The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Omeprazole & SmartDigest Ultra?

I have a horse on stall rest who is getting Omeprazole to prevent him from developing ulcers. I would like to try SmartDigest Ultra as well, but am unsure if it would be ok to take in connection with Omeprazole. The vet ok'd it but I'm not positive he looked thoroughly at the ingredient list in SmartDigest. Do any of you COTH experts have any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by KiraSophia View Post
    I have a horse on stall rest who is getting Omeprazole to prevent him from developing ulcers. I would like to try SmartDigest Ultra as well, but am unsure if it would be ok to take in connection with Omeprazole. The vet ok'd it but I'm not positive he looked thoroughly at the ingredient list in SmartDigest. Do any of you COTH experts have any thoughts on this?
    Why would you add an unproven supplement when the horse is already getting gold-standard pharmacotherapy? Waste of money.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Why would you add an unproven supplement when the horse is already getting gold-standard pharmacotherapy? Waste of money.
    Because I'm concerned about colic and his tendency toward loose stools, plus the colic surgery reimbursement should he get it.

2 members found this post helpful.

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

I just treated for ulcers and now have my older EPM mare on SmartGut... not sure what the difference between the 2 is and if it's worth the price difference.

My 23-yo mare, a cribber, is on both. The omeprazole for healing/prevention, and the SmartGut Ultra for long-term maintenance. Omeprazole is not recommended for long-term maintenance, as I have heard it. I understand from SmartPak that the SmartGut ultra can support the horse during weaning-off of omeprazole, which I'll start to do in another week or two.

My horse has been on SmartGut regular for years; the Ultra reputedly (per Smartpak) has, I believe, colic protection as well as ulcer protection.

Though as Deltawave says, it's not proven other than SmartPak testimonials.

My horse is doing well.

I believe it is fine to give your horse both. I had my mare on a preventative dose of omeprazole for a couple years due to her proclivity toward colic and generally often having loose manure, in spite of careful horse care management. I assumed the problem was ulcer related, but had not had her scoped. After she recovered from a severe (hospitalized but no surgery) bout of colic in August, I took her in to actually have her scoped for ulcers. She had none and the vet felt omeprazole wasn't warranted, so I put her on the SmartDigest Ultra instead. It works great for my horse - for the first time since I've owned (9 years) her she has had no loose manure or any other sign of gastric discomfort. I started her on the supplement in October so it's been quite a few months of consistent results. For my horse at least, it works better than anything else I've tried. I will still give my horse omeprazole for stressful situations like horse shows.

SmartDigest did nothing for my highly ulcer-prone TB. I've been supplementing with SmartOmega 3 along with a buffer. However, never had any digestive issues, loose stools, etc with ulcers.

It's fine to have your horse on both. My horse is just finished ulcer treatment last month and I have him on both SmartGut Ultra and SmartDigest Ultra.

NeverEnd, I wouldn't expect SmartDigest to help prevent ulcers in an ulcer prone horse, that's not what it's designed for. SmartDigest is for the hindgut, it's SmartGut that's for stomach health.

It's worth a try, since SmartPak offers a 60 day money-back guarantee on their Smartproducts. I tried their SmartShine Ultra (to help with hoof quality) and since my farrier recently told me that I need to add a hoof supplement, it obviously wasn't working, so I called and they gave me my money back and I switched to a different supplement. They're great that way.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I won't put a horse on omeprazole without something additional after my guy developed hind gut ulcers while on (long term) omeprazole. I still use Gastroguard for shows, but I've also got him on Succeed, a probiotic, and SmartGut (or one of the Smart supplements, can't remember which offhand, and every time I order it shows up different, so we've cycled through SmartGut, SmartDigest, and one other).

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

I think you should be fine feeding both as the SmartDigest Ultra doesn't have an antacid ingredient. That's what I would be worried about when giving Omeprazole and another supplement because they do need to still be able to break down the food and digest it. I decided to try my guy on SmartDigest Ultra because i think he is allergic to Succeed and he seems to be doing well on it, but if I just had to choose only 2 products for his tummy I would choose Equishure (hind gut buffer) and EquiOtics (it's a probiotic). I'm not sure if I will reoder the the SmartDigest Ultra - I probably will get at least one more bucket because his stomach looks amazing right now (literally I can just tell by looking at his stomach because last year it was so bloated he looked pregnant) and I don't really want to change anything!! He is also on psyllium which I think has helped a lot too.

There is nothing wrong with adding SmartDigest Ultra on top of the omeprazole you are already giving. Smartdigest is intended to support the hindgut as it is mostly probiotics, etc. It would probably be helpful for your guy on stall rest since his forage will be limited.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis