The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

I didn't think so either, but perhaps one of the spellings was goofy enough to throw off the JC reviewer?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Smokin' Joe was actually the nickname given the boxer Joe Frazier, kinda like nicnames today for ball players.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Thoroughbred1201 View Post
    I still have his papers soomewhere around. It might have been spelled differently, or without the apostrophe, or something, but it was definately his jockey club name. He passed away in 2000, so I don't know if something could have been reissued after a certain time period. Not sure how that works.
    Yes, if the horse isn't a stakes winner, or something, the JC does free up the name after a certain number of years.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    But what are the odds of two such random names? I mean, what's a Smoking Joe anyway?!
    Smokin' Joe. Joe Frazier. The boxer. From Philadelphia. He was pretty famous.

ETA chunky munky you beat me to it. I went to elementary school with his kids.

1 members found this post helpful.

LOL. Not a boxing fan, I totally didn't make the connection!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

It's kind of funny, if I told some hunter friends that some people on COTH think that hunter judging was so shallow that they would allow the name of the horse to affect that horses placing they would swear it must be some disrespectful eventer with a chip on their shoulder making that claim.

Doesn't the very idea that subjective judging might take in to account a horse's name even bother anyone?

4 members found this post helpful.

Hmmm. Where is a good list of emoticons when you need one???
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    November 14-16, 2014

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    It's kind of funny, if I told some hunter friends that some people on COTH think that hunter judging was so shallow that they would allow the name of the horse to affect that horses placing they would swear it must be some disrespectful eventer with a chip on their shoulder making that claim.

Doesn't the very idea that subjective judging might take in to account a horse's name even bother anyone?
    My horse's name is First Date. One time someone who had heard my horse's name announced asked me what prompted me to name my horse "First Aid".

That must be why I didn't pin in that stake class. Better go start a thread on re-naming my hunter.

2 members found this post helpful.

Years ago I had a friend that had a horse named Rock Sound. I am certain if I had named one that it would immediately start limping.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    November 14-16, 2014

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

What's funny is that the damned horse is undoubtedly microchipped. And was before she left Germany. So she is carrying her own identity under her skin. AND she has both an FEI and a German Passport.

I too think the USEF should do something to the new owners; if this gets by, is there anything that won't?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I'm with you Vineyridge...and why does my gut tell me nothing will be done?

So we will now have one more warmblood of unknown breeding in the hunter ring with no previous competition history before this past week and, being a mare, no information for a potential future breeder to use in determining the best breeding decisions to make.

And we wonder why the Europeans kick our butts on an international level on a regular basis. While we're busy arguing over what to name a horse, they are spending their time continuing to fine tune breeding programs that consistently produce top performers.

I give a lot of kudos to American breeders who are working so hard to produce top horses with little recognition outside of breed societies or young horse evaluation/classes.
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

12 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't worry too much about losing the breeding/performance on this one. It will most likely stay pretty high profile, has a passport, the breeder and European seller will have congratulatory ads and will use it all to get more Americans to come to buy horses....etc....etc
    But obviously it would be nice if there was a better system of tracking breedg/performance records here.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    November 14-16, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post

Not as much as the fact that no one can wrap their brain around the fact that subjective judging depends slightly on creating a receptive mindset with a good first impression. You want concrete evidence of "placings affected" and "points off" so you can point to how shallow we are that minor details trump performance, when human nature is not that simple. Because of course none of us who read the article first were watching this horse more closely through the turns to see if the career change would hold, right?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    Not as much as the fact that no one can wrap their brain around the fact that subjective judging depends slightly on creating a receptive mindset with a good first impression. You want concrete evidence of "placings affected" and "points off" so you can point to how shallow we are that minor details trump performance, when human nature is not that simple. Because of course none of us who read the article first were watching this horse more closely through the turns to see if the career change would hold, right?
    Exactly. It has nothing to do with shallow judging. Let me put it into a different perspective so someone might be able to see around the chip...

A friend asks you to go see the new Quentin Tarantino movie. You haven't heard anything about it, but know of his other movies and agree. The movie turns out to be more Nicholas Sparks than Tarantino, enough so that you have to check to make sure that it actually is Tarantino.

Now, if you had an image of a Tarantino movie and a Nicholas Sparks movie...well, you could be guilty of being shallow.

When you are being judged subjectively, you do everything you can to make the right impression. Think of hunters like a job interview and eventing like taking a skills test. One is highly ssubjective and the tiniest little thing can play a role in the decision, whereas a skills test is very objective and it doesn't matter how you hold your pen, what you wear, how you come up witht eh answers, just as long as you do. If a horse's past has the possibility of leaving the wrong impression when being judged subjectively, don't point it out.

Here's another one for you: you are a recruiter for a conservative company. Someone applies online with the email imamajorsexybeast@aol.com. When this person comes in ffor an interview, do you have any preconceived thoughts about them? At the very least you have to be thinking the person should've signed up for a conservative email to apply for jobs with.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Exactly. It has nothing to do with shallow judging. Let me put it into a different perspective so someone might be able to see around the chip...
    A friend asks you to go see the new Quentin Tarantino movie. You haven't heard anything about it, but know of his other movies and agree. The movie turns out to be more Nicholas Sparks than Tarantino, enough so that you have to check to make sure that it actually is Tarantino.

Now, if you had an image of a Tarantino movie and a Nicholas Sparks movie...well, you could be guilty of being shallow.

When you are being judged subjectively, you do everything you can to make the right impression. Think of hunters like a job interview and eventing like taking a skills test. One is highly ssubjective and the tiniest little thing can play a role in the decision, .....

Here's another one for you: you are a recruiter for a conservative company. Someone applies online with the email imamajorsexybeast@aol.com. When this person comes in ffor an interview, do you have any preconceived thoughts about them? At the very least you have to be thinking the person should've signed up for a conservative email to apply for jobs with.
    Seriously... Comparing Amber Eyes -which is not offensive in any way- with using imamajorsexybeast as an email is hardly a comparison that is on all fours.... It isn't even close. As to setting the right subjective tone... Yes we all do that, an impeccably turned out horse, a skilled cprider, that walk into the ring with an air of confidence and then deliver -that makes me stand up and take notice.... Frankly, a judge who is thinking about the horse's name is not doing the job and unless the name is plain offensive, it should not make a wink of difference.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by juststartingout View Post
    Seriously... Comparing Amber Eyes -which is not offensive in any way- with using imamajorsexybeast as an email is hardly a comparison that is on all fours.... It isn't even close. As to setting the right subjective tone... Yes we all do that, an impeccably turned out horse, a skilled cprider, that walk into the ring with an air of confidence and then deliver -that makes me stand up and take notice.... Frankly, a judge who is thinking about the horse's name is not doing the job and unless the name is plain offensive, it should not make a wink of difference.
    It's not the name that is the problem (although, I personally find it "blah" at best), it's the link to her past that someone might want to avoid. Instead of having a judge go "alright llet's see what this eventer can do in the hunter ring," you have them saying "let's see how this hunter goes."

And honestly? I was using examples to assist some in understanding 1)that we all have preconceived notions about things, and 2)when you will be subjectively judged, you do everything in your power to stack the deck in your favor. My exxample was a bit exagerated, but so is subks'. the name change was most likely done becuse the new OWNERS did not like the old name, Not because of any fear that the judge is not goingto like Amber Eye, as stated. Moreover,, if they didn't want the horse's past known, they wouldn't have discussed it with COTH.

BTW -there is nothing "offensive" about imasexybeast...it's just gives a certtain impression. I suppose if you think being sexy is offensive, though...
    Last edited by RugBug; Jun. 7, 2013 at 01:45 AM. Reason: sorry about all the doubled letters. My ipad is misbehaving. Grrrr....

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Argument doesn't hold water. Jumpers or former jumpers enter derbies all the time, and no one says that they have to be renamed to compete. Some of them even win.

Look, no one cares what name a horse shows under, but making it year younger and losing its history is not only a USEF rule violation but it's dishonest as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    It's not the name that is the problem (although, I personally find it "blah" at best), it's the link to her past that someone might want to avoid. Instead of having a judge go "alright llet's see what this eventer can do in the hunter ring," you have them saying "let's see how this hunter goes."

And honestly? I was using examples to assist some in understanding 1)that we all have preconceived notions about things, and 2)when you will be subjectively judged, you do everything in your power to stack the deck in your favor. My exxample was a bit exagerated, but so was hers.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Argument doesn't hold water. Jumpers or former jumpers enter derbies all the time, and no one says that they have to be renamed to compete. Some of them even win.
    IT was not an argument, it was a theory positted by another poster. I agreed that it has some validity, which it does. Do you have stereotypes of eventers? Then the theory holds water.

Look, no one cares what name a horse shows under, but making it year younger and losing its history is not only a USEF rule violation but it's dishonest as well.
    Your point? If you read all the posts you would know that I am not on board with the changes made.

(I was editting my post while you were posting yours. Please note I added my theory as to why I think the horse changed names: the new owners didn't like the old name. I suppose aafter seeing the changes they made to her record, there could be more complex, and even dishonest, reasons for the change. )

What is the USEF going to do....I would hope they hold the line regarding the rule, and maybe try to gain back the waning confidence of its members.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    What is the USEF going to do....I would hope they hold the line regarding the rule, and maybe try to gain back the waning confidence of its members.
    Has anyone actually contacted USEF and alerted them?

I know we all *think* they lurk here all the time, but this is rather a long thread to trawl through. A screen grab and an e-mail or several might not go amiss.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief