The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Star was getting senior feed (Star Milling's Integrity, which is fairly local to our area) but the vets at the hospital had me reduce it down to just enough to feed supplements and add the extra hay. Part of that was simply applying the scientific method by eliminating variables. My vet concurred though she had me add timothy to the alfalfa he was already getting.

The most alarming symptom he had, aside from the weight loss, was just a blah attitude. Like he wanted to do the equine equivalent of sit on the couch and watch old musicals. The diarrhea that the OP's horse has would be far more alarming.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by TPF Hunter View Post
    I went through this with my older gelding and switched him to Senior feed and added Smart Digest from Smartpak. Seemed to do the trick! His manure has been completely normal since and its only $10-$15 a month. I think the probiotics are what helped him. Also if you try it and it doesnt work you can up it to Smart Digest ULTRA that has even better ingredients.
    I had a horse on that once and it helped him as well; when/if we get Scrappy stabilized and get the diarrhea stopped, I will probably put him on it, too.

I too would worry about cancer. I lost a mare about a year and a half ago. She was shiny coated but thin and I just could not get the weight on her. I had taken her back fro a bad lease situation. It turned out that she had cancer. She was not that old, maybe 11 or 12. Sad.

Could he have an infection like Salmonella?

Colitis?
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    Could he have an infection like Salmonella?

Colitis?
    I wondered about this yesterday. The vet is coming back in the morning first thing (7:30am!) to do an ultrasound, rectal exam, and collect more samples for testing. I'm going to specifically ask that he test for salmonella and C. Difficilis, and ask about colitis. Scrappy decided last night he would no longer eat the Metamucil, despite it being flavorless and disguised in brown sugar. BioSponge is on the way, but I'm beginning to wonder how I will get that down him either, since he is being so picky.

Had this issue with my 29 year old gelding. Have your vet check his stool for blood -- its a pretty simple, quick, inexpensive test. Turns out my gelding had hind gut ulcers. Initially treated with sucralfate, and now he's on RiteTrac with excellent results.

Btw -- if you are interested in a good price on RiteTrac, its on sale at the moment:

http://www.simplypetsupplies.com/pd-...--66-pound.cfm

--really really good price, and don't forget their coupon codes:

http://www.simplypetsupplies.com/coupons.cfm
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

I have a Thbd/Trakehner and he had horribly runny manure I've tried everything. It finally went away when I put him on Equivision's ADR paste. It went right away. Right now I have him on Succeed because it was less expensive and the runny diarrhea came back. I've never heard about the power pack, but I like the looks of it.

Good luck!

Any update?
    Kerri

Quote Originally Posted by kasjordan View Post
    Any update?
    There are no tumors showing up in either ultrasound or rectal exam, so that's good. We pulled more blood for testing, and he took another stool sample to send to the lab for cultures -- but we won't have those results until Monday. He gave him a shot of anti-inflammatory (Dex, he called it, short for something else). Still no temperature. I guess now it's a wait and see game. The BioSponge will be here shortly, I hope. I asked about salmonella, and he said they would check, but with the other horses being fine, he felt it was unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvegates View Post
    Had this issue with my 29 year old gelding. Have your vet check his stool for blood -- its a pretty simple, quick, inexpensive test. Turns out my gelding had hind gut ulcers. Initially treated with sucralfate, and now he's on RiteTrac with excellent results.

Btw -- if you are interested in a good price on RiteTrac, its on sale at the moment:

http://www.simplypetsupplies.com/pd-...--66-pound.cfm

--really really good price, and don't forget their coupon codes:

http://www.simplypetsupplies.com/coupons.cfm
    Thanks. We'll see what the lab results come back with. I hope it's something that simple, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by jillanddaniel View Post
    I have a Thbd/Trakehner and he had horribly runny manure I've tried everything. It finally went away when I put him on Equivision's ADR paste. It went right away. Right now I have him on Succeed because it was less expensive and the runny diarrhea came back. I've never heard about the power pack, but I like the looks of it.

Good luck!
    I will keep that in mind -- did you get it from the vet, or order it online?

I had great success with biosponge when my otherwise healthy girl came down with extreme diarrhea seemingly overnight. It comes in a tube just like bute paste so I didn't really give her an option. I haltered her twice a day, medicated, and then followed up with a treat. By day two she lowered her head for the biosponge. I don't think it tastes too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    I had great success with biosponge when my otherwise healthy girl came down with extreme diarrhea seemingly overnight. It comes in a tube just like bute paste so I didn't really give her an option. I haltered her twice a day, medicated, and then followed up with a treat. By day two she lowered her head for the biosponge. I don't think it tastes too bad.
    Thanks. I probably should have ordered the tube instead of the bucket, given how picky he is, but honestly, he's such a snot -- he'll hold the wormer in his mouth and spit it out when you turn your back. One way is as good as another.

I am having pretty good luck with my runny poop guy who is 21 on Smartpaks Omega and their TLC anti-inflammatory supplements. They have pre-biotics. I also wanted to say that my guy gets bad diarrhea from Dex. He also spits out his wormer, usually on me.

Hope all works out.

Years ago I had a horse that acted much like your horse, he was younger about 10-11, at the time. It turned out to be Salmonella. The vet I was using at the time totally missed it. I called in another young vet and he immediately started treating for Salmonella and the horse turned around fast. Needless to say I changed vets and still using the vet who saved my horse some 30 years later.

Hoping for a positive report on your boy soon.

We have a gelding that had flaming squirts for an extended period of time. Metronidazole was the answer, knocked it out in 24 hours. It comes back about every two or three years and we just repeat the treatment. It was so bad in the beginning we thought we were going to lose him.

I'd also like to suggest the possibility of salmonella, especially if the horse's manure has a 'smell' to it. I didn't notice it with mine since I was used to it, but others sometimes did. We recently found that my 26/27 year-old gelding was infected with salmonella, and after treatment all runny manure issues were resolved. Our vet used NeighLox and NeighLox Advanced to restore proper gut flora and to promote digestive health. (He also had ulcers.) They worked quite well.

Hi there, so many posts I didn't read through them so I could be repeting what someone else has already said. Have you considered encysted small strongyles? Look at this article for more detail - http://www.applesnoats.com/strongyles.pdf.

Our senior had same problem. Which was completely resolved when we tool him off senior or any grain for that matter and fed him alfalfa or Timothy pellets and beet bulp. No hay -- not even safe starch. We used speedi beet which is flakes and turns to mush when soaked in hot water for ten minutes. Believe me, we tried everything -- and everything gave us short term good results. But the speedi beet was what finally worked. Good luck to you!