The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

FWIW---I've been watching the Upperville live feed, and Joe Fargis was doing it in a jumper round. I consider him to be pretty knowledgeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by galloping-gourmet View Post
    So, I guess we are all 'clear as mud'. The video just above with Kelly Farmer, is not the same 'posting' she was using on RF Amber Eyes. That was a up one, down one.

I know it has a purpose - to me to add impulsion on horses out galloping in the hunt field. To some to steady the rhythm . However, what I've seen now is a 'fad' - just like riding in the 'new, correct, must have' saddle that is currently in fashion. People will follow their 'leader', and pretty soon many are posting the canter, and don't even know why...that is what I don't like....

And I disagree (respectfully) that the seat is not a driving aid...it is.
    I feel the same way. Especially about the follow the leader thing.............
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Just happened to catch Kelly Farmer riding the former event horse, Commentary, at Upperville, and I felt she used the posting much better than the round I saw at Devon. She did appear to be using it to regulate pace, and was not simply posting the whole way around like she did last week (and got a score of 85)... glad to see that what I saw last week was not necessarily normal for her on every horse.

I think your seat is a driving aid, in a way that, when you are sitting it is easier to put your leg on more effectively versus putting your leg on while in half seat.

Kelly's job is to go out there and win money & ribbons and get horses sold. I am sure she doesn't care a rat's_________ if any one emulates her. Don't think its high on her list if a bunch of bad riding amateurs and kids start posting the canter. Just point her to the next Derby check and she'll be happy :-)
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

2 members found this post helpful.

Liza Boyd does it. While I think she is incredible as well as Kelly Farmer, it is somewhat "off looking" but they get the job done and it obviously hasn't distracted too bad from the entire picture I think every top rider has their own techinque that works for them and I could only hope to have 1% of either of their talent.
    Last edited by TPF Hunter; Jun. 5, 2013 at 09:39 AM.
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

Agreed that every rider has their own technique! If it gets the job done effectively, gets good results/ribbons, and the horses are happy, who really cares how they ride?? Equitation is SO overrated!!!!! Riding by feel and experience is the real deal.

Joe has always done it. But thirty plus years ago, he was the only one that did it. And none of the old classic hunter riders(Charlie, Leslie, Katie, Patty, Martha, etc.) ever did it. It is definitely a newer "technique" that probably started because a successful rider did it and then was copied. I have never come across a description of it in any books on classical riding.

I also find it distracting and don't like it. And the goal of ANY hunter rider should be to be as subtle and invisible as possible, as hunters is ALL about showcasing the horse. This doesn't fit that criteria, IMO. But, that's life in horse showing today...
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

3 members found this post helpful.

It would be my bet that in part, the old time hunter riders didnt use it because the more often rode TBs with their own motor. Just my observation, but WBs sometime need a little more help. A generalization, absolutely, but I think that may have some part if the increasing prevalence of the technique.

3 members found this post helpful.

^^ except that there are top riders today who do not post the canter... or if they do they do it very subtly in the corner for a step or two. What I hate most of all is seeing 8 yr old pony riders doing it. You think they are doing it to make their pony go? or because that's just what they see, monkey see monkey do. I am with LaurieP 100%, our job as hunter riders should be to disappear on the horse, and make THEM stand out, not our "style".

2 members found this post helpful.

I was taught to tread in the 70's. It can help teach you to balance from a 3 point to 2 point. It can teach you rhythm at the canter and pace. You can use it to control a horse's pace. You can also give yourself some rest while out hunting, stretch a little. I think treading was also something that could be asked of you in an equitation class.

Just curious – when did this start to become prevalent? I showed H/J off and on (between eventing!) back in the mid 1990’s (1993-1999).

I do not remember seeing a posting canter.