The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 216
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct. 29, 2000
    Location
    Southern Pines, N.C.
    Posts
    11,642

    Default RF Amber Eyes -- Now known as "Commentary"

    This has its own thread over in HJ land, but it is very interesting to see a top level eventer win at the highest levels (Devon) 3 weeks after a top 10 finish at Jersey Fresh. http://www.proequest.com/news/2013/0...rnational-hunt
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul. 28, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    511

    Default

    New rider wants her to gain weight and said she's more fit than her other horses. Ya think? I watched some of the rounds online, and some of those hunters looked downright obese. They reminded me of ticks with legs. I thought Amber Eyes looked good.


    13 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul. 16, 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    I love it! Ties in nicely with the EN post about what eventers can learn from hunters. I have my fingers crossed that my new guy will want to play on both sides


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct. 23, 2000
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    576

    Default

    lep, I was thinking the exact thing. I can't believe how heavy some of those hunters are. For some reason I thought the ones doing the derbys might be fitter.

    Quote Originally Posted by lep View Post
    New rider wants her to gain weight and said she's more fit than her other horses. Ya think? I watched some of the rounds online, and some of those hunters looked downright obese. They reminded me of ticks with legs. I thought Amber Eyes looked good.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec. 21, 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    875

    Default

    Many of the top derby horses don't do anything but the derbies so I wouldn't assume they would be more fit. A couple also do the bigger jumper classes so they may be a bit more fit but they still aren't doing more than 2-3 classes a week or every other week.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2003
    Location
    Where is gets way too cold
    Posts
    4,001

    Default

    I liked the comments from the H/J people that it was probably a good idea to change her name so that people don't recognize that she was an eventer. Gotta get that stank off.
    I agree that some of those horses are obese.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.


    17 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2006
    Posts
    1,919

    Default

    I could not believe that comment about changing the name so people weren't aware of her eventing past. Just ridiculous. I agree, she looks great, I also can't believe how over weight some of these Hunters are!


    6 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb. 12, 2007
    Location
    Misplaced Californian
    Posts
    469

    Default

    I was quite surprised that she was the best placed of Kelly Farmer's 5 horses. The other 4 horses have been hunters & derby horses for much longer than 3 weeks! I wonder how well she will do once she's actually experienced at this? I'm sure there were some disgruntled derby horse owners with a newbie horse beating all the career hunters except for one (Inclusive). And I loved the Chronicle's photo in the online coverage that shows the mare clearing a 4' jump by about 2 extra feet with knees up to her eyeballs!


    4 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    I could not believe that comment about changing the name so people weren't aware of her eventing past. Just ridiculous. I agree, she looks great, I also can't believe how over weight some of these Hunters are!
    Maybe it was the only way to shed the RF and nothing to do with eventers.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep. 11, 2011
    Location
    Area VI
    Posts
    1,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lep View Post
    New rider wants her to gain weight and said she's more fit than her other horses. Ya think? I watched some of the rounds online, and some of those hunters looked downright obese. They reminded me of ticks with legs. I thought Amber Eyes looked good.
    Sounds like the whole "show fat" nonsense that hunters seem to love. The woman I got my TB from now manages a Hunter barn and was telling me the couple weeks before a show they bump up the feed so they "fill out a little more".

    What a great idea, jumping fat horses time and time again! I think I'll stick with keeping my horses fit, thanks...jeesh.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2008
    Posts
    7,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vagabondrider View Post
    I was quite surprised that she was the best placed of Kelly Farmer's 5 horses. The other 4 horses have been hunters & derby horses for much longer than 3 weeks! I wonder how well she will do once she's actually experienced at this? I'm sure there were some disgruntled derby horse owners with a newbie horse beating all the career hunters except for one (Inclusive). And I loved the Chronicle's photo in the online coverage that shows the mare clearing a 4' jump by about 2 extra feet with knees up to her eyeballs!
    It doesn't surprise me at all. Her jump is insanely good.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul. 17, 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    566

    Default

    I've been following that thread too. Kind of entertaining.

    I completely do not understand the weight thing... In what world would you fatten up an athlete and then ask them to perform!?
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

    Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010


    6 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb. 22, 2000
    Location
    passepartout
    Posts
    10,148

    Default

    A 'hunter name' is perhaps the equestrian equivalent of a porn name or a stripper name?


    30 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 24, 2006
    Posts
    1,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    A 'hunter name' is perhaps the equestrian equivalent of a porn name or a stripper name?
    Priceless JER! Flutie, I was referring to a comment on the other thread not the article itself. I think they have a tendancy to change any names they don't like, they also changed Vallado's name to Praise. Whatever, it's their horse even if I would prefer people not change names. But a poster had said something about changing it so people wouldn't know about her eventer past, that was what I was responding to.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct. 21, 2003
    Posts
    8,695

    Default

    Oh why on earth did you have to point out that thread...sigh.

    The name changing thing, the fattening up thing, the hunter world has become bizzaro world.

    I sold a pony with a perfectly adorable name and the new barn had to change it. Her barn name was Bugzy, registered name was "Doon Buggy" (her sire Brigadoon). Super cute. They changed her barn and show name to "LadyBug". Of course this means a horse easily tracked via show records and the internet is impossible for me to now track Same goes for all the horses out there with their ever changing names.

    I think it's the equivalent of a dog pissing on a tree.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar. 1, 2003
    Location
    Happily in Canada
    Posts
    5,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    I sold a pony with a perfectly adorable name and the new barn had to change it. Her barn name was Bugzy, registered name was "Doon Buggy" (her sire Brigadoon). Super cute. They changed her barn and show name to "LadyBug". Of course this means a horse easily tracked via show records and the internet is impossible for me to now track Same goes for all the horses out there with their ever changing names.
    Well, here's the thing. You do know her new name, so you can keep track.

    Secondly, I think Ladybug is totally cute; I would have changed Doon Buggy too. Others will disagree. It's all a matter of personal taste.

    If you really want to be able to keep track of horses, then lobby the USEF to have horse recording numbers that are permanent.
    Blugal

    You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng


    4 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec. 2, 2004
    Posts
    3,351

    Default

    I think the name change thing is an ownership thing when horses get passed to new hands. They want it to be 'their' horse.

    Love that Doon Buggy name w/ the tie to the breeding. that's a shame.

    The fatness- omg- they look and sound like porkers! I have heard them grunt. It's way too much to ask of an athlete and too much wgt for their legs and soundness. Myself I prefer the elegant classic hunter hack look when the horse looks fluid. When you 'can see' the muscles flow! And the horse 'can' stride out! I sure hope that Amber Eyes makes them see a different picture.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18

    Default

    Devil's advocate time. I agree that many hunters look quite obese. However, especially this year, i have noticed a number of upper level eventers that look very skinny. I'm not talking lean, fit and blooming. Rather dull coated and bones showing thin. I guess both our disciplines have extremes, neither of which are in the horses' best interest.


    18 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul. 17, 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flutie1 View Post
    Devil's advocate time. I agree that many hunters look quite obese. However, especially this year, i have noticed a number of upper level eventers that look very skinny. I'm not talking lean, fit and blooming. Rather dull coated and bones showing thin. I guess both our disciplines have extremes, neither of which are in the horses' best interest.
    I noticed this too, specifically with Demeter at Rolex. I know we've hashed and rehashed that one already! So I'm not trying to start anything.

    I'd say mine stays on the round side for an eventer, but we're just lower levels, and not showing or even really jumping right now!
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

    Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr. 8, 2004
    Location
    The Great, uh, Green (?!?!) North!
    Posts
    3,871

    Default

    I suspect it's an east coast hunter thing too... the ones around here seem to be sleek but reasonably so; I was shocked when I saw some of the WEF hunter videos. That's just not healthy...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: Sep. 16, 2013, 06:46 PM
  2. RF Amber Eyes/Commentary
    By goodlife in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 1149
    Last Post: Jul. 5, 2013, 11:19 AM
  3. Behavior issues--need outside "eyes"
    By jen-s in forum Off Course
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Nov. 12, 2010, 02:34 PM
  4. TRainers how do you keep "fresh" eyes??
    By hellerkm in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Oct. 13, 2009, 05:01 PM
  5. Replies: 59
    Last Post: Oct. 17, 2008, 07:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness