The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where do you leave your board payment?

A Monday funny.

I was thinking about the different barns I've boarded at and where the BO's have instructed where to leave the monthly board payment. There was the desk drawer in the tackroom, tack the check up on the bulletin board in the aisleway, one BO you had to personally hand her the check each month. Where I'm boarding now I leave my check in the crisper draw inside the refrigerator in the tackroom. LOL

So any unusal places where you leave your board checks?

I actually use my home banking to send a check....

But the barn I'm at also has a mailbox attached to the barn wall next to the tackroom (it locks) for people to put payment in.

Last barn, there was a little regular wooden box next to the office desk (but after a while I got lazy and they let me use paypal).
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I would never do anything other than place it directly in my BO's hands. I don't want to leave margin for error with something like a board cheque. This is how its been at all of the places I've boarded and I think the easiest way to avoid a he said she said situation. That is funny about the refrigerator though, LOL!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

My boarding barn has a locked drop box.

4 members found this post helpful.

I usually pay my board in cash so I put it directly in her hand. If for some reason we don't cross paths on the first our super secret money-stashing spot is in the bag of cat food. It's also where she leaves me money if I happen to be picking up anything from the feed store for her.

We're the only two that bother feeding the cats, fifteen years and no one has ever found our hiding spot.

The rest of the boarders use the mailbox located in the barn.

2 members found this post helpful.

I leave mine in one of those plastic pencil holders. The ones we used as kids. In a drawer in my trainers tack room. We the boarders have a separate tack room.

On the bulletin board with a thumbtack. My security system is to pin it up facing backwards...
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

4 members found this post helpful.

in the locked drop box by the bulletin board in the barn

1 members found this post helpful.

All the places I have boarded (but one!) had a drop box.

The one place that didn't have a drop box, she would tell me, "oh leave it in my grooming box, or by the white board etc - and then would call me two weeks later and say she didn't have the check - that I left in her grooming box.

I like drop boxes.

2 members found this post helpful.

We have boxes in every barn for checks that are meant to have locks. Our barn no longer has a lock. I pay on PayPal. It is just easier and I can pay in advance if I have the money and want it out my bank acct.

Either hand it to the appropriate person, tack it to the bulletin board or drop box (different barns, different systems).

Quote Originally Posted by Ridinwyoming View Post
    Where I'm boarding now I leave my check in the crisper draw inside the refrigerator in the tackroom. LOL
    You aren't going to believe this: SAME HERE.

Granted this was not a public boarding stable, I was just renting a residence, stall & paddock at someone's private barn - so the only people who would have known about it would have been the owner, the farm mgr. and farm staff, thus not so much of a security risk as one might suppose.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Depending on the barn:
    Mail with billpay
    On counter in longe
    In labeled envelope on corner of rolltop desk
    In BO hands

#1 #3 easiest
    #2 tended to get lost
    #4 well if BO is there its ok but not otherwise

Love the catfood idea
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Usually in the hands of the farm manager or his wife. If I miss them, it goes in her drop box in the tack room.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

On line.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

Lol I love these Super Secure methods, snork! I've had: mailbox in the office (someone was usually there), locked drop box in barn aisle, desk in apartment adjoining the barn, in trainer's hand or in her hat left on the table (always worry about that one, the barn chicken is all over the place and into everything like a toddler. I half expect her to waddle off with the check in her beak or peck it into oblivion. Probably not going to happen, but i keep it away from anything that could be mistaken for chicken nibbles!)
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

In a shoe box in a drawer in the tack room.

I have mine leave theirs in the feed bin.

At my current place (small family residence), we all leave our cash in the freezer in The locked tack room. I just text him when I put mine in there so he knows to go get it when he gets a chance. Never been a problem and I always get a receipt after he has received it.

Previous places have been cash in hand or leaving my cash in my feed can in an envelope. At my parent's house...it was so much nicer... No board, just child (or in my case...adult child labor).

The only place I have ever boarded that took checks were the bigger boarding facilities, but I gave those up years ago.

We tack our checks to the bulletin board. Sometimes I'll pay in cash and it goes in the freezer. Where it really is "cold, hard cash."