The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Power!!! HA HA HA. I have you now!

One of my favorite candies is good&plenty*.

My balking boy asked for one Saturday and I obliged expecting him to taste and spit it out like he does sugar or at best politely eat like he does carrots.
    No- he flipping loves them. He is like a junkie that needs a fix. The scent of them turns him into a slavering minion ala Renfield from Dracula.

He will come at a trot for them when turned out.
    He will follow them into the wash rack that heretofore required a person behind with a crop to goad him into.
    I haven't explored the other possibilities but I have the chance of turning him into a Stepford Horse.

This amount of power of an animal could be useful - however as with any power there is a light and dark side (ironically the candy itself is light and dark) Help me fill out the con side.

Pros-A shaking box could substitute for a training clicker.
    - They are so strong tasting that the horse is satisfied with two or three.
    - They are small (you can carry more treat rewards)

Cons - I want a horse that will obey after the treats are gone also.
    - They are candy and that isn't good for anyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_%26_Plenty
    Last edited by Rosem; Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM.

7 members found this post helpful.

LOL, never a bad idea to know what their weakness is. For my boys, graham crackers.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

Maresie likes old bay seasoned potato chips.

Gave her one when she was begging during a show, expecting her to spit it out. Instead, I created a monster. Who knew?

My older boy loves BBQ chips. He goes crazy for them!!

Watermelon in the afternoons here.
    They stand by the yard fence, staring at the house and slobbering.

3 members found this post helpful.

Mine loves gatorade and cracker jacks. Any time he sees a bottle now, he wants some!

Bluey loved peppermints and would come running from the far end of the 10 acre pasture if you wrinkled a peppermint wrapper. He could tell though, if you were trying to trick him with an empty wrapper.

Use your power wisely, Grasshopper.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post
    Mine loves gatorade and cracker jacks. Any time he sees a bottle now, he wants some!
    My first horse (after 2 ponies) was named Cracker Jack, because it was his favorite food. He was a goodun.

My little old man used to go apesh!t for fig newtons and peach snapple. Or really anything that came in a plastic bag. Would drink soda from a cup (cup his tongue under it and tilt his head up) and liked to suck on the ice cubes (I know, I know...but I'd had him since I was a teenager and am not proud of the diet of unhealthy yummies he got during those years).

My new guy, carrots. That's about it. He had a mango slice the other day and didn't spit it out with that look of disgust that apples, peppermints, etc seem to illicit.
    Ulysses- the most perfect all-terrain vehicle ever. Hencho en Mexico

Mr. Walter Bumblepants - Foster Dog Extraordinaire

My husbands horse's weakness is Mtn. Dew. Any can left unattended is immediately tipped over and licked up. Bottles are grabbed and run off with. He gets so angry when he can't get the bottle open that he pouts. He ignores my Pepsi, just the Mtn Dew.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Bluey loved peppermints and would come running from the far end of the 10 acre pasture if you wrinkled a peppermint wrapper. He could tell though, if you were trying to trick him with an empty wrapper.

"Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

For my gelding it's Hershey's cookies and cream. He goes gaga for them. I have to be careful of eating around him, because he'll steal stuff from me. Chili, fritos, potato chips... Anything in my hand is fair game.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Clipper will turn cartwheels for oreo cookies or blueberry cobbler Clif bars. My mare loved cherries...but only if you bit them in half and removed the seed of course.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post

We had a horse that could tell when we stopped at a Dairy Queen and did a dance in the trailer until we came out with his own vanilla cone.
    He licked on it and then chomped down on the cone and made faces of delight.

8 members found this post helpful.

One of mine begged for the lime out of my gin & tonic. So I gave it to him. Said "on second thought, I'll just take the gin & tonic."

Another would do anything for a fuzzy navel. After a good (afternoon or evening) class, I'd put him away, go change clothes, and make two. People would bust on me when they saw me carrying two drinks - and of course, make appropriate "oh SURE" comments when I told them one was for me & one was for Jack.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I used to care for a young pony who loooooved Good & Plenty. His breeder took him into the ring at Devon as a two year old with a box of G&Ps to get his attention - once she stood him up, he grabbed of the box with his mouth and held onto the corner of it the entire time he was in the ring. Baby pony didn't move a muscle, just sucked on his candy box. In the photo of them in the ring, you can see the bright purple Good & Plenty box sticking out of his mouth. It's one of my favorite pictures.

My mare is pretty traditional in her tastes (though apples must be crisp and not mealy), but she does enjoy a good brownie. I'm not so sure how good for her chocolate is but I figure at 19, she can have a bite here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

We had a horse that could tell when we stopped at a Dairy Queen and did a dance in the trailer until we came out with his own vanilla cone.
    He licked on it and then chomped down on the cone and made faces of delight.
    One of my faondest memories of my old mare was when I had recently gotten her I stopped at a mini mart and got a cone for me and an apple for her. She reaced past the apple and chomped the cone, good thing I like apples. It helped us bond.
    Got Moles? Call Avagadro.

My QH loved iced tea, the sweetened kind in the dairy cartons. Found that out by accident at a show when I spilled it all over my hands and he started licking them. After that, he always got his own small carton of iced tea after a show. And yes, he would drink it right out of the carton!

I'd love to teach mine how to drink out of a bottle! Then he won't chase me around, I can give him his own drink. Lol

I don't think you're hurting him by giving him a few sweets now and then. The trick is to keep them high value- so he doesn't get them too often.

Rue goes mad for pear Jelly Belly beans. He won't touch an actual pear though. Asp doesn't seem to have any wild tastes- or if she has I haven't found them yet. Fen likes bananas, and Dove will steal coffee out of my cup if I go near her with it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!