The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Has been 3, but now that she's closer, I'm aiming for 4, and then maybe 5 if we're prepping for a local/small show. Used to be 5 days of work, 1 hack/play day, and 1 off day when we were showing a lot last spring.
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

At the barn every day, but usually ride 4 or 5 days a week. I have two, so I usually ride both 30 - 45 minutes, depending on what we're working on.

Interesting thread. I never know how much is too much so haven't crossed the line yet. My goal is every other day but sometimes the weather ruins that schedule.

At present, riding every day that isn't raining. First 2013 show in 2 weeks. Getting polished up for that.
    Ride like you mean it.

3-4x week, riding one horse. My other horse is retired and the pony I just play around with (but am resolved to get her driving this summer, so pony training time will increase. Winter it's pretty much just weekends due to no daylight.
    I hang out with them--quick groom, changing turnout arrangements, scratching favorite spots, etc--at least 30-40min a day.
    Since I started doing marathons a few years ago, my riding time suffers when I'm in heavy race training. Just too damn tired sometimes.

I ride 5 days a week - I try for 1-2 of those to be trail rides in the summer because I can haul to higher elevations where it is cooler than at my house!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

anywhere between 3-6 days a week. I'm a server in college with no official arena or indoor so the footing can be pretty iffy. I'm just glad to be able to ride that much!!!

Depends on weather (no indoor) but usually 4-5 days a week, more or less.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Usually 3 times a week, year round, rain or shine.

It seems like I'm always in a hurry, and if I ride him too often, he actually gets too fit for my schedule. If I average 20-30 minutes of available ride time, and I have 40 minutes of horse under me, the first 10 can get pretty interesting

1 members found this post helpful.

It depends on several factors, cannot give an exact answer.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

I'm at the barn every day, have one horse, and generally ride 6 days a week...one of those days a trail ride. In the summer I cut back to 5 days...100+ temps make riding a little less fun.

Just throw a leg over? 4-5 days a week. Really ride? 1-4 days a week. I often hop on bareback and do a quick spin down to the mailbox or across the street. I don't really consider that riding, more like relaxation time. We trail ride as often and long as we can.

1-3 days a week. The Tank lives outside 24/7, so if I miss more than a few days due to work/weather, no biggie.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Define 'ride' are we talking about saddle, bridle, martingale, boots, breeches, trainer... the whole shebang or increasingly slovenly riding down to the point of just snapping on another lead to the halter hopping on and letting the horse take you to where you are too lazy to walk yourself.

Whole shebang maybe once a month if that.
    The other.. two, three times a week.
    Do we get points for just showing up and saying Hi to them and not riding at all??
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

At the barn everyday, ride mine five days a week--four days of work (includes a lesson), one day of fun stuff like a walk down the road, light hack, trail ride, etc. Then she gets two days off. I ride others throughout the week.
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

My gelding gets worked twice a day, 7 days a week (rehab). Lunged once, ridden once. My 2 young mares are ridden 5-6 days a week and lunged 1-2. My dressage horse gets ridden 3-4 days and lunged once. I generally don't ride or work them long, 20 min is the norm. And all my guys live out 24/7, so they have plenty of time to just wander around. Luckily, I run our barn, so I have the ability to fit in my rides between chores, lessons, etc. Not sure how I'd do it if I had a job off the farm.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

I ride 5-6 times a week. Prefer 6. 90% of my rides are hard working rides at least 45 mins long, with the odd trail ride or light day thrown in.

I ride my reiner 3-4 days per week. I keep my horses at home and have to haul to the arena so usually lesson on Fridays after work and Sunday mornings. I try to haul over to ride on my own at least 1 night after work and frequently for a short ride on Saturday afternoon. Any less and I forget how to ride, any more and I have more horse than I want (which was sort of the case when he was in full training before I brought him home). He's turned out 14-24 hours per day depending on weather, so gets plenty of self exercise.

My other horse is recently fully retired and the mini mule is just for giggles.

5 days a week, weather permitting. I try to give him two days a week off, one hack/light work/trail day, and do serious work four days a week.

I generally ride 5-6 days per week. Some days are ring work, some days are trail rides and then there is the occasional toodle about the farm. Today(Sunday) was a toodle ride. Saturday we had done a charity ride and done around 6 miles thru varied terrain. My friend and I were both feeling a little tired so mostly walked with a little trot and canter. This am(Monday) will go out and do some ring work, Tuesday trail ride from the farm, Wednesday, Thursday ring work, Friday trail ride from farm. Saturday we are going to an area state park for a club ride.

I work nights and have classes in the afternoons/evenings, which is fortunately pretty conducive to riding most days. My horses are at home and I don't have an indoor, but I'll ride 6-7 days a week weather permitting. Even if I have time constraints and I have just 15-20 minutes to hop on and w/t/c, I do my best to keep in the routine of riding when I get home from work early in the morning.