The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Yet another saddle fit issue - fits except while cantering.....

I do have the saddle fitter coming on Friday, but anyone had this issue: The saddle appears to fit beautifully while just sitting on the horse. It used to slide forward at all gaits, but now that the horse has developed a topline and more uphill way of going, the saddle stays put for walking and trotting. However... when we canter? It seems like it ends up ahead of her withers. BAD for cantering, cannot be comfortable, and I have to get off and re-set it -sometimes as much as 6".

She has a wide-ish barrel, and quite forward girth groove. Saddle is an older Roosli Dressage, short billets, and I use a Mattes correction pad with rear risers, and a very fancy/fluffy, shaped, but not ergonomic, Mattes girth. Fleece all the way for this mare.

Her jump saddle does not ride forward - regular fleece pad, fleece girth. The billets on the Dressage saddle come down further than those of the jump saddle.

I do wonder if a contoured girth like the Logic would help?

Why does it only move when she canters?

Could you try it without the riser pad? (Set up the same way as her other saddle basically.)
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

It sounds like it doesn't fit the curve of her back. Do a tracing of the back + withers, cut out the shapes, put them together, flip the saddle over, put the wither and back tracing together on the underside, and inspect for fit. Saddles that fit (into) a back slide less or not at all.

My mare had that problem. All saddles used to ride the rails forward on to her neck at canter. Long points and wither gussets also helped. The more the panel contacts the back, the less it will slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    It used to slide forward at all gaits, but now that the horse has developed a topline and more uphill way of going, the saddle stays put for walking and trotting. However... when we canter? It seems like it ends up ahead of her withers. BAD for cantering, cannot be comfortable, and I have to get off and re-set it -sometimes as much as 6".
    Have you watched a video of what happens with the saddle when you canter? you should be able to watch it move

Hopefully your saddle fitter will be able to adjust it to fit, in the meantime, why not just switch over to the jump saddle which seems to be more stable.

Depending on your horse, very minor changes can be the difference stable & slipping.

Good point about the video - cantering properly is a work in progress. It was worse without the riser. I hope it is fixable, I love this saddle! I do use the jump saddle a lot, but gives me blisters when I do flatwork in it.... Yes, I will sacrifice my own comfort for hers.

Will your saddle fitter watch you ride in the saddle? I suppose ideally before and after she fixes it? It makes the process long, but that's less frustrating than getting her back to do it again.