The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Wow, I hardly ever comment on threads like this, but really? Why all the bitterness? I love and respect eventing as well as the hunters, but if people have such an obvious, deep-seated resentment for either sport, please refrain from slinging mud and negativity and ride your high horse back to your own forum.

12 members found this post helpful.

@ MHM, LOL Atta girl :-) Frankly even back when i evented ( I originally came from hunter world) my eventing friends always seemed to think that they were on the true path to equestrian knowledge and any other path was unworthy. Seems that still exists, at least on this board.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 11-13, 2016

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    The new buyer is not reported in the COTH article.That is what is hearsay.
    Clearly I should have included your entire post, since you don't seem to remember your own context.

You posted
    All heresay, kudos to whoever has a great eye, but may have had more in person material than exposed here. I love Kate ( even owned a pony with her at one point), and think she is a great rider also has a great eye. So whoever it was, more power to 'em.
    In response to the immediately previous post by Alter_nativ3

I was under the impression Kate Conover was the one who saw the horse and got the deal done..
    It is the statement that "Kate Conover was the one who saw the horse and got the deal done" that is in the COTH article, that you are calling "hearsay", and I am saying is and "not hearsay".

Nothing in your post, to which I was responding, said ANYTHING about the "new buyer".

I do, in fact, AGREE that the "new buyer" is "hearsay". But that is NOT what you post was about.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I think Commentary is a stupid name... Just another watered down word trying to pass as sophisticated. Ah hunters...

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Pollie View Post
    Wow, I hardly ever comment on threads like this, but really? Why all the bitterness? I love and respect eventing as well as the hunters, but if people have such an obvious, deep-seated resentment for either sport, please refrain from slinging mud and negativity and ride your high horse back to your own forum.
    I am mystified as to what you think was posted that was bitter, hateful, resentful, mud slinging or negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelico View Post
    I think Commentary is a stupid name... Just another watered down word trying to pass as sophisticated. Ah hunters...
    Well bless your heart
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

8 members found this post helpful.

Then here is a thread you might enjoy!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

1 members found this post helpful.

@ Janet, i was referring to the sale of the horse that most likely was in the post prior to mine. Sorry that wasn't clearer to you. Not writing a legal brief here.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    November 11-13, 2016

Seems there are always naming trends. Hunter names used to be elegant, two or three name words, like "Pen of Ice" or "Lion in Winter" (dating myself here). Now it is the one word trend. Trends come and go (except, as astutely noted by a h/j poster on the eventing forum, alcohol related names are always in vogue).

Other disciplines have trends too, I think. Even the German dressage names seem to have swayed more to Spanish or Italian (Although that might be the fault of the stallion Donnerhall, everybody trying to come up with a "Don" name). The jumpers seem to be all about French names these days, even those that are not Selle Francaise in origin.

As a breeder I tend to dislike name changes myself, but this former eventer, hunter/jumper rider and now DQ agrees that Amber Eyes does sound like a stripper Maybe Amber Rum would have been an acceptable compromise?

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    I am mystified as to what you think was posted that was bitter, hateful, resentful, mud slinging or negative.
    Gee subk, maybe your obvious distain for the hunter ring even down to their names. thats a start, eh?
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    November 11-13, 2016

5 members found this post helpful.

I'd like to clarify that my post regarding stirrup length was by no means a critique. Ir was a question poses for my own education. They appeared longer than other riders so was wondering if anyone knew why she had a particular preference for a stirrup length that appeared long and what benefit it might give over those fences.

Kelly and Larry tend to have a sports theme to their horses names so in that context I don't think Commentary is all that dumb, Good thing she isn't your horse though right?

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    Well bless your heart
    "Bless Your Heart"

I wonder if that name has been taken already?

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    No, you don't see pretty hunter courses from eventers because if you jumped the way you guys jump and the equitation it seems to require you are likely to get carded for dangerous riding if you did it at the upper levels. We don't want our horses to jump the fences in a single pretty form and repeat it over a whole course. We need different forms for different questions. A knee snapping leap with a foot of clearance is an undesirable thing for an eventer and good riders like KOC are riding many jumps making an effort NOT to get that form. So no I certainly hope you are not seeing many "pretty rounds" in eventers, but generally it's not that hard to recognize a horse that's got one in them if you can ask for it.
    I'm not talking about horse form over the fence, I'm talking about form between the fences. A horse could be the second coming of Rox Dene over the fence, but that between the fence ride/way of going just is NOT pretty. ('Course there are a whole lot of not-so-pretty over the fence types as well...but they tend to get better and better as you go up the levels).

And when you are talking about stadium, the shape of the horse's body is actually quite similar. You don't want to jump stadium jumps flat and/or on the fly. You don't want a horse to dwell when doing a stadium, but you really don't want that in a hunter round either.

Now, horse form over XC fences is a completely different thing...but you can't muddy the waters with that discussion and pretend you are making a valid point.

Quote Originally Posted by Alter_nativ3
    I'm not sure what your point is Subk?

The same old saw: Eventers are better!!!!!! At least that's what it feels like. Sigh.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    I'm not talking about horse form over the fence, I'm talking about form between the fences. A horse could be the second coming of Rox Dene over the fence, but that between the fence ride/way of going just is NOT pretty. ('Course there are a whole lot of not-so-pretty over the fence types as well...but they tend to get better and better as you go up the levels).

And when you are talking about stadium, the shape of the horse's body is actually quite similar. You don't want to jump stadium jumps flat and/or on the fly. You don't want a horse to dwell when doing a stadium, but you really don't want that in a hunter round either.

Now, horse form over XC fences is a completely different thing...but you can't muddy the waters with that discussion and pretend you are making a valid point.

[/COLOR]
    The same old saw: Eventers are better!!!!!! At least that's what it feels like. Sigh.
    It is highly unlikely though that the sale video for a hunter was a show jump video. I mean, I've worked with a fare share of upper level event riders who know what a hunter prospect looks like and what an event prospect looks like and video of the same athletic horse marketed to each audience would be different videos highlighting different things.

I imagine they shot video of her at home, on a hunter style course, with proper distances and large ascending oxers to show her off to form. Also edited stuff out that wasn't so great (like a tail flip or botched change).

However, if you were to compare a video of the horse jumping stadium before xc to a video of her jumping the day after, I bet it would be night and day difference. There is a lot of muscle soreness and fatigue in an event horse after a challenging xc course and most of the time you'll see it between fences.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't think that was her point. I think her point was that there are SOME...that can and do make nice hunters and that it shouldn't be so shocking that a horse with such natural talent coming out of one of the best programs in the US for event horses would make the transition easily.

This mare has exceptional form over fences....and has been known as that since imported. And typically had lovely looking courses. I think it was a bit of question whether she would be too careful to make a truly top level eventer (3*+) but you can never tell until they are at that level. But her potential in the hunter ring was pretty obvious if you watched her go in person (don't know about the video clips---but I remember seeing her go at an event and thinking that mare would make a nice hunter). It is always a big question as to whether someone who sees that potential is willing to write a big enough check....especially if the horse is unproven in the new area. People do take this gamble more often than one would think....but what is very unusual is to bring the horse out so soon at such a high profile event AND do so well.

That is a testament to a good rider and a good horse who had a solid foundation in its training. The foundation in GOOD training isn't that different for event horses and show hunters. It is more typical for the event horses with such natural potential for the hunter ring to be sold much earlier in their careers.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jun. 5, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

6 members found this post helpful.

Well we are.

(I'm joking!!!)
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Is the name change really still all some people want to talk about???

And why are we hating on one word show names now? Boo! My horse was given a one word, two syllable German name when he was born 10 years ago. And I don't think they were trying to be trendy! It was a combination of his sire and dam's names.

In other news, the mare is really fantastic in both rings. My horse does hunters, eq, and jumpers. Some bystanders argue he's better in the hunters, while others argue he should stay in the jumper ring. Well I just like the way he feels over a hunter jump better and I will show him in whatever I fancy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    I imagine they shot video of her at home, on a hunter style course, with proper distances and large ascending oxers to show her off to form. Also edited stuff out that wasn't so great (like a tail flip or botched change).
    I doubt there was a sale video at all. I wasn't implying that eventers don't know how to market to hunters (although certainly some do not), but just that watching the stadium video of this mare, you can see LOADS of hunter potential, with some things that still leave you with question marks.

And yes, I get that a horse is going to be different in stadium after having done XC the day before.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    It is always a big question as to whether someone who sees that potential is willing to write a big enough check....especially if the horse is unproven in the new area. People do take this gamble more often than one would think....but what is very unusual is to bring the horse out so soon at such a high profile event AND do so well.

That is a testiment to a good rider and a good horse who had a solid foundation in its training. The foundation in GOOD training isn't that different for event horses and show hunters. It is more typical for the event horses with such natural potential for the hunter ring to be sold much earlier in their careers.
    Agreed (although I do think subk does have some of that high horse in her post). The speed at which the horse successfully made the transition is amazing...and as pointed out before, means those that were in her life previously did a wonderful job with her.

Quote Originally Posted by emirae1091 View Post
    Well we are.

(I'm joking!!!)
    Hahaaaa! Don't worry, the dressage riders sit on top of us all.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, to bring this back around to the horse, I just got to see her live and in person at Upperville in her handy round. She is spectacular. So much fun to watch, and already even better, I thought, then she was in her Devon rounds (a great canter still, but maybe a little more relaxed and quiet). But still a tremendous jump. What a horse! I think I may have a crush.

And, as an event rider, ALL of those HP Working Hunters were amazing. I was enthralled. Wish I could lope down to a big ass oxer so relaxed!

5 members found this post helpful.