The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I did not see the course this year (we were having enough excitement just between the trailer and the indoor).

BUT
    I took my TD exam at Waredaca. I expect the corner was in a different location, so this may not be relevant. One of the questions on the exam was whether there was anything we would change about the Prelim course. My reply was that I would add an option at the corner.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Depends on the horse.

With Belle, I usually retire after two stops (most notable at Difficult Run's Trakhener).

BUT, one year, going training at a rainy Seneca, she slipped (even though wearing studs) on the approach to the right hand panel of a simple coop.

On the second approach, at roughly the same point, she stopped again, apparently in anticipation of a slip, even though she didn't slip until she threw on the brakes.

For the third approach, I went to the LEFT hand panel. Even though the footing was not noticeably better, she wasn't anticipating the slide, cleared it fne, and did the rest of the course clear.

Music, who doesn't notice things as quickly, was often unprepared on the first approach ("where did THAT come from?"), and still a bit confused on the second ("Are you SURE I am supposed to jump THAT?"), was often sucessful the third attempt.

But I decided that Eventing was not her career, and we went on to be successful with straight dressage and straight show jumping.

WIth a greenie, who is distracted, and lookie, with jumps we can step over- yes, I will often go for the third attempt, and often succeed on the third attempt
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I have gone for a third attempt on ocassion and so have some of my trainer's students. Usually it is a new horse or new level and has always been at training or below.

Stops on my mare usually occured because I wasn't riding correctly to the fence. The second attempt was a failure due to me getting to rushed to get over the fence and not riding correctly the second time. The third attempt was only successful if I took a moment, straightened myself out and remembered how to ride. My mare was not the most brave over cross country, so that was part of the problem.

I have seen other students (and possibly myself) have to take a third attempt because the rider got nervous and rode the experienced horse incorrectly at the first attempt, got more nervous and a bit annoyed at the second, causing the horse to take offense and rider figured themselves out for the third.

The above are all issues you figure out before you decide to try Prelim. For instance, my mare could jump 3'6", but due to her mental issues, we decided to never try it because she was not good enough to get herself out of trouble and a crash was likely. All my trainer's students (including me) have to get over their confidence and riding issues before moving up, so you won't see us looking like a nervous wreck or hot mess of a ride around Prelim because my trainer won't let us get that far without a solid base.

I think, once you hit Prelim, it should be more rare for the third attempt and Intermediate and Advanced a third attempt should be an almost extinct beast.

I've had success on the third attempt, but again, it was at a jump with a greener horse over a smaller fence (Entry level, aka BN in the states).
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

I can say from jump judging that the third attempt rarely works. When riding, I'd stop at 2.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

For those Area IIers who have complaints about course design (lord knows I do for those who have heard me gripe), make sure to fill out event evaluation forms. The organizers and course designers don't know they're doing something wrong unless we speak up.

Steve S (Area 2 Chairman) does read them, and he reminds us in nearly every newsletter for us take advantage of this resource.

Better yet, they're available ONLINE and can be submitted... ONLINE! Yes!
    http://usea2.net/forms/event-evaluation-form
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

That online form makes that task MUCH more likely to happen for me! Thanks for the link...I just filled it out.

No kidding. I just went there and did a couple of evaluations.

I had this conversation the other day that at the same fence if its not happening after 2 attempts there is no point in having a 3rd attempt. You are better walking away and doing your homework when you have time.

Silly stops building up around the course is different but my 2 stops approach at any fence would still hold.
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Not on XC, but in the ring in a high jump contest, so take it for what it's worth:

4'8" single vertical
    14.1 hand Appy mare
    me, broken wrist in a brace

1st try: Cantered down to it the first time thinking, "Oh $h!t, that's big. Although...I know she's jumped 5' (with someone else)." Horse stops.

2nd try: Turned around, got some room, cantered down more strongly. Somewhat more positive thinking on my part. Horse stops. I think, "We can do it. I know YOU can do it; I'm just gonna hang on" and whack her on the butt.

3rd try: Turned around, got some room, thought all postive thoughts, cantered down to it & up and over we went.

I have it on tape somewhere.

I appreciated her preservation of us when it was clear to her that I had doubts. I also appreciated her willingness to go when I made it clearer that I knew she could do it and she should.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

1 members found this post helpful.

The only time I have tried a third attempt (at BN) my horse ended up getting his front feet a little caught up on the fence and dumping me, so yeah, that didn't work too well!

I've retired three times, once when my horse was not quite right from the beginning, jumped 1 and 2 sticky, stopped at 3, practically climbed over three on second attempt, jumped 4 and stopped about 20 strides out from 5. That's when we treated him for ulcers. I retired at fence 3 at our first Training because I was riding way too conservatively because I was worried about the course and had a stop at 1 and 3. I didn't want his first Training to be like that the whole way so I pulled up. And the most recent time I still kick myself for. He had a bad jump over the first fence, slammed on the brakes in the next field because he saw another horse galloping by then stopped at 2. I retired after the first stop because I thought something was wrong but in hindsight he was just being a jerk and I wish I would've kicked his butt over it.

As other have mentioned, I think multiple stops around a course are a different story. This is usually what my horse and I have an issue with because he gets easily distracted and doesn't focus on his fences all that well. So he usually stops at the first attempt, and then is fine on the second attempt once he realizes there's a jump there.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

I've never been successful going back for a third try and I also chose to retire after a second stop at Waredaca on Saturday on my novice horse. Two different fences, but I am extremely heat sensitive so rode like crap and knew it wasn't getting better. Apparently my pony is heat sensitive too bc he came off xc after doing 6 jumps looking like he'd galloped the intermediate.
    I was shocked there wasn't an option for that corner, I walked up to it and definitely peed a little. It came up pretty quickly and seemed like an intense question that early on. Made me question if I want to move up.. Ever.

It depends. I green horse who thinks the ssmall but flashy jump is pretty scary then yes I will go for the third and usually get over it. Sometimes after that I will retire though depending on the course and how the horse was jumping before that.
    On a less green horse I call it after the second. There is some reason its not happening and I don't want to make the issue worse.

I had a horse that if she ever stopped in the jumping ring (apart from a truely shocking distance from me) I would retire then and there. She didn't stop, didn't know how to I don't think. As in she has jumped through a 1.20m line with me monkeyed around her neck! So if she stopped I knew she sore somewhere.

Another yes at the ditch on a ditchy horse.

On a greeny, I would keep trying. On a more finished horse, I would think long and hard if he had stopped more than twice at something with height.