The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I knew it was this vid before opening it. Whiplash? And mentioned above, shaken baby syndrome.....words fail me.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks OneGrayPony, now I am really nauseous after watching it a second time. I fought so hard to have both my kids that video makes me sick. Children are just so special and such a gift how could any parent see that and not be horrified. I know that people say we live in a "nanny state" but when people like that child's parents are out there, how can we let that sweet little girl down as a society.... She deserves to see her next birthday, healthy.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    The horse did not "save" her, it got scared when the guy ran towards it, and backed up a step.

I thought it was insane to let a kid with no balance, bobbing her head like she did, on a barrel horse. She needs a helmet and some lessons. Surprised she doesn't damage her neck.
    I cannot agree more with the second part, but the horse DID save her. It stopped when she fell to the side, then backed up in alarm when the guy ran at it -- but like you say, just steps. Then it stood very still when the girl fell to the ground. The horse is a saint. If it had done anything else, the kid might very well have been killed.

Several of you have said it already: shaken baby, whiplash, Child Protective Services, Idiot parents, unbelievably asinine organization which sanctions that sort of behavior.

9 members found this post helpful.

Yea, I truly don't understand it. When I look at the other videos (all labeled "amazing 5 year old") all I can think of is that this is a Dad who wants his 15 mins, and his little gutsy daughter is going to be the ticket...if she lives.

12 members found this post helpful.

Bet that horse was trained as a calf or goat roping horse. Took a step back as soon as rider started sliding down his side. At least that is the way it looked to me.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Nah, horse stepped back from the person on the ground coming toward him. He had that spooky ear up look to him looking straight at the person like he wasn't sure. If you watch the other videos you see a few occasion where if you watch the horse he looks as if he could spook and jump any moment a few times.

This is horrible IMO. I did barrel race for years, and good barrel racers do ride as well as an English rider with seat and leg more than anything. When I did barrel race there was a little girl that ran at the local shows. She was about 6 at the time and was on a 12.3 h (give or take an inch) that would run it's little heart out. Cutesy little pair, the difference was this child was on an appropriate size, and speed mount. She did not bobble head around, she was taught very well and actually was very good at using her leg more than her hand. She was an exception to the rule at this age, I do have her on video and watched it the other day. Completely different from this train wreck. I don't understand how the parents are not terrified for their child's life. That's a good barrel horse, he stopped when he felt her go to the side, he knows the pattern and just does it because in NO WAY what so ever does that child have any control of what direction that horse is going!
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Agreed with rope trained horse! But, can I have that saint of a horse please?

Unfortunately I see many kids that just hold on for the ride, and don't know how to ride, doing gymkhana. I do the local circuit (yes, with my tb, I do try to make him not such an arena priss!) and I have seen my share of accidents with kids. Everything from lost footing/fell onside, to being bucked off.

The best one ever, is my horse and I were standing ring side watching the last money classes, and "the brat" child was sitting in her chair, holding her horses reins, pouting and crying because her horse wasn't going fast or something. Wouldn't you know, he got his reins under her chair and flipped her chair over, she smacked hard on her back! He wandered over to me, I held him while she screamed bloody murder and adults tended to her. I swear he was smiling and so, so proud of himself. (this child was a HORRIBLE brat, and she would spur him over and over while yanking backwards on the reins, ugh.)

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss J View Post
    I knew it was this vid before opening it. Whiplash? And mentioned above, shaken baby syndrome.....words fail me.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    That is the worst child riding video I have ever seen.

That IS child abuse.
    I agree.

I only went to one of those little kids playdays, because someone I know their kid was competing and they insisted I go watch it.

There, their kid was fine, it was older and well trained, but I saw some horses that were lame, on their last leg and little kids riding about like that one.

Never again, don't want to see all that happening.
    What are those parents thinking!

One comment said she's tied to the saddle. This one ranks up there with the girl who got kicked in the face for Bad Riding Hall of Fame. I don't know what the parents are thinking. This sure isn't "cute".
    You are what you dare.

Parents are idiots. Poor kid is getting jerked all over just from the movement of the horse. That right there should tell them it's not a good idea.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

What in GODS name!!!
    Seriously those parents need to be horse whipped.
    I taught beginners for years and never would ever have let a child flop around like that. >I am in shock, I can only thank the grace of god and that horse for not bolting with her hanging upside down.
    Sickening. WHY?? At first I thought she was sick, or broke her neck.
    AGH!!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

2 members found this post helpful.

I can not believe helmets are not required for kids at these events, no matter how good the kid is. How can that possibly be?

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I can not believe helmets are not required for kids at these events, no matter how good the kid is. How can that possibly be?
    More and more kids are wearing helmets today, but really, for the very small kids, the helmets can't be made any lighter than they are and are themselves unbalancing the kid, not that good a solution.

Some are using bicycle helmets, that are not for those kinds of protection as riding demands, but better than nothing or too heavy a helmet for the kid.

As a riding instructor, all I can say is that kid in the video should not have been on a horse doing that, period.
    That kid needs to learn to ride first.
    That is really wrong on so many levels.

Yes, the parents are idiots. But I'm sure that little "Susie," or whatever her name is, said she WANTED to ride, so of course Mommy and and Daddy won't ever say NO to precious --- so she rode and is lucky she wasn't seriously hurt. Horse is a saint, but he can't make up for the kid's inability to ride. It would be cute to see a little girl or boy, in a helmet, on a more appropriately-sized pony, trotting around the barrel pattern. This video is not cute. Parents need to be arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    More and more kids are wearing helmets today, but really, for the very small kids, the helmets can't be made any lighter than they are and are themselves unbalancing the kid, not that good a solution.

Some are using bicycle helmets, that are not for those kinds of protection as riding demands, but better than nothing or too heavy a helmet for the kid.

As a riding instructor, all I can say is that kid in the video should not have been on a horse doing that, period.
    That kid needs to learn to ride first.
    That is really wrong on so many levels.
    Ditto!! Times 10!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

That kid needs a helmet, an appropriate sized mount, some lessons, and new parents before she gets killed. I'm all for not coddling children but words fail me on how unsafe that is.

Poor kid, poor horse
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by Donkaloosa View Post
    Yes, the parents are idiots. But I'm sure that little "Susie," or whatever her name is, said she WANTED to ride, so of course Mommy and and Daddy won't ever say NO to precious --- so she rode and is lucky she wasn't seriously hurt. Horse is a saint, but he can't make up for the kid's inability to ride. It would be cute to see a little girl or boy, in a helmet, on a more appropriately-sized pony, trotting around the barrel pattern. This video is not cute. Parents need to be arrested.
    Those horses are patterned on the barrels and can do that without a rider.
    They know their job and do it.
    That one horse is too much for that kid, the kid is overhorsed, needs the kind of horse that trots the pattern.
    She needs to learn to ride first, before sticking her on that horse and hoping she makes it around without falling off.

Kids like she rides are generally led around the patterns by an adult, on foot or from another horse, not turned loose like that, much less on that kind of faster horse.

I am surprised the kid survived that without injury.

I've seen lots of kids that age blazing around barrels on fast ponies - but that kid had no business doing anything more than leadline. Yeah - I think her feet were tied down too.

I feel ill... I had to turn it off once she started falling. Bleh.
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010