The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 23 of 58 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post

I didn't know event horses were USEF registered?

You might even be more shocked to know that event riders have indoor plumbing in their homes.

46 members found this post helpful.

Well I'm glad that it's not being swept under the rug. Notice how the owner tried to pass blame on to Kelley? I don't buy it. He's backpedaling big time now that he's been caught.

I'll be interested to see what, if any, penalties that USEF hands down. It seems like they really can't ignore it now that it's been published...
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    You might even be more shocked to know that event riders have indoor plumbing in their homes.
    Next you're going to tell me they have airports in Canada or some other such malarkey.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

17 members found this post helpful.

Don't be silly! We don't have airports, but we are currently fundraising for a dome to go over our national Igloo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfSN4fnXwKM

5 members found this post helpful.

The writing and clarity in that article, especially under the "No Show" subtitle, was confusing and underpar. I was disappointed that that was how this issue was addressed, although that's better than nothing.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    The writing and clarity in that article, especially under the "No Show" subtitle, was confusing and underpar. I was disappointed that that was how this issue was addressed, although that's better than nothing.
    The grammar is certainly having a rough go of it, huh?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    Poor throughout the article. Especially the part about Kelley suddenly taking the ride back at Devon - a brief mention, but then just left that part and started a new paragraph?
    Also, really did not know it was possible to take a bad picture of Inclusive. That horse gives photographers more than enough time to take a stunning shot over every jump...the main picture for that article does not really do him or Tori justice, to say the least.

4 members found this post helpful.

OMFG, the hunter ring is now officially obviously ridiculous, and the participants at "the top" a bunch of pathetic human beings. What a flippin joke the whole sport is.

Oh....wait, but everybody's doing it...

Just a bunch of drugging, lying, thieving people.

13 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

When has the USEF ever allowed anything under their auspices to avoid their charges? ROTFL!

For someone with his experience if he is telling the truth, he MUST be dumb as a post.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

3 members found this post helpful.

I am just glad that the Chronicle asked about the discrepancies!

The answers given, while not surprising, are truly pathetic. As many have pointed out, registering this mare correctly would not have been rocket science; how it was done, at best, is the epitome of laziness (and I don't want to hear the "he's too busy excuse" because I have a busy life too and would be fired if I did put so little effort into something this important at work) and, at the worst, illegal and unethical.

Does anyone think the USEF will do anything? I'm not holding my breathe...sigh
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

9 members found this post helpful.

Flame suit on and zipped.

I have known Kelly and Larry for many years. They do not go to Europe to buy horses. They buy them on US soil. I doubt seriously they have any clue about shows in Europe or the FEI/Eventing requirements. Sure you can call them ignorant for not venturing out of the hunter ring. I would love to know the last time they even took a vacation.

As for a name change. You all are pissed they changed the name. First of all the horse was born Amber Eyes De Cheverny and was changed when purchased by Raylyn Farm when it became known as RF meaning Raylyn Farm Amber Eyes. Frankly who would want anything that ever went through RF as they have their own scuttlebutt to contend with. RF sold to Richard Thompson who sold to O'Conner and then to Glefke.

Yes you can go online and do a registry and you can name a horse and put in any birthday you want. Eventually when you get the papers or passport and want to keep a horse FEI qualified you submit the documents. There is no benefit to lie about the age of the horse. There are no hunter shows by age after 7 years old.

Then you breeders are pissed because they didn't record the sire and dam. Who cares? It is not my business to pass on your breeding name. I can name my horse what I want. Also,"The Federation’s horse recording records are not a title registry and the Federation does not decide, otherwise resolve, or become involved in ownership disputes." So it doesn't matter how you register the horse. The USEF doesn't care and they don't have to fix discrepancies.

Where I do agree is that if the horse has a USEF number you should use that same number. All they have to do is ask the USEF to blend the numbers and records and it is done. I suspect they want to get far away from the RF anything with that horse.

Taking it one step further, Kelly went to the USEF herself and advised of the issue and asked for clarification and correction. So she did not try and hide anything. It was an honest error done between busy horse show schedules. You all have time to spend all day on COTH, they are out showing and doing. If USEF wants to punish them its a $250.00 fine and redistribute the ribbons. Big deal, it was one show, 5 classes.

Kelly has an unblemished record with the USEF since she has been showing since the 80's. How about realizing there was nothing nefarious about what happened and allow her to focus on her showing.

I am sure many of you realize people like Scott Stewart go to Europe, buy a horse, and show it in the first year a few weeks later. I suspect if you look back at the record of those horses they probably jumped the height and over in Europe.

I am glad it is sorted out and hopefully some happy kid is getting a heck of a horse.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinestate View Post
    There is no benefit to lie about the age of the horse.
    Sure there is: resale.

This is nothing new. I took in a retired hunter who had the same age change made on his ASHA lifetime card -- one year younger. Because I thought it was odd, given that I had all of his breeding information, I asked around and got the answer. This is what's done.

sunshinestate, you live in a state of denial. If Larry and Kelley are such good horse people, why don't they get the readily-available details on horses they are taking in for resale? How do you think that kind of ignorance would go over in most lines of business?

A bit of advice for you, sunshine: if you really must wallow in poop, make sure it's your own poop and not someone else's.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinestate View Post

I am sure many of you realize people like Scott Stewart go to Europe, buy a horse, and show it in the first year a few weeks later. I suspect if you look back at the record of those horses they probably jumped the height and over in Europe.

I am glad it is sorted out and hopefully some happy kid is getting a heck of a horse.
    I don't think bringing other pros in is needed, but though I don't know what he does now, I can think if 4 young hunters he bought right out if the ring at Devon.

Anyway- focus in the topic at hand.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

2 members found this post helpful.

At this level everyone knows what a good horse is for their job. We all cross shop. I am sure the horse's past history and lack of showing hunters was a selling point. You don't get a Karen O’Connor horse as a mystery find.

8 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

No one cares what name the horse shows under. What is important is that the horse's records (competition history, breeding, prior owners) go along with the name. The USEF has a procedure for a name change for registered horses. It also requires a single lifetime number for horses, and this horse already had one.

Maybe the H/J community hasn't let the one lifetime number rule soak in yet. It's only been in effect for a few years. You'd think honest people would be delighted to be able to research the records of the horses that they buy or sell.

The rest of the world is going to what's called a Universal Equine Life Number. With that number, no matter where the horse is, its records go with it. Using that number, competition records, no matter where they were--Europe, US, Timbuktu--can be checked, and eligibility verified.

What's so invidious about making a fuss about a blatant breach of USEF rules? Have to say, though, that if I had the horse (dream on!), I'd be dropping the RF so fast it would make your head spin.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

10 members found this post helpful.

Man, you people just disgust me. This is clerical stuff. There are so many issues to deal with in the horse show and eventing world. FACT: most hunter jumper people are too busy to follow how many horses flip and/or drop dead at events. I'd take a clerical problem any day. Figure it out.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 13-15, 2015

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    Man, you people just disgust me. This is clerical stuff. There are so many more important issues to deal with in the horse show and eventing world. FACT: most hunter jumper people are too busy to follow how many horses flip and/or drop dead at events. I'd take a clerical problem any day.
    What about horses and ponies that drop at hunter shows? Hello pot, this is kettle.

This thread just discusses one more area that the USEF needs to address in the hunter industry. The issues are beginning to reach critical mass and I do think change is on the horizon.

It's not clerical; what's been done is illegal under USEF rules. As someone else mentioned, this situation is just the tip of the iceberg. Making excuses and claiming ignorance should no longer take the place of accountability.
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

15 members found this post helpful.

Microchips! Microchips for all!!

This has been a really interesting thread to read. I can't believe how easy it is to wipe a horse's history clean. Its must be quite sad for the horse's previous riders/breeders ect.

When we register our horses in Australia with the EA (our version of USEF) we have to microchip them as well. Microchip numbers are stored with a life registration for that horse. Names and owners can be changed but competition history and breeding information is kept intact.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    FACT: most hunter jumper people are too busy to follow how many horses flip and/or drop dead at events.
    Apparently so. From recent reports, I've surmised that 'hunter jumper people' are very, very busy. They're being sued for fraud and negligence. They're typing up invoices to overcharge their clients. They're dropping ponies at the business end of a needle at big shows. They're looking for a new vet because their old vet is in trouble for negligence and malpractice with a state licensing board. They're dyeing roan ponies bay and showing them under different names. They're getting their barn managers to take the rap for drugging horses. They're registering horses with FEI passports under new names and younger birth dates at USEF.

Very busy indeed. With all that going on, who has time to follow rules?

38 members found this post helpful.

When I get pulled over for speeding and tell the cop I didn't know what the speed limit was, I get a ticket anyway.
    Interested to see if anything comes of this.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

9 members found this post helpful.