The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Based on the info provided below, which brand would you get?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Antares

17 50.00%
  • CWD

17 50.00%

Question Help me decide on a saddle!

Hi everyone! I won't trouble you with the detailed stories from trying saddles, but essentially, I am stuck between ordering a saddle from CWD or Antares. I have listed the pros and cons of each below. Please help me decide which is the right choice!

Antares

Pros:
    Most detailed fitting- fitter spent a lot of time fitting to my horse as well as myself. Really was a perfectionist about finding the right combination of flap length, flap position, seat size, seat depth, and paneling.
    Offered the buffalo option I wanted for free

Cons:
    Nearest rep is 5 hours away, so any fitting issues I may have will mainly be communicated over the phone or email
    The closest saddle to what I would be ordering was brand new, so it was hard for me to visualize whether I really was comfortable and secure in the saddle.
    Would have to pay for new stirrup leathers on top of the price of the saddle.
    No trade in option for my current saddle.

CWD
    Pros:
    Rep let me ride in the demo saddle for a couple weeks, and I really loved riding in it. Felt secure and really loved my leg position in the saddle. Very well loved demo so it was super comfortable!
    Rep is very local and has been able to visit my barn personally multiple times since my initial fitting. Very nice and I feel would be very helpful if I ever had fitting issues in the future.
    Free stirrup leathers!
    Offered trade in for my saddle

Cons:
    Although he spent a decent amount of time fitting, I felt much more confident in the Antares' salesman's fitting job.
    Only had me sit in one seat before declaring that was the right depth and size for me.
    Didn't get to try out multiple flaps, including the one I would be ordering.
    Only has full buffalo option (+$800), and has offered no discount.

Very torn between the two so advice is welcomed!

Why don't you save the money and ask if you could buy the demo CWD that you loved? Just a random thought!
    Von Hendrix aka Jimi

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd go with the Antares. Fitting the horse is always my top concern and they generally do a great job with the rider. Antares also last forever and hold their value, we recently bought one for my sister that was 10 years old and we still paid 2,400 for it. Antares also will do a trade in if you need a saddle for a new horse in a year or two and they do well via long distance.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I'm an Antares fan. The rep lived several hours away from me and they were super helpful in correcting fitting issues once I received the saddle. First with photos, then when I still didn't feel right they came right out to fix it.
    Plus I simply loved the Antares over the CWDs.

I'm a big time CWD fan. On my second now and even new and unbroken in I love it! I've never ridden on an Antares that fit me properly and the tree shape just dosent work for my horse. Every encounter I have had with my CWD fitter has been super! She did a great job fitting the saddle to my horse. When my old saddle didn't fit my horse right the problem was fixed quickly and I haven't had an issue since.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

You could not pry my Antares out of my cold, dead hands

That said, I bought it lightly used so I have no experience with the rep or a perfectly custom fit (though it's pretty dang close!)
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I chose CWD and loved it, never had a single complaint about it. But, fitting your horse is the first priority and if you feel the Antares rep gives you the best fitting saddle for your horse than go with Antares.

Quote Originally Posted by mckenna310 View Post
    Why don't you save the money and ask if you could buy the demo CWD that you loved? Just a random thought!
    Great suggestion, even crossed my mind as well. Unfortunately, the flap is not forward enough for me and it needs adjustments to the panels to fit my horse properly.

I have both. Antares in a heartbeat.

Love my Antares.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

I don't think you can ask others what saddle is the best fit for you. Only you can make that decision. Go with your gut. You own a saddle for a long time. Don't chintz.

Ditto monalisa. Pick the saddle that fits you and your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
    I don't think you can ask others what saddle is the best fit for you. Only you can make that decision. Go with your gut. You own a saddle for a long time. Don't chintz.
    Oh I absolutely agree. The reason I posted this is I really liked both of these brands, and am equally torn between the too, so I was wondering what others felt was more valuable, an intensive fitting vs. a local rep for example. I eliminated many many brands to get to these final two. Basically, either of these I'd be thrilled with, but I'm struggling with making the final decision.

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

I liked both so went to WEF to try those two and Devoucoux. Ended up selecting the CWD. I liked the salesmanship, customer service, the knowledge the rep had and shared about the line and the saddle that I chose and I loved the fit and feel of the saddle.

It has made a huge difference in my comfort in riding one horse in particular at my barn and I can (as corny as this sounds) feel his movement is much freer in the shoulder than in my last saddle (a Dover Circuit Elite).

I got a free girth, free leathers, free name plate (that's pretty much standard) chose the hide (I got the SE01 in calf), color, seat size, flap size, type of blocks and size of blocks. I'm thrilled with my purchase.

Someone told me that they all give you free leathers and girth yet when I went to Devoucoux and Antares, they did not offer that to me. And, a friend in my barn bought two Devoucoux less than 12 mos apart from each other and they didn't give her free anything.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

The CWD stirrup leathers suck. Get some with flat buckles for half the money.

Go with the company that worked hard to fit your horse.

In my experience CWD doesn't give a darn once you pay. Antares has always been super to me making my saddles from them fit. And if they offered you buffalo for free that's a stellar deal.
    friend of bar.ka.

Don't rush to decide - it's OK to call up both companies & ask for another demo saddle to ride: as both reps have measured you & your horse, it should not be too difficult to have a demo shipped in for a longer trial - unless you or your horse are very unique, something should be available.

Don't get hung up on the "free" stirrup leathers/girth etc, these are part of the business model & built into the saddle price.

Do ask about the process involved in after delivery adjustments, e.g. if tree needs to be widened, panel needs to be adjusted, blocks aren't quite right, pommel is too high, twist is wider/narrower than the demo, flap is too short/long etc, horse is just not happy, rider is just not happy, trainer is just not happy etc, etc ...
    Then get all those promises in writing

Then calculate downtime that might be involved with any adjustments (remember to include shipping costs & time), again ask for written confirmation - the more you have in writing, the less you can be affected by changes in company reps etc.

If you read the various threads on here, it will give you a feeling for things that might go wrong or that you may find you do not like in a saddle.

Do try to demo "new" saddles from both companies so you won't panic when your never been ridden in before saddle feels completely different from that long ago demo ride.

With the less local rep, ask for a schedule, what happens if you're the only booking? is the appointment cancelled/rebooked etc?
    With the local rep, what happens if that rep leaves, how far away is the replacement?