The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Very excited to see the differences between...

The fox hunting class and the USHJA hunter derby this am at Devon!!

Any thoughts/ predictions?
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

My prediction is... USEF won't show the foxhunters. :-P
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

2 members found this post helpful.

Weird Hunter Derby so far - I've never seen Taken refuse! But at least some of these riders are bringing some pace to the table.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Weird Hunter Derby so far - I've never seen Taken refuse! But at least some of these riders are bringing some pace to the table.
    It's the top 12 for the handy, yes?
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    It's the top 12 for the handy, yes?
    Unless there's something to the contrary in the prize list (which I doubt), yes, 12.

Not at all impressed by this derby. Jumps are pretty close to the end of the ring and long lines are making for some jerky turns, and the lines are causing trouble for most of the class; one pro in particular missed repeatedly on both horses.

However, I was pretty impressed by Kelley's eventer turned hunter. That one is going to be hard to beat soon! She was jumping out of her skin- I gasped a few times.

Taken stopped during the week--I believe in his second division? The High Performance, maybe? I think he's quite small and the lines at Devon are notoriously long--it looked like on both occasions (today and in the week) he jumped in on the quiet/weak side and didn't quite get out--both didn't look like spooky stops, and Kelley didn't punish him either time.

I just tuned in and scores seem way all over the board. What happened?
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Unless there's something to the contrary in the prize list (which I doubt), yes, 12.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I'm with BigEqRLS. It is rather disappointing actually. I was expecting something grand, it being at Devon, but the course is quite boring, and rides rather jerky as BigEq said. And it seems a little short, and I don't like the way the last fence is so close to the exit that riders have to really haul back on their horse just so they can walk out the gate.

This ties in to that other thread about how hunter derbies are just becoming another ring class.
    Last edited by Janeway; Jun. 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: grammar

I'm ticked b/c Inclusive absolutely swapped in front of the last jump in the Handy and the judges seem to have missed that.

Well, the foxhunters is just a reward class for local hunters and has nothing to do with actual foxhunting. It's open to the top placings of various local hunter classes at the show. The derby are some of the top performance hunters in the country. I'd expect a pretty major difference
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I don't know why but there were a LOT of refusals all around this year at Devon. the liverpool knocked out seriously half the class in the adult jumpers. Then there was a (to me) totally innocuous diagonal line in the gold ring that a bunch of the low A/Os wouldn't go NEAR. I dunno?!

I will disagree that it's bad design to have the last fence close to the exit. I think it's intentional and an appropriate test of obedience to see whether these horses can canter up to a fence and then very quickly return to a calm walk to exit the ring. That I think is precisely the sort of thing hunter derbies should test.

As for it being kind of dull. I'm with you but unfortunately there are limitations at Devon that you can't really get around due to the space. We don't have a big field we could have the class in. We can't build grobs and stuff in the the Dixon oval. For better or for worse we're a little stuck with the ring and it's dimensions.

The VERY first year we had a derby, they tried to be more creative. IIRC there was a trot jump AND a jump where the riders had to dismount and lead the horses over (or a gate to open, I am blending the first and second year we had a derby in my mind a bit). Anyway... the class took f-o-r-e-v-e-r and there were a lot of complaints about the gate opening/leading over fences from the competitors. Since the first and second year, it's been more of a basic course but then again that seems to be the trend everywhere with the derbies. They're becoming just another class with bigger fences, options, and maybe a tiny bit more emphasis on handiness?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I'm ticked b/c Inclusive absolutely swapped in front of the last jump in the Handy and the judges seem to have missed that.
    Eh, it's just a swap. You have to take the rest of the course into account. He was still far and away the best. They were also on the other side of the ring... It's not hard to miss.

I don't think they missed it - he was only 4th in the handy round with an otherwise beautiful round but his first round score was so high he was still the overall winner

Default complete results????

Devon website has been behind the eight ball with the results.

About Taken, he has to really clock to get the lines and Devons lines were a pretty big effort for him. I think he was just tired. Kelly adores him and would never punish him.

I think the pros are responsible for the dumbing down of the Derbies. When WEF had one early on with banks and fences at the bottom of a down hill ride, the pros complained and said they would opt out if they did that again. It was a really interesting class for the spectators, but too many good horses made bad mistakes and the pros didn't want to take chances with them.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I will disagree that it's bad design to have the last fence close to the exit. I think it's intentional and an appropriate test of obedience to see whether these horses can canter up to a fence and then very quickly return to a calm walk to exit the ring. That I think is precisely the sort of thing hunter derbies should test.
    Agree w/ this. In fact, I was a bit amazed that no riders at all, not even the pros, took what was an obvious, open invitation there for a bit of extra showmanship: bring your horse to a complete halt inside the ring after that last fence, stand him up, nice correct halt, and drop the reins on his neck for a couple seconds to prove the horse can go from gallop to halt and stand still without getting twinkletoes or leaving. THEN pat horse and walk out quietly.

You DO have to practice this at home, but a well-trained horse learns it quickly, and when it works in the show ring it looks *sooooo* nice - *sigh* - just puts a lovely period at the end of your round. I can't think of a better place to do it than the course today. An opportunity was missed by all!

And Claudius, I agree with you, too!

Agree w/ this. In fact, I was a bit amazed that no riders at all, not even the pros, took what was an obvious, open invitation there for a bit of extra showmanship: bring your horse to a complete halt inside the ring after that last fence, stand him up, nice correct halt, and drop the reins on his neck for a couple seconds to prove the horse can go from gallop to halt and stand still without getting twinkletoes or leaving. THEN pat horse and walk out quietly.
    Eh, I don't think a complete halt is appropriate or necessary. Walking out of the ring on a loose rein, of course, but I would never halt unless expressly asked to by the judge.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Eh, I don't think a complete halt is appropriate or necessary. Walking out of the ring on a loose rein, of course, but I would never halt unless expressly asked to by the judge.
    If the rule book doesn't say you CAN'T, then you CAN. Don't be sheeple!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

If the rule book doesn't say you CAN'T, then you CAN. Don't be sheeple!!!
    Unless things have changed since I did the hunters (entirely possible), if it's not specifically in the course diagram, halting would be off-course (or technically a refusal). I would never, ever do that unless it was specifically stated.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Unless things have changed since I did the hunters (entirely possible), if it's not specifically in the course diagram, halting would be off-course (or technically a refusal). I would never, ever do that unless it was specifically stated.
    I agree with this. War Admiral, have you ever shown in a derby? I don't believe so, but I could be wrong. It's not about being sheeple—I just don't think it would add anything to an already nice trip.

2 members found this post helpful.