The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I'm moving to Aiken, looking for...

Well, finally decided to take the plunge and do what I'd been wanting for the last year. I'm so looking forward to riding in the woods, and getting back into eventing after a few (or more) years away. I accepted a position at Aiken Regional Hospital starting July 8th, quit my job here, and am in the need of housing in Aiken.

Our farm here is listed, DH will stay back until it sells or if no luck by winter we'll reevaluate the whole plan. So for now, I am looking for a 6 month rental within 15 miles of the hospital with room for 3 horses. The 2 dogs will stay back at our place here, but come for a week a month when DH visits so would also need pet friendly.

I don't need or want fancy. Just safe fencing and shelter for the horses. I can't do a year lease. Would like to keep it under $1500 month. Absolutely non-smoking and no recent history of it being smoked in as I'm highly sensitive to the smell.

I've been checking the usual online sites, and have a Realtor that we've been in contact with for our eventual purchase there looking around for me as well. Most places so far have been sticklers on a year lease, or want over $2000 a month, or max out at two horses.

I figured maybe some locals might have heard of word-of-mouth places, or seen ads posted in tack/feed stores. Anybody have any leads for me?

Also will be needing good contacts for vets, farriers, hay, bedding, etc. Anything to help this Lexington girl find her way in Aiken would be most appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    Sounds like a job for Badger. . .
    And, because this popped into my head...

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

OP, have you tried contacting vets and farriers in the area? They know everyone...And everyone talks to them. IE, while Dobbin is getting his teeth floated, horse owner bemoans "if only we could find a renter..." Just a thought! I know that when our house sells *fingers crossed* and we're looking for a farmette as a resting place before making the big purchase plunge, like you, we'll be asking the vet if he knows anyone. Heck, the farrier already warned us off one place, saying it was fenced, sure, but really not what DH wants for his mares (mine will stay boarded).
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Sarah Thompson, DVM or Dr. Jamie Carter, both great vets that know many of their clients really well and may have some leads on housing.

Darren Haeusler was my farrier.

you'll find something, I rented my house/farm for less than that with room for 4 horses, pasture, etc and a tad more than 15 miles from hospital. sold it for a song so hopefully your place sells fast.

have you looked at the Aiken Horse? http://www.theaikenhorse.com/

Also, if your Realtor doesn't work out, Robin & Cissie are the BEST!
    Ready ~ 1999-2009 ~ you were bigger than life!
    Stickers ~ 1985-2011 ~ Cody's BFF
    I miss you both very much!

Default I know a darling place in Trenton, may be perfect.

Just sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    And, because this popped into my head...

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/
    I just spent the last 10 (?) Minutes watching this.

What is my life.
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Thanks to all for the ideas and names. I'm interested in a couple listed with Fox and Hound, but not having much luck with call-backs/info with them. Will keep trying.

I've checked Aiken horses online, The Aiken Horse, Aiken MLS, Googled, etc. I may have a lead on one through my Realtor, but it's a little more then I wanted to spend considering I still have my mortgage here.

Glad to have the names of some vets and farriers and will check them out as well. A couple PMs have given me possible places, so thank-you as well.

Have you contacted Fairweather? I know she's moving into her new barn. Don't know if she'd consider leasing her current place.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Fairweather is in Southern Pines. Wish she was in Aiken!

There are Aiken area FB pages that you might want to put your query on:

Aiken SC Dressage, Eventing, and Show Jumping
    Augusta/Aiken Equine Riders
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

We moved to near Aiken in March. We love it. Very pleased with our farrier, Matt Cogan. He's also an eventer.

Sent you a Private Message

Default Try posting on the SC Area Dressage, Eventing, and Showjumping group on FB...

Here's the link on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/45141948694/ You can post your needs and see what is offered. I've got a couple of friends who found places for winter rentals using this site. Good luck!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Thanks everyone! I decided to do a quick trip down to Aiken this coming week and have a few places lined up to go see. Hopefully, I'll find what I need.