bum knee ... Good Times!

1 members found this post helpful.

DH wants land when we retire. So, to try and sell me on it, he says "You could keep Flower at home." I spent a bit of time explaining that since he can't even manage mowing the lawn on our .23 acre lot, that wasn't going to happen. Explained the multiplying horses thing - Flower couldn't live alone (actually he's that rare horse that could, but don't tell DH). Pointed out the pain of getting pet sitters for the dogs and cats and that horses would only make that more of pain.

He still wants land, but the horse is not part of the landscape. He can't do much at all, healthwise, and I don't really want to spend my life doing it all. It seemed like a great idea when we had two healthy, horse crazy teens at home, not so great now.

I love the idea of looking out and seeing my boy every morning, but not the work. Of course, the fact that he is at a boarding barn that treats him like he is their own always helps .

After rain all day Sunday and a very muggy morning yesterday, I got home from work and the weather was lovely. Alas, the horses had been in so I decided on pasture time for them instead of riding--pretty noble, considering that my new saddle arrived on Friday. Ended up cleaning the last of a deadfall that was finally hitting a corner of the pasture fence. Fighting the slick ground under the old leaves, fighting the vines that tied it all together, fighting the dead multiflora rose ... And what is it with the bum knees? Mine was feeling all better, and then after slipping and tripping on the vines, now I'm feeling it again.

I've been at it for 18 years, will probably retire in the next year or so from my full-time-plus job and am determined to make it at least 20 years on the farm. Wouldn't go back to boarding at this point, though. We'll see in another five years, maybe I'll become one of those doddering old ladies with a doddering old horse at the boarding stable ...
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I love my farmette and tried but failed miserably to live in the city. As it turns out, I hate housework and would fix fence *any day* over having to do laundry and " put things away". I'm not much for couch-potatoing either and I don't watch tv. We have ~12 acres and our machinery includes a lawn tractor and a lot of hand tools!

4 members found this post helpful.

Same here. Taking a "vacation" week off work, which is normally a six-day, or 50/hour a week job. Tons of farm work to do. 25 acres, three horses. DH is not very helpful. Horses are normally easy, but we just added the rescue TWH to the mix. So I have two on diets, and one that's thin and needs to gain weight. Close to retirement age at work, so maybe some day, all I have to do each day will fit into my day. I can dream, can't I?
    It's 2016. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

OneGrayPony -- I also tried and failed at city life. Totally, totally agree that fixing fence beats cleaning house any day of the week! Much as I have complained here, I honestly couldn't bear leaving!

Default Some days ~ a fancy condo and small cactus plant are appealing ~

Honestly some days ~ from the horse property view

a fancy condo and small cactus plant look appealing

but then

the sunshine and a great ride redirect my mind ~

and I'd not be anywhere else !~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Zu Zu -- ain't it the truth?!

Default With some time and rest you'll be re-energized !~!

Yes !
    Just get tired but
    eventually one is re-energized !

Get that knee healed up and the
    rain stopped and

your

horse property and summer fun will rule !

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    Zu Zu -- ain't it the truth?!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "