The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default anyone use a stall mattress? like, dislike?

Considering switching to stall mattress and pelleted bedding to save on manure removal costs. The pelleted bedding is so less cushy that I wanted to switch to the mattress. Anyone have any advice?

I boarded at a barn with them and they were wonderful. I hope to put them in my next barn!

I don't have the stall matresses, but I've boarded at several places that had them. The matresses are fine and dandy, but I find that the barns that had them ended up skimping seriously on the bedding and the horses were standing around in their own pee. I don't think they are a substitute for an adequate amount of bedding. In my own barn I use traditional stall mats and pelleted bedding (Magnum brand). I find that the pellets fluff up very nicely if you add some water and are less dusty and more absorbent than regular shavings. In my opinion "soft stalls" or stall matresses are not worth the $$$.

Default thumbs down

Just my opinion but yes they reduce a need for deeper bedding to give cushion; however they also don't offer an support for the hoof for the horse to stand.

Try standing on a pillow for a half hour, constant rebalancing.... it's exhausting.

I'll give my horses nice hard mats with adequate bedding. It would be interesting to do a study to see if there was an increased risk for joint and soft tissue issues with stall pillows.

I have the mattresses in my stalls. LOVE THEM!!! I do not skimp on bedding and actually always start with about 7 bags of shavings in a 12x12 stall.
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

I am in need of new mats and was also considering the stall mattresses, there is also a foam mattress option as well. I do think the horses would like these better to lay down, but was wondering how they were to stand on. I know for myself if I'm on concrete, I like to have some cushion so my feet and legs don't get as fatigued, I think as long as they were not too cushy it would ok. Definitely curious to hear what others have to say. We'd be putting these in on a crushed stone base vs. the concrete most manufacture recommend, has anyone noticed a difference?

I personally wouldn't, and neither would the horsemen/women I know of. Horses naturally lay down on the ground. They don't need bedding for softness, although their owners might need them to have it. I think that's transferring human values onto horses, once again. I like stall mats to reduce shock, but not to add softness- I am certain that would contribute to soft tissue strains. Mats with enough bedding to absorb liquids are fine.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm with the plain rubber mat contingent, and not just because they're cheaper. Clearly, puffy pillows are not what horses (or anyone) evolved to stand on. I've tried it, and it's annoying. Constant rebalancing is beneficial for a minute at a time if you're rehabbing an ankle injury, but standing on it all night? A pal of mine boards her zillion-dollar WP horse on a mattress. It's always got some kind of ligament issue or other. Coincidence? You decide.

In my vast experience, I've found that what horses really like to lie around on is dirt.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm down with the Crone.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

1 members found this post helpful.