The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Let's Talk Money: Price of a Top Hunter

I am curious as to HOW outrageous the prices get for a top hunter. By "top hunter" I mean horses like Inclusive, Ovation, Jersey Boy, Way Cool, Rumba, etc. A rated show barn near me, not a BNT on the circuit, but a very well known trainer in Zone 2 has an A/O 3'3 hunter for sale for $300,000 (I know this through a groom friend). Said horse jumps like a freak with a large open step and took home 3rds and 4ths at Devon this year. If a lesser known horse like this one is for sale for $300,000 then how high do the prices get for top hunters?! I am well aware that a majority of top hunter horses and ponies are owned by the great Dr. Betsee Parker, but I'm sure she's on no kind of "budget".

Call me naive, but I am really curious!!

Easily into the high six figures/low seven for a consistent Devon/Indoors champion and derby winner. I've heard that a top, top hunter was purchased by the above owner at Devon a year or two ago for seven figures, but obviously can't confirm that one!
    However, horses like Jersey Boy as well as Way Cool, Inclusive, or any of Betsee's really, are probably not for sale for any price; I think for her it's not about the money as much as the enjoyment of having top horses - good for her!!

12 members found this post helpful.

Wowie. Looks like little me will stick with my TB giveaway mare! Hey at least she holds her own in the 3ft at rated shows!

5 members found this post helpful.

They can go anywhere from low six figs to mid 7. It all depends on the horse and the name that goes along with it. We recently had one locally that placed at Devon and indoors but not a huge name horse that went for 475k.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

2 members found this post helpful.

7 members found this post helpful.

I heard rumors that Rumba had sold in the neighborhood of 7-figures. It wouldn't surprise me all that much either.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

At what point are you pricing this hunter? I've bought horses that got top ribbons - eventually - at prices from $30-50K. But by the time they were winning at WEF or Devon, I had close to six figures into them...
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    At what point are you pricing this hunter? I've bought horses that got top ribbons - eventually - at prices from $30-50K. But by the time they were winning at WEF or Devon, I had close to six figures into them...
    Based on the original question, I don't think the OP is talking about a horse that has won some top ribbons in good company here and there, or how much it costs to get it to the point where it can win against good company on a good day. The question seems to be aimed at how much it costs to buy a proven, consistent world beater (I'm assuming this based on the names mentioned). I have no idea what the answer is, other than "way way way out of my budget now and forever".

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    They can go anywhere from low six figs to mid 7. It all depends on the horse and the name that goes along with it. We recently had one locally that placed at Devon and indoors but not a huge name horse that went for 475k.
    Mid 7 figures, as in 5 million, as in half-way to 8 figures?

Holy mole.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Seen some for 300,000 to 500,000 winning money derbys etc.

The math

Green young "nice" 5 year old prospect - $50,000.00
    (this in my area would be reasonably priced)
    Training/Board with top A trainer for 3 years - $108,000
    (includes training/board/feed/grooms)
    Campaigning/showing for those three years - $180,000
    (one week shows once a month - includes braiding, trailering, stalling, feed, rail/ride fees, grooms, classes)

You are already at $338,000.00 and horse is only 9 years old.

Not including vets, shoes, extra feed...... and if horse actually turns out a winner and without breaking.....
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Seen some for 300,000 to 500,000 winning money derbys etc.

The math

Green young "nice" 5 year old prospect - $50,000.00
    (this in my area would be reasonably priced)
    Training/Board with top A trainer for 3 years - $108,000
    (includes training/board/feed/grooms)
    Campaigning/showing for those three years - $180,000
    (one week shows once a month - includes braiding, trailering, stalling, feed, rail/ride fees, grooms, classes)

You are already at $338,000.00 and horse is only 9 years old.

Not including vets, shoes, extra feed...... and if horse actually turns out a winner and without breaking.....
    This is not what the OP asked. You could rescue a mule from a backyard in Oklahoma and spend what you quoted above on training/campaigning, and you will not get the training/campaigning money back when you decide to sell just because you spent it.

I'm pretty sure the OP wants to know what it costs to buy a proven world beater, not what it costs to make one (or attempt to make one, but fail, which is what happens more often than not).

11 members found this post helpful.

Any billionaires posting or lurking on here that want to adopt me?

26 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmedHope View Post
    Any billionaires posting or lurking on here that want to adopt me?
    Me too! Me too! Or marriage, or sons to marry off! Jk, but seriously I can't even fathom having a horse that is worth that much, around our parts, that can buy you a mortgage-free house in a good area to a mansion in the "farmette" estates.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    This is not what the OP asked. You could rescue a mule from a backyard in Oklahoma and spend what you quoted above on training/campaigning, and you will not get the training/campaigning money back when you decide to sell just because you spent it.

I'm pretty sure the OP wants to know what it costs to buy a proven world beater, not what it costs to make one (or attempt to make one, but fail, which is what happens more often than not).
    Okay - - - I was simply pointing out the reason that maybe some of them cost that kind of money because of the OP comment here

I am curious as to HOW outrageous the prices get for a top hunter
    I guess I don't understand the stress going on here...?
    But whatever.....
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

4 members found this post helpful.

The best way to make a small fortune in horses is to start with a large fortune.

23 members found this post helpful.

Small spin-off, but at that level how much would easiness/ammy friendliness affect the price? For example, and obviously I do not know the horses personally at all, but from interviews and comments by their riders Rumba seems quite a bit easier than Jersey Boy, for example.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    Okay - - - I was simply pointing out the reason that maybe some of them cost that kind of money because of the OP comment here

I guess I don't understand the stress going on here...?
    But whatever.....
    I'm not seeing any stress here but I don't take the internet as seriously as some so maybe I'm missing something. My point was that SPENDING a great deal of money on training and campaigning a horse in no way guarantees that that money will ever be seen again when the owner decides to sell. This is a point that seems to be completely lost on many who post on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    The best way to make a small fortune in horses is to start with a large fortune.
    Agreed!
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Small spin-off, but at that level how much would easiness/ammy friendliness affect the price? For example, and obviously I do not know the horses personally at all, but from interviews and comments by their riders Rumba seems quite a bit easier than Jersey Boy, for example.
    Not to discredit any of the top hunter riders, but I think the reason these horses consistently win is because they know their job. Not only are they beautiful, absolutely amazing movers, but when they get in the ring, they know. I would call that ammy friendly - knowing your job. Not all of these horses are ammy friendly, of course, but I suspect a large part are, simply because they know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by iEquitate View Post
    I've heard that a top, top hunter was purchased by the above owner at Devon a year or two ago for seven figures, but obviously can't confirm that one!
    I think we're thinking of the same horse... And it's true.