The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Too Hot or Too Cold?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Really cold weather

27 45.00%
  • Really hot weather

33 55.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Hot Weather or Cold Weather?

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I was just curious what the majority opinion is out there regarding preferring too cold weather or too hot?

I personally prefer the hot weather as long as I have A/C to go into after getting all hot and miserable. I HATE the cold because it makes my old bones ache and when it's really cold it HURTS! I hate frozen fingers and toes. If I'm excessively hot, I can sit down and get some relief. But not when I'm cold - it seems to take forever to warm up.

So which do you prefer?
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

I will take hot every time!!!!!

I HATE winter and the cold. The only thing I like about the cold weather is how handsome my boys look in their blankets. Also how clean they stay under those blankets.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sign me up for cold! I've lived in MN and now live in LA, and I would take MN winters over LA summers any day. There are only so many layers of clothes you can take off before you're inappropriate, whereas you can add layers to keep warm in sub-zero temps.
    In both places, there are a couple weeks were it is either too cold or too hot to ride, so I find it even there.
    And the kicker for me, bug season is a third of the length in MN than it is down here. Cold'll kill all that right off.

3 members found this post helpful.

don't like the cold, but i really can't take the heat.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

See, now that's the thing. If it's 10 below zero, there's no way I'm riding. I've done it when I was younger and almost suffered frostbite. But if it's 100 degrees, you can still go for a lazy walk without worrying about permanent damage to horse or rider. Or you can get up really early and ride when the temp is lower. I'm sticking with my choice.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

2 members found this post helpful.

I prefer hot weather over cold weather, but I think it really has more to do with sunshine and short days than with the actual temperature itself. Lack of sun really does a number on me.

There are 3 months a year here where it's too hot to ride mid-day for me. And I have time to get up early and ride two horses before work, so I stay comfortable. I love the weather here 9 months out of the year, though!

In NH, there were 3 months out of the year I liked, non-continuous. And in cold weather I get pneumonia.

So I'm definitely a hot weather person! Though if I lived somewhere humid, you would likely get a different answer from me.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Cold.

If I'm riding and moving, I can get warm. If it's too hot, I'm screwed.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

2 members found this post helpful.

Cold weather!!! I HATE the heat!!! My dog is miserable. My horse is miserable. I'm miserable. Its been in the mid-90s the past few days with high humidity. Who needs that kind of weather . Bugs are horrendous too . I hate the frigid cold too but I'll never rush my barn chores because of it but with the heat i start to feel extremely sick and have a hard time breathing so i tend to rush things which I hate doing just so I can inside with the AC.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I'll take hot weather any day. But then I live in Canada and we get our fill of really cold weather. On hot days I can get up early and have an unambitious ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Fessy's Mom View Post
    See, now that's the thing. If it's 10 below zero, there's no way I'm riding. I've done it when I was younger and almost suffered frostbite. But if it's 100 degrees, you can still go for a lazy walk without worrying about permanent damage to horse or rider. Or you can get up really early and ride when the temp is lower.
    Unfortunately, my job & lack of a lit arena does not allow me to ride in the mornings. That's the other huge downside to the south; in the summer, the days are the same length. In MN in June or July, yes, I could get a decent ride in at 5:30am, and did when it was supposed to get up into the 90's. Plus, it was 74 degrees & 96% humidity at 5:30 this morning here in the south (in early JUNE, mind you! I can't imagine what August will look like!); which still requires indecent clothing and everyone is still going to sweat.

And it's only 10 below zero at "normal" riding times (afternoon/evenings) maybe a week a year in MN. And if you have access to an indoor, it really isn't that bad. And if you dress properly, you won't get frostbite. Thermal underwear, a set of Carhartt coveralls when just walking around the barn, and good boots with wool socks and you're set. The few times my toes started to get cold, I rode without stirrups. That warms them right up.

ETA: Minneapolis was just crowned "fittest city in the US", so clearly people know how to dress to exercise in the cold.

Hot. I moved from Alaska to Texas to get away from the cold.

Although sometimes I wonder why I bothered, since they seriously over air-condition everything down here and I end up wearing a jacket 95% of the times I'm indoors anyway.

I hate too hot and too cold. I like May/June and Sept/Oct best. However, if it's "too hot", I can ride early and escape the heat, so that's what I voted. If it's "too cold", it usually doesn't warm up enough to be happy for me.

I voted hot as well, but here in Western WA it rarely gets to be what I'd call too hot to do anything.

NEITHER! That is why I live in the coast in California! 75 is a HOT day for us, while 45 is a COLD day.

Honestly, I have never been in REAL cold weather – and hot and humid is miserable, but I guess I would vote hot ( can handle desert heat just fine)

I own a OTTB mare and I get chilbanes... definately hot.

I hate the heat. Now that summer is here, I can only ride either very early or late. It is too damn hot. Tucker hates it too. Give me the cold! I can bundle up. There isn't too much you can do to get comfortable in the heat.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    I own a OTTB mare and I get chilbanes... definately hot.
    Similiar story here. Very energetic Anglo-Trakehner mare who was still her usual perky self when I took her to a Janet Foy clinic and it was over 100 degrees out last summer. Seriously, she came into the arena jigging and ready to go. On the bright side, since everyone else's horses were having trouble with the heat they were ending a lot of the rides early, but we got to use a fair bit of the leftovers and my ride was extra long <happy dance>.

I also have Raynaud's syndrome, and last winter I got chillblains on my toes just from forgetting to wear socks and slippers in the house. Ridiculous.

So yeah, I'm going to have to go with hot.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

There is nothing I hate more than winter and cold. Nothing.

My horse is also a terrible hellbeast in the cold, which I think is partially due to muscle tension/soreness.

Hatehatehatehate HATE summer! I grew up in the south but have NEVER liked summers. Around April I start grumbling about the impending misery known as temps in the mid 90s (or higher) and 7000% humidity; combine the two and it feels like 645 degrees. (Okay, maybe my math is off. But not by much).

My small firm just got acquired by a global firm. I am salivating at the prospect of maybe getting moved to one of the Canadian offices for a while.