The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pat or whack?

I'm watching the hunter derby on USEF and I have seen two riders pat their horses on the neck after the horses stopped at a fence.

I have always been taught to pat my horse if she saves my butt when I put her at a fence wrong and to give her a whack if she stops for no good reason.

So why the patting if the horse stops 2 strides away?

Didn't Kelly F. whack and *then* pat?

But yeah, I'm with you, that's what I was taught as well.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I was wondering what other people were thinking about that! It had me a bit perplexed. With the dark (gorgeous) horse that stopped after Kelly's you would have thought the horse won the class with the amount of affection it received.

1 members found this post helpful.

If it's actual fear a pat can help reset the situation and a whack hardly ever helps. If it's resistance, pace, or no discernible reason a whack is in order.

6 members found this post helpful.

Is RF Amber Eyes showing in the Derby at Devon?

I also find that while at home I will whack, a show isn't the time to discpline a horse, if it was a stop due to fear, confusion or rider error, in the show ring I'll give my horse a quick pat to calm my nerves and then go back to the course. However if it is imperitive to whack him once behind my leg I'll do so.
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Quote Originally Posted by juststartingout View Post
    Is RF Amber Eyes showing in the Derby at Devon?
    She showed under the name "Commentary". Holy cow, amazing jump!! Did anyone see her score? My live feed went dead just as she finished her round.

I dont know for sure because I didn't watch, but when my horse stopped out in a 3' derby, I was not mad at him because my horse never stops. He was panicking because of the crowd near an oxer. So...I patted him. No sense smacking a scared TB who has never stopped at a fence before.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkTwice View Post
    She showed under the name "Commentary". Holy cow, amazing jump!! Did anyone see her score? My live feed went dead just as she finished her round.
    It was a 171. (Courtesy of @ProEquest and @USEFNetwork on Twitter). Should have been higher IMO; that is one heck of a horse!!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Kat. View Post
    . . . a show isn't the time to discpline a horse. . .
    Forget that. My horse and his training always comes before what other people think of me. Be the rider your horse needs.

7 members found this post helpful.

That is what I've always been taught too and I brought this up while watching the MaClay I believe it was. (I don't remember the remark being too well received either) Horses are smart and if they get to just stop and get a pat they will figure that one out. It depends on the situation, if you have a horse that stops shaking at a fence then that is one thing but most of these horses know their job since they do it just about every weekend over different fences.