The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I was impressed with Commentary, wasn't his score in the handy the best score of the 12 finalists? According to the COTH article that was his hunter debut!
    Yes! She did have the highest score it was 202 and I want to say the next highest was around 187ish for the 2nd round.

As a hunter that loves eventing and follows it in great detail I was looking forward to seeing this horse at Devon and she definately stepped up the plate.

Gorgeous horse, that's mine new favorite hunter. It just jumps out of its skin!
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    The video of the class at Devon is up on USEF Network.

http://usefnetwork.com/featured/2013DevonHorseShow/
    Commentary's handy is at 2:21. Awkward first couple of jumps and some issues with wanting to get really deep in the bridle, but just tons of scope and all the raw materials are there for her to really be even more spectacular after a little more time w/Kelly.

Interesting to see the difference in her jumping style in these two photos:

http://eventingnation.com/home/forme...-on-devon.html

Kelley might want to invest in some Saddle Tite or sticky spray for her rounds with the mare.
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't think her style changed too much:

http://eventingnation.com/eventingna...k/IMG_5225.jpg
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

1 members found this post helpful.

She's the only horse that didn't look fat to me. I read somewhere that Kelley wants to put more weight on her--too bad.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    She's the only horse that didn't look fat to me. I read somewhere that Kelley wants to put more weight on her--too bad.
    Eh, she does need a little more weight, IMO.

I was just going to say the same thing Dewey- she actually looks fit to me whereas most of the others look like fat ponies. She could use a bit more but she definitely doesn't look thin, just fit.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Eh, she does need a little more weight, IMO.
    Making her fat like the other hunters will take away some of the spark that made her stand out and make people apreciate her way of going but you have to hope that they won't dull her so much that she loses it entirely.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I was impressed with Commentary, wasn't his score in the handy the best score of the 12 finalists? According to the COTH article that was his hunter debut! And I agree that Amber Eyes is an ugly hunter name.
    I'm pretty sure it's a mare. Let me go re-read article.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    Making her fat like the other hunters will take away some of the spark that made her stand out and make people apreciate her way of going but you have to hope that they won't dull her so much that she loses it entirely.
    I don't think weight takes away spark... I typically hate the topline on event horses, and this mare is no exception. I'm not saying she needs to be obese, but she does need a little bit more of a crest and a few pounds to not look so "tracky".

Quote Originally Posted by FrittSkritt View Post
    Interesting to see the difference in her jumping style in these two photos:

http://eventingnation.com/home/forme...-on-devon.html

Kelley might want to invest in some Saddle Tite or sticky spray for her rounds with the mare.

Yeah...also a bit different in what that horse did the day before in the 2012 picture (they had run xc). I owned a fabulous jumper....cranked his knees to his eyeballs. But after running xc, he would be a bit flatter of a jump. It would just take a school or two in order to get his back cracking jump back.

This horse has always been outstanding over fences...but like many good jumpers, they are tired after a big xc effort...and their jumps can be flatter.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I don't think weight takes away spark... I typically hate the topline on event horses, and this mare is no exception. I'm not saying she needs to be obese, but she does need a little bit more of a crest and a few pounds to not look so "tracky".
    See the very first thing I noticed about her is that she looked more like a TB, which I loved. I think she looked amazing.

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    See the very first thing I noticed about her is that she looked more like a TB, which I loved. I think she looked amazing.
    Same here...she reminded me of what I remember the hunters looking like when I was a kid. She certainly didn't look tracky.

And being an eventer....she is actually fat for an event horse.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

17 members found this post helpful.

What a cool mare. Rider is a bit distracting though.

I think she could use a few pounds, but not too much.

Quote Originally Posted by bM View Post
    What a cool mare. Rider is a bit distracting though.
    Guess what would be more distracting? A rider getting launched in to the sky over the fence like many riders would on a horse that jumps like that.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Same here...she reminded me of what I remember the hunters looking like when I was a kid. She certainly didn't look tracky.

And being an eventer....she is actually fat for an event horse.
    Huh? Don't know what events y'all are going to but the eventers I see have rockin toplines from dressage training. Fit horse and FUN to watch. Thanks for posting the youtube link cowgirl!

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2shoes View Post
    Huh? Don't know what events y'all are going to but the eventers I see have rockin toplines from dressage training. Fit horse and FUN to watch. Thanks for posting the youtube link cowgirl!
    Top lines yes...and I think this mare does as well. But MOST upper level eventers will have a bit more of a waist. She is plump by eventing standards. Not bad...and how many will look at an early season event....but carrying more weight than ideal going into the bigger events. I think her weight looks ideal for a show horse....and I do think many hunters are too fat.

My gelding is moving up to Intermediate with a pro. He looks like a dressage horse...which is code for he is too fat. Poor boy is getting a muzzle as his pasture just has too much grass. Especially for the bigger horses, they are harder on themselves galloping if there is more of them to lug around.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Guess what would be more distracting? A rider getting launched in to the sky over the fence like many riders would on a horse that jumps like that.
    The event rider in the other video's isn't flopping all over the place in the approach and in the turns on the same horse, so why is this rider?

I'm not starting a debate. I just stated that the rider was distracting.

10 members found this post helpful.