The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

we have a locking 'mailbox' with a slot in the top for board. you can pay check or cash, as long as your name is on the cash so he knows who paid.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post
    On the bulletin board with a thumbtack. My security system is to pin it up facing backwards...
    Me too, tack it up on the bulletin board...but I fold mine in half for safety .

2 members found this post helpful.

I provide my own grain so I leave it in the scoop in my feed bin.

I live on the property so mine is rent and board. I usually hand it to my landlord or put it in the drop box by his back door. Doesn't matter... I pay three months' worth at a time due to the way I get paid, and invariably I get asked for the next installment at the wrong time. So then I go to my online banking, find a picture of the check, send it to my landlord to show what I had written on the front. I also keep a running spreadsheet that I email to him with every payment. And between payments. And every time he questions what I've paid for. Or asks when he can expect the next one.

The funny thing is that the last time this happened he said "Great, thanks -- between the two of us we have a handle on EVERYTHING!" I so wanted to ask what part he was contributing, since without him "we" have a handle on everything!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Usually tucked away somewhere in my grooming tote. This month's check was left in the bag of treats in my grooming tote. Unless I see the BO in person then I just hand it to her directly. When I don't see her I send her an email so she knows when and where I left it.

A farm I worked at last summer, my boss would leave my pay check in the freezer with the grain. It was a private farm, no boarders so not likely anyone else would find it.

I've had drop boxes at most of my barns. One I just paid via online bill pay since the horse was in training not on the premises.

One was just put in the desk drawer, but that always made me nervous, however, it was a small facility with just two other women.

Don't board but do lessons and rent an arena for riding time, and that money goes into the drawer of the desk in the BO's lounge area/indoor viewing room.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

in the grain bin
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    ~Vet Tech Student
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, 6 (Former) Stepkids

Bill pay for the board since I am out of the country. I once brought blank checks for the farrier when I was in town and left them in the microwave for the BO. It's a 7 stall barn with 5/7 horses being the BO, so I wasn't worried. Too funny all the random places.

We recently added a drop box in the lockable feed room, LOVE IT!
    Old method was to pin it to tack board, ok but didn't like having everyone's business out in the open.

One barn used to put checks on the bulletin board--til I found out I was paying 150 bucks more for field board than another boarder (and I had two horses to her one!)

I told the BO I was leaving and she immediately bumped my board down (cheaper than other boarders because she gave me a multi horse discount!)

We then put them in envelopes in a binder in the tack room. Glad I got outta there...
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I email the payment. I love that it is out of my account and in to the BO account and done. I have had lost checks and this just makes me happier. If the BO does on line banking then I can email my payment.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

Last barn had a locked box next to the office to put it in. Previous barns every where from desk drawer to on the front door. My past trainer asked us never to hand her payment as she often ended up washing checks in her jeans pockets. We always paper clipped to her calender in the office.

I always hand my BO the check. That way I know she gets it and it can't get lost, end up in someone else's hands, etc. and I won't get in trouble for not paying board.

Emily

I pin lesson & arena checks on the corkboard, or on the arena wall with a magnet.

Board check goes in supplement bucket.

I can't think of the last time I wrote a check for something that wasn't horse related. I do everything else electronically.