The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pentosan Pricing - Can Anyone Confirm Wedgewood Price?

Quick question for those of you that have gotten the Pentosan from Wedgewood - can you post what price you have paid (particularly looking for the 50 ml @ 250 mg concentration)? I see on other threads people have paid something a lot less than my vet quoted me, and when I questioned the vet today, the receptionist said Wedgewood gave her a price that was a lot more than that... So they are willing to write me a script to get it direct, I just want to make sure it is worth doing. It would make a huge difference to me in as my vet is giving me a price of $190 plus tax and shipping for the 50 ml but I see others paying quite a bit less when ordered direct. Thanks!

In late March, I paid $109 for a shipment from Wedgewood of the 250 mg/ml inj 50 ml bottle. Plus $10 for freight, plus $7.63 for tax for a total of $126.63.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

horsepoor is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Alibhai's Alibar View Post
    In late March, I paid $109 for a shipment from Wedgewood of the 250 mg/ml inj 50 ml bottle. Plus $10 for freight, plus $7.63 for tax for a total of $126.63.
    Thank you! Any others?

Your vet is screwing you I think. I just paid 170 for a 100cc bottle. The 50cc bottle would have been like 109 so I went with the big one.

Original Poster

Well, my vet hasn't charged me yet, so no screwing yet. That's why I was checking, as the receptionist/office girl seemed genuinely shocked and they are supposed to check and get back to me. But I was wanting to arm myself with other examples for them, hence the thread and q.

$109 plus $10 shipping or $160 plus shipping for 100ml.

If your vet will write you a script and you can order directly from wedgewood it's much cheaper. If not (like my vet) they will mark it up. Some states have a law that says the vet has to write you a script if you ask for one, others (like PA) don't.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    $109 plus $10 shipping or $160 plus shipping for 100ml.
    That is what I pay as well.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

$140 for a 100 ml bottle, from my vet, who gets it from Wedgewood (the label is on the bottle).
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Original Poster

Very helpful; thank you all! This vet has generally been quite reasonable on meds, that's why I was kind of shocked at the difference, so wanted to make sure I had some numbers for them. Sure can make it go from affordable to downright cheap.

Ditto on the Wedgewood price. As for "screwing by the vet," it is standard procedure to make a profit on pharmaceuticals. And yes, they usually double the price. But if they don't make a profit, they don't stay in business. My vet will try to price match and calls in prescriptions when appropriate. However, when I need something right now, I'm glad to pay the mark up for the benefit of getting the drug immediately. Just like any other business, they need to be able to pay the overhead and the staff for ordering your drugs.