The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 30 of 58 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    This was already addressed earlier in this thread. If the horse is eligible for the Greens as of December 1st, it is eligible for the entire horse show year, regardless of what height it jumps at a show during the year.
    What if it competed in the 1.30 jumpers at WEF 2012?

ETA: I'm legitimately asking now. As I am beyond confused!

Quote Originally Posted by Christa P View Post

I can see this as an advantage with OTTBs - check the tattoo and you can find out exactly who the horse is and their true age. The problem is that, unless you know the USET names it was registered with, the show record could be lost.

Christa
    Um, you would think you'd be safer with TBs, however, their tattoos fade and it does, it can be sold as significantly younger. Ask my barnmate who started looking at a horse listed as 6 years old. PPE vet put him at 13, final sussing out of tattoo put him at 18. He's still a lovely, lovely horse...but all of us wish this wonderful horse was the 6 year old he was marketed as...or even the 13 year old my friend thought she was buying.

This was already addressed earlier in this thread. If the horse is eligible for the Greens as of December 1st, it is eligible for the entire horse show year, regardless of what height it jumps at a show during the year.
    Hah! I thought I was going crazy for a sec. Glad to see I at least understand that part of the green rules.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

As I understand the rule, the first year you jump in classes 3'6 or higher.... you broke your green. So then you're in your first year green. You can break your first year green jumping 3'6 in rated shows. Or you can break it jumping 5'6. Up to you. It's not more broken if you jump higher the year you break it
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Martha, you are ever the voice of reason, and someone should be paying you to handle their PR communication!

I really don't think we need more/new rules. People need to hold themselves responsible for following the existing rules.

The easiest way to affect change with a non-compliant population is to make it hurt. Violate a rule once, even by mistake? 6 month suspension. Violate the same rule again? 36 month suspension. Seriously. Make it hurt.

It's funny how few mistakes people make when the stakes are high...

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    As I understand the rule, the first year you jump in classes 3'6 or higher.... you broke your green. So then you're in your first year green. You can break your first year green jumping 3'6 in rated shows. Or you can break it jumping 5'6. Up to you. It's not more broken if you jump higher the year you break it
    Just for better understanding say I have a first year horse I also compete in the regulars in 2013. In 2014 is that horse still eligible for the 2nd years?

Just curiosity!
    Oh Sweetheart
    Make A Splash
    The Adventures of a College Equestrian

Mare has a registry. She has a breeder. She has a sire and dam who contributed some pretty nice genetics. She has a history and a verifiable record in competition. The whole thing, accidental or not, sucks. Glad that history is out in the public.
    "Horsemanship is not merely a matter of bodily skills, but is based on scholarship and, therefore, is a matter of the mind and intellect." Charles de Kunffy

http://www.equiimages.com

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmedHope View Post
    What if it competed in the 1.30 jumpers at WEF 2012?

ETA: I'm legitimately asking now. As I am beyond confused!
    Me too. I screwed up on the dates when I read the USEF results and believed the horse competed at WEF in 2013 when she competed in 2012 at heights that broke her green status.

Yes, I screwed up when I read the USEF results, the mare competed at WEF in 2012, not 2013.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

If she showed at WEF in 2012, she also showed there in 2013. So you didn't really make a mistake. She evented and jumped in Europe at heights that are well over 3'6 in 2011. And she evented in the US in 2012 at heights that are over 3'6".
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    If she showed at WEF in 2012, she also showed there in 2013. So you didn't really make a mistake. She evented and jumped in Europe at heights that are well over 3'6 in 2011. And she evented in the US in 2012 at heights that are over 3'6".
    Competing in the 1.30 in WEF 2012 would make her ineligible to compete in 2nd year greens this year correct?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

If all she did was show at WEF and event here in 2012, she'd be a legal second year green. But she evented in international competition in Europe in 2011 at heights over 3'6"--the stadium jumping height for a 1* is 3'9".
    Last edited by vineyridge; Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: error
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

No matter how high you jump in your first year green you are still eligible the following year for second year green. If, in 2012, your first year horse showed in the first years during the week it could also show on weekends in the GP. In 2013 it can show in the second years during the week and the GP on weekends. You get two green years, it's up to you what you do with them.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    No matter how high you jump in your first year green you are still eligible the following year for second year green. If, in 2012, your first year horse showed in the first years during the week it could also show on weekends in the GP. In 2013 it can show in the second years during the week and the GP on weekends. You get two green years, it's up to you what you do with them.
    Thank you for clearing that up for me!
    Oh Sweetheart
    Make A Splash
    The Adventures of a College Equestrian

It makes ya wonder how many horses -- from walk-trot ponies to top jumpers -- are registered more than once. I once rode a pony who had been sold to a family under a second name/USEF # (we found it out later on) and it brought the family a headache when it was time to sell the pony.
    aka Amanda
    "For by the love that guides my pen, I know great horses live again."

Agree. But if she showed at WEF she quite OBVIOUSLY had a USEF number and even if a hunter owner/pro is completely ignorant about eventer rules/registration-- I find it hard to believe that same person wouldn't know that JUMPERS (which show at the same shows as hunters and often do cross back/forth) have USEF registrations when they show at rated USEF shows?!
    The involved parties purchased the stallion Vallado a year or so ago, who had a USEF life time registration and show record in the Hunters and Jumpers, and they went through the proper channels to rename him to 'Praise' with the USEF when he was purchased. So, they obviously know the ropes and have managed to do it correctly once, maybe they just forgot how to do it.

9 members found this post helpful.

The difference here was that Vallado (Praise) had a USEF record. Easy to find. Maybe they just messed up with the mare. Her competition record in the US would have made her eligible for the second year greens. Her European career? No. USEF needs to tighten that up.
    "Horsemanship is not merely a matter of bodily skills, but is based on scholarship and, therefore, is a matter of the mind and intellect." Charles de Kunffy

Quote Originally Posted by SueL View Post
    The difference here was that Vallado (Praise) had a USEF record. Easy to find. Maybe they just messed up with the mare. Her competition record in the US would have made her eligible for the second year greens. Her European career? No. USEF needs to tighten that up.
    The only thing about thinking this is a mistake is that Larry Glefke said in the COTH article that it's "standard industry practice" to ignore European experience when deciding if the horse qualifies for greens. Unfortunately that's not the rule. USEF admits they ignore it unless there's a complaint. Which really sucks for people who do follow the rules

Quote Originally Posted by SueL View Post
    Amber Eyes also had a USEF record, if anyone bothered to look. She did the jumpers at WEF.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

Amber Eyes also had a USEF record, if anyone bothered to look. She did the jumpers at WEF.
    Which, looking at that USEF record alone, would still have qualified her for the 2nd years.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    Which, looking at that USEF record alone, would still have qualified her for the 2nd years.
    Competition record in the US would have indeed made her eligible as a second yer green horse. If USEF overlooks European results, that is a huge issue. If overlooking what was done in Europe is an "industry standard" that is also a huge issue. Enforcement has to come from the federation. It's their job to create a level playing field. Winking at the European records of imported records - that's not good.

2 members found this post helpful.