The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default EIS or alternative?

Question - so I recently got a Kerrits Ice Fil long sleeve shirt on Tack of the Day, and it came, and I like it - especially since it doesn't run SOOO small like lots of other shirts. So I want to get a few more, potentially to show in jumper classes. I don't think the Kerrits will work, it's a bit too casual and has the pocket on the side.

So I would love to get something that fits similarly (read, not so tight it shows every little lump and bump, but also not sloppy loose).

Is EIS the only really acceptable option out there, or are there others that might work as well? I just hate to spend $90 a pop on the EIS shirts.

Any thoughts? I'm guessing the EIS runs a bit small, so I ought to order up if I have to go that direction, right?

Try the Romfh shirts. We sold 15 at my tack shop last week alone! Retail around $69.00

Eis are not actually show shirts. If you want one to wear under a jacket the best is the Essex talent yarn. If you want a shirt not with a jacket Wellington classics (Dover sells them) Ice fill shirts look exactly like EIS buy are only 54 dollars.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I love love love the Romfh shirts. I like them better than the EIS. And they have proper wrap collars.

Charles Owen/Wellington Collection makes an EIS knockoff type shirt in different colors.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I can't find the Wellington shirts on the Dover website, am I missing something? I'm not trying to find something to wear under a jacket, just a long sleeve shirt that is wicking/cooling that I can get away with showing in for non-classic rounds.

I have a Romfh I need to sell, bought an XL, and it's just too big for me - but I was worried that if I got a L, it would be too small. And I can't return it to the place I bought it from. Sigh. Sometimes all this stuff is just too complicated...

Pretty sure this is the Wellington

http://www.tackshackocala.com/exairperish.html
    ~Veronica

~Veronica

I LOVE my EIS shirt and have gotten my $90 worth! I ride in it, I go to class in it, I go out to eat in it, I even sleep in it. It's the best and totally worth it! I got two Under Armour shirts that were very very similar and half the price of the EIS shirts... There is a huge difference. The EIS shirt will not snag, the Under Armours snag on EVERYTHING. I can't say enough good things about the EIS shirts.
    Last edited by TEV94; Jun. 3, 2013 at 08:18 PM.

Ok, maybe I can be convinced to splurge on one if they are that good...what color do you have? I wish they had just plain gray without the contrasting zipper.....any recommendations? I would go white, but I'm afraid it would get filthy....Thanks for the advice!

I have the royal/medium blue. I think it's "Sapphire." I love it with my black, grey, brown, navy, and tan breeches. I don't know if they still have that color or not.

ETA: I also prefer the stand up collar to the polo type collar.

Last year my daughter found something she liked almost as much as the EIS at LLBean. Definitely not a show shirt, but great for out hacking in the sun. No idea if they still sell it.

I have a pink, purple, royal blue, orange, teal, and white. Love all of them.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I have about 6 of the EIS shirts and they are a life saver for the Texas weather and showing in the sun. Our barn is actually going to get some embroidered to wear in Kentucky next month! That being said, I also like the Swing brand shirts. They are golf shirts but almost exactly the same design without the weird bib thing around the zipper that the EIS shirts have. I think their price point is a little lower too.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Eis are not actually show shirts. If you want one to wear under a jacket the best is the Essex talent yarn. If you want a shirt not with a jacket Wellington classics (Dover sells them) Ice fill shirts look exactly like EIS buy are only 54 dollars.
    Why are they all white? Can't we get some technical show quality shirts (i.e.: no visible zipper) in some color?!?!? I like the Romfh ones too, but they have the same problem - base color is white... Bummer!

OP - let me know if you find any technical shirts that are show quality that are not white. The Smartpak ones appear to be decent, but I haven't tried one yet.

I just got the Ariat sunshirt (I think it's called the sunstopper) and I like it a lot. It doesn't have the ice fil technology though-but I would definitely feel fine doing some jumper classes in it!

Dover also carries an IceFil shirt in the same styling as the EIS now under their Riding Sport brand. Not sure how the fit compares.

I also think the Swing shirts by Bette & Court are worth looking at.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    Dover also carries an IceFil shirt in the same styling as the EIS now under their Riding Sport brand. Not sure how the fit compares.

I also think the Swing shirts by Bette & Court are worth looking at.
    I bet they no longer carry the Wellington because they're selling that exact shirt under their own Rider's brand.
    ~Veronica

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I bet they no longer carry the Wellington because they're selling that exact shirt under their own Rider's brand.
    I have the EIS - the Wellington and the new Dover "Riding Sport" one. I speculate that the Riding Sport one may be manufactured for Dover by Wellington. They are identical. Bought it in the store for $49

Quote Originally Posted by sarcam02 View Post
    I have the EIS - the Wellington and the new Dover "Riding Sport" one. I speculate that the Riding Sport one may be manufactured for Dover by Wellington. They are identical. Bought it in the store for $49
    The fit on the EIS is very tight and the other two brands are more boxy

Quote Originally Posted by sarcam02 View Post
    The fit on the EIS is very tight and the other two brands are more boxy
    How do the others run length-wise? I know that I feel my EIS runs a bit short for my taste.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

1 members found this post helpful.