The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gelded donkey needing new home- Central TX

We have a small, young (~3yrs) donkey that we would like to rehome. He isn't current on his coggins right now, but we could take care of that as well as vaccines. He is halter broke but can decide he doesn't want to go sometimes, similar to how he feels about getting his hooves trimmed. Pharaoh is a great, sweet little guy, perfect with the horses but rowdy with the sheep. Since we are a small sheep farm, a different setup would work better for him. He would be a lovely companion for horses or cows. If we do not find a different home, he will stay here but just wanted to put this out there for someone looking for a companion animal.

I'm looking for a young, small donkey. What do you mean "rowdy" with sheep. I have a sheep that I bottle raised. She and my horse have become TOO attached and I'm tired of having to haul the sheep with me every time I take the horse somewhere.

I'm looking for a companion for my sheep to keep her from freaking out when I take the horse to shows.

Pharaoh would probably not work out with your ewe. He used to try to herd the rams when he was in their pasture- mind you these are 250lb dorper rams. He would push them to keep them from wandering off. He never bit or kicked anyone but as these are breeding animals we can't risk injuries. With horses he is great-he plays rough with my gelding but never with the mares.

Quote Originally Posted by AMT View Post
    He is halter broke but can decide he doesn't want to go sometimes
    I have had 2 donkeys and both of them were like this sometimes. I think it might just be a donkey thing.