The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Which one would you buy?

Both unraced TB's

Horse #1: 3 years old 15.2hh and finer build. Fancier mover, big shoulder but naturally a little quicker step. Flat toe pointed movement. Round and low headset, yet very balanced. Hunter type for sure, lead changes will be easy and I feel jump would be round and tidy. Downside is height, there is a decent splint (cold and set) and that because he is small he may have to go a little more forward. I think he could make the lines. Never seen a track or training track. Will be fancier show horse.

Horse # 2: 4 year old, 16.1hh big bodied. Common mover, tighter in the shoulders at the trot but canter is decent. So far only canters off one lead, but is very green. Visibly clean legs. Based on shoulder I dont think his jump will be as nice, but I also dont think it will be horrible. Canter felt good and balanced, but not quite as natural as 1, however this one has less saddle time so I think it will come. Overall this horse is probably more quiet, schoolie type, easy breazy personality. More mature than horse#1. Did take a few stiff steps at the beginning, but worked out of it great. Did track train lightly. Less fancy show horse, but fits the "look" more with his size and body type.

Looking for a project, not a quick resale - but must be something that could be sold eventually if my situation changes. Both horses are priced the same and although I had a preferance for one, they are both lovely and would be happy with either. Please help me choose!!

I would go to horse #1 but I would check his legs 100% if it does really well, he could be a small junior if not, there are quite a few ammies who are in need of a smaller horse, they're harder to find but possible.
    If you think he'll make an AWESOME horse then I would take the size risk.
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Tough call and I think it comes down to personal preference. "I'd" pick #1. The cold splint doesn't bother me, I have a 15'3 mare that is super athletic, jumps the moon and makes the lines. For a resale, the words "fancy" and "hunter" make me tingly (not in a wierd way).

Height- small Juniors come from somewhere and a fancy one is worth it's weight in gold.

As far as "look"- it depends on your market to some degree. Some get caught up in just the look and forget the overall pic. My small mare is cute. Put her under saddle and she's stunning. Take an acquaintance's horse. It's lovely to look at and looks the "type". Truth is, it can win on the local non rated, but can't compete in the big leagues, tracks funny behind ect.

Both sound like fun prospects, but I'd go with #1.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

1 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Well, height always seems to win in sales projects, especially if $ matters a lot. As long as you can take your time I'd probably go for #2. I also tend to like the less quick movers. If you are looking for a hunter it may be a never ending battle to get #1s stride the way you want it. My trainer is working w/ a TB right now who sounds very similar to #1 (though less fancy) and increasing her length of stride/slowing her trot has been a never ending project.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

If horse number two has a good amatuer mind and is easy going thats what I would consider. Size and brain sell. Must likely your target sell for this horse will be to a broader selling audience. Although number one sounds more athletic at the end of the day its 15.2 and you will turn off a lot of buyers with that size range.
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

15.2 in a three year old wouldn't worry me too much. I bet you'd get at least another inch of growth before he finishes up.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't bat an eye at cold splints anymore, especially if anyone ever took a look at my shin splints (ha). However, there is a lot to be said about a good personality and work ethic. That might sell quicker, although for less, than the fancier ride.

#2 all the way. I have a feeling that the first horse is too small and will be a harder resale. #1 sounds nice if you were keeping it, but I'd be cautious of it as a resale project.

Good Luck!

Can you find out how big #1's parents or siblings are? I agree you could be looking at more growth, unless he/she looks "done." Even then...

I'd go with #2 though. I'm not old yet, but brains win for me every time.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Default # 1 gets my vote ~ both are nice potential projects ~ Enjoy !

# 1. gets my vote !

* both sound like nice potential projects for you !

Enjoy !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Did take a few stiff steps at the beginning
    this would bother me, I don't expect a 4 yr old to start out stiff when everything else you mention about his personality suggests it's out of character ... so I think physical (arthritis or whatever).
    Also a horse that goes into training but comes doesn't run, I suspect physical issues (even when it's "just" feet).

If you're in an area with a lot of OTTB's, look at what sells in the market that you think both would eventually enter (in my area it would not be the common looking horse unless he were very talented).

I'd personally choose #1 - if he's less mature than #2, I suspect he'll make some height anyway ...

You might have basic vetting or respected trainer assessment done on both & then choose on that basis

Since you seem to like these horses pretty much the same amount I imagine it would be much easier for you to make a decision if you could see them both jump. Since you want to do hunter/jumper, I personally would be hesitant to buy either without seeing them over something.
    Any chance you can get videos of them free jumping over something small?
    Good luck!

Thanks for all your opinions. Im not really looking for a "resale horse", but one that I COULD sell should my situation change. I dont plan on taking it and selling right away, but need the option of future sale if I move, have unexpected bills etc.

I know both horses full histories down to their weights as foals. They have been extremely well cared for and all veterinary information was open for me.

Also, to clarify I am not looking into making one a small junior hunter. These are low level fun hunter types, horse 1 would be a fancier B circuit type and horse 2 seems like he will be a solid B circuit type that could go all-round.

Although horse 2 was a little stiff at the beginning, he was inside all day and is used to living out 24 hours. Within 2 minutes he worked out of it. He wasnt lame, just not moving forwrd through his shoulder. If he doesnt work out, I can get a refund and return him - so I dont think its too much of a risk on my part. He didnt run because he wasnt fast enough, which is apparently common from the sire, he did train. Horse 1 didnt train because of an injury as a yearling resulting in the large splint.

Full brother to horse 1 is 15.3hh at 7, horse 1 will not go past 15.3hh and is much finer boned. Horse 2 is probably full grown around 16-16.1hh and solid.

I dont worry about free jumping, its not a huge investment and if horse doesnt want to jump then it can be a trail/hack horse. Hardly spending a dime, so its not worth pissing owners off asking for more testing especially since the horses only have a few rides under saddle on them. (horse 2 did trot over his first pole on the trial and was also ridden by a beginner rider).

Even if horse 2 just wants to be a schoolie type, he will be a fun project I think. He seems to be more ammy friendly (although 1 was also quite easy) and at my age thats probably a better choice....so that is the one I picked. If it doesnt work out, owners are more than happy to take him back, but hopefully I made the right decision

Yes, I'd for go #2.... let us know how it goes

n

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    this would bother me, I don't expect a 4 yr old to start out stiff when everything else you mention about his personality suggests it's out of character ... so I think physical (arthritis or whatever).
    Also a horse that goes into training but comes doesn't run, I suspect physical issues (even when it's "just" feet).

If you're in an area with a lot of OTTB's, look at what sells in the market that you think both would eventually enter (in my area it would not be the common looking horse unless he were very talented).

I'd personally choose #1 - if he's less mature than #2, I suspect he'll make some height anyway ...

You might have basic vetting or respected trainer assessment done on both & then choose on that basis
    This is what I was thinking - why is he stiff?

From the way you describe them, I think you like #1 more. A sprightly little horse who sounds fun & talented.

Stand in front of both horses facing the chest. Clasp your fingers together around the back of the knee. Slowly (so he doesn't resist) pull the leg forward and up.

Buy the horse whose knee comes forward and up most easily. That one will have the better form over fences.

I always did this at the track when looking at OTTB's. I never ended up with a bad jumper using this test. And you will be surprised that, sometimes, the horse with the better looking shoulder has more restricted range of motion than you would expect.
    I have talked Maggie into running for President. She will be running on the Curly Haired Dog ticket. Her campaign slogan is "Don't be douchy or I'll pee on your carpet".