The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default fly spray spill (in the car!)

Yesterday, hubby and I were out running errands. One stop was to Tractor Supply to get fly spray. I put the fly spray behind the passenger seat (on the floorboard).

Next we went to the grocery store. When we got back in the car, it reeked of fly spray. The bottle had turned over and a good bit had leaked onto the carpet. It wasn't a whole bottle but probably about 1/3 or 1/2 of a bottle. Part of the carpet was soaked.

When we got home, we blotted up as much as we could with paper towels. Then soaked it a few times with hot water (vacuumed the water with a shop vac) and also did a soap and water treatment.

The smell is better this morning, but it's definitely still there. We are also leaving the windows cracked to help it air out. Any suggestions for other things we can try to get rid of the smell? Will it just take more time?

I'm weird, I love the smell of the RepelX lol. I bet it won't take all that long for it to go away, heck- it leaves the horses in about a day ;-)
    Kerri

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, I didn't think the smell was as offensive as hubby did.

Dump a load of bicarb on it to absorb the smell?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Dry tea bags! Seriously... lol. I have never had a dog/kiddo spill (including some nasty puppy motion sickness) that it can't get the smell up from. If the spot has dried up, re-wet it and then stick some tea bags on it to absorb the smell. I swear I'm not crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

DampRid available at any Lowes or HomeDepot!

I left the truck window open one summer and the barn cat peed in the cab. I washed it out with enzymatic spray but the smell hung around forever.

Well about the same time I accidently left the big 1 Gallon DampRid I keep in the horse trailer when its not being used (if you haven't tried that its fantastic! It elimnates condensation in the trailer durring the wet months and keeps the horse stink from permiating in to the floors)..

Anyways I was buying the big 1 gallon tub and I saw one that was for Odors too, I think it had charcol to help too. Anyways, I stuck the container in there and it sucked up the stink! Not the "OdorGene" one but this one: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...FQFyQgodFy0AEA

Works great!

Well the good news is that your car not only smells good (Pfft Hubby just doesn't know what smells good) but it will be fly free.

I had a flyspray spill coming home from TSC last week too. Luckily my whole spill was contained in the plastic bag and other than some soggy braiding bands- no mess other than (sigh) the loss of 25% of the $$ flyspray I just paid for.

Anyway- let that be a lesson to us to check the bottles extra carefully and stow upright.

Now... anyone have any tips for the smell of rancid melted butter from last summer?