The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    I don't think you're hurting him by giving him a few sweets now and then. The trick is to keep them high value- so he doesn't get them too often.
    Yep.
    Nothing absoulutely nothing worse than an entitled horse that thinks they should be bribed for every step or stop.

I just need to make sure the junkie is really hooked and to make sure I aways have a fix if he needs it. Maybe a custom made pouch in the channel of the saddle under the pommel and a hand sized capped Pvc pipe goodie holder duck taped at the end of a leadrope both for emergency use only. Breech pocket is no good as they do melt color and as I said I like them also.

1 members found this post helpful.

Mine loves PB&J sandwiches. We don't give them to her, but she will try hard to steal them. She once ate a whole platter of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that were brought to the barn for the staff who missed lunch. The empty platter was found completely clean and neat, and a very innocent looking horse was doing her best to pretend she didn't know what happened. Too bad she had peanut butter breath... She has gone so far to pick one out of a kids hands on the way back from the ring. She is a tricky beast. Also, nuts for dog treats and will steal them from the dogs. Have to make sure the horse is tied or dogs are given treats in secure areas

Haven't found anything that my mares are really into, but Abba and Lola (my sheep) will practically turn themselves inside out for marshmallows.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Starburst. My new filly became my inseparable best friend after one strawberry Starburst.
    You are what you dare.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosem View Post
    Yep.
    Nothing absoulutely nothing worse than an entitled horse that thinks they should be bribed for every step or stop.

I just need to make sure the junkie is really hooked and to make sure I aways have a fix if he needs it. Maybe a custom made pouch in the channel of the saddle under the pommel and a hand sized capped Pvc pipe goodie holder duck taped at the end of a leadrope both for emergency use only. Breech pocket is no good as they do melt color and as I said I like them also.
    How about a tic tac box? Small enough to stash in your pocket, and it would stop them from melting on you.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
    Abba and Lola (my sheep) will practically turn themselves inside out for marshmallows.
    White soft and fluffy - I guess they really are what they eat
    Arguing with liberals is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how well I play, the pigeon will just knock over all the pieces, crap on the board then strut around claiming victory.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    White soft and fluffy - I guess they really are what they eat
    Haha, too cute! I hadn't thought of it that way
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    It's one of my favorite pictures.
    No fair telling us with out sharing -Post the pic or it didn't happen .
    Arguing with liberals is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how well I play, the pigeon will just knock over all the pieces, crap on the board then strut around claiming victory.

"The pink candies are colored with a red dye called K-Carmine, produced from the crushed bodies of the female cochineal insect."

Interesting tidbit about Good and Plenty from the wikipedia post. Good thing I don't like black licorice.

Trigger used to get his own chocolate cone at the end of fair every year. It started when he stole mine our first year. Same pony who stole my cookies at a show. He has his own Famous Amos chocolate chip cookie box sitting in my locker.

Same pony will also eat hot dogs, bread, Swedish Fish, and those spicy candy things.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    No fair telling us with out sharing -Post the pic or it didn't happen .
    I thought I didn't have the pic anymore but I found it online.

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9514da50.jpg

It's not the greatest copy but you can see the purple box sticking out of his mouth. His handler had one hand on the lead and one hand on the box of candy.
    Last edited by Indy; Jun. 4, 2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: found the photo

I have one that loves peanut butter crackers. Several who will eat banana peels, although they prefer it if they get the banana too. They also love broccoli.

They like variety in their diet too.

My ISH loves beer. Go figure , we discovered this after many long hours of working on the 'ranchette'.....he is his mommas horse....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I thought I didn't have the pic anymore but I found it online.

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9514da50.jpg

It's not the greatest copy but you can see the purple box sticking out of his mouth. His handler had one hand on the lead and one hand on the box of candy.
    Awww.

My red mare seems to be repulsed by anything gooey/mushy (like marshmallows) but finds the aroma of bananas very alluring. It's hilarious to watch her grappling with her love/hate relationship with this fruit -- she'll take a greedy bite, then let it ooze out of her mouth, then sniff and snort at the mushy dribble, lip it gingerly, put it back in her mouth, spit it back out, etc. etc.

The first horse I ever had wouldn't eat any sort of treats -- no interest in carrots or apples, and found peppermints downright offensive. Very unsatisfying for a teenage girl who wanted to reward her good horse!

Current red mare loves peppermint tums more than anything, so I had my sister make me a little treat pouch I can clip to my waistband to keep a few casually onhand (great for schooling tights days when I have no pockets)!

An old friend of mine use to tell the story how his WP horse of years ago reached across the ring rail and STOLE a kid's ice cream cone while in a class! Just jog jog jog SNACK jog jog jog. And won the class. Given everything else that horse did, I believe it, too.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

My saddlebred used to be anything in a soda can, he would mug you and beg and if he couldn't get to you he would bang bang bang his foot on the gate then stare at you. Would drink it straight out of the can.

Best thing that happened sometimes I think is he went completely blind. We can now all enjoy our soda's in peace.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Ha! Once you figure it out, exploit it, but only in necessary situations. Don't want the power to dull...

My mare wants anything I'm eating. I don't use treats for anything other than a reward when she's back in her stall after working, and then I used to give her a treat (carrot, apple, horse cookie, etc.) and then eat what I wanted for breakfast/lunch/snack but she started begging for what I had after she finished her snack.

She'll eat anything she sees me put in my mouth. Doesn't matter what it is, if Mom eats it, the mare wants some too. This morning she went moonie for an oat cake I picked up from a local café on my way to the barn.