The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about Sore No More Gelatin

Hi there! So I won a while ago a give away, and I got a B.O.T saddle pad, some horse treats, and the Sore No More Gelatin. I've been scouring the Internet for how to use it exactly, but I can fin much other than the obvious "rub it on legs and use with or without wraps". So basically I'm wondering, do you rinse it off after you put it on? Won't it stain boots and what not if used under them?

Thanks!

I love the gelatin. I use it mostly at/after horse shows under wraps (if my horses aren't being poulticed) or in the rare case that we do more jumping than usual at home. Sometimes, I will use it without wraps, mainly just to satisfy my own neuroses. In neither instance do I wash it off. I haven't known it to stain the pillow wraps.
    Congrats on winning the give a way!! Those are fun gifts!!

use it just like a liquid linament. It just doesn't run out of your hand as you apply it!

It is 'gel' not 'gelatin'. Gel refers to the form of it as being not as liquid as most liniments, meaning it is easier to get all of it onto the leg, not some dripping off of your hands into the bedding or onto the floor. The reference to using with or without wraps meaning no wraps are needed, but that it will not blister or harm the legs if heat is applied via wraps. IMO, who gives a rat's patoot whether it stains the wraps!?!? If you are more worried about the wraps than your horse's legs, then I recommend a readjustment of priorities.
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; Jun. 2, 2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typo
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    IMO, who gives a rat's patoot whether it stains the wraps!?!? If you are more worried about the wraps than your horse's legs, then I recommend a readjustment of priorities.
    I read that the OP is concerned it may stain boots (as in possibly white, expensive boots). And I can totally understand being concerned about keeping nice equipment nice, especially when using a new product that you might not even know if it works.

No worries OP, it won't stain your horse's boots.

Use it just like any other liniment. It can be used under any wraps because unlike some brands, it will not irritate or burn the horse's skin.

1 members found this post helpful.

It won't stain your boots (it's too watered down)
    Be sure to shake it up though..

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for your input everybody I got it now!!!

If you are more worried about the wraps than your horse's legs, then I recommend a readjustment of priorities.
    Yikes haha. The reason I was asking was because the horse I ride is on lease with me, and therefore I don't have to provide any tack for her. So therefore if this product would stain boots/wraps/etc, I'd invest in my own instead of ruining he owners niiiice boots/wraps.

But thanks for your input and answering the question!

3 members found this post helpful.

It is 'gel' not 'gelatin'.
    It's actually called "gelotion." On the container. I'm guessing it got autocorrected.

2 members found this post helpful.

I LOVE the stuff and I find it works even BETTER with BOT items!! I have a horse with SI issues and on really stiff days or hard lessons Ill take a glove and just massage it into my horses topline, lower back and hips. If we are at a show I do this then add his BOT summer sheet for a couple hours to really help the area and it gives amazing results!!

But basically I massage it into the area and leave it on and basically brush it off the next day.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Thanks for explaining the wraps question. It really helps to know the backgrounder/context. One other suggestion though, is since the horse is leased, it is a good idea to ask the owner what liniment(s) he or she prefers that you use, and to ask that person whether any effect upon the wraps is an issue or not. If I were the owner, I would not give a hoot what the liniment did to the wraps; I would be more interested in making sure it would not be either a substance to which the horse might be allergic, or whether it might be a substance that would 'test' at a competition. IIRC, there is or was an ingredient in Sore No More that was causing drug test related disqualifications, but I cannot remember which ingredient it is.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Fwiw, I used it in my pulled quad.... It was awesome.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Don't wash it off... BTW, works great on people too!!!

1 members found this post helpful.