The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Holy Moly, That is some bizarre looking thing. I cannot tell, but does it even have a noseband? I am clueless.
    It looks a little severe, And the curb seems higher up than most. I would be curious as well to know what it is and it's purpose.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

You could probably stop a train with that thing!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

1 members found this post helpful.

I was a WS for a rider in Europe at one point who rode XC in a double bridle except she had a gag bit where the bradoon should have been.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    You could probably stop a train with that thing!
    Kind of what I was thinking!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Cracks me up. Every clinic I go to someone always asks about changing their XC bit. Followed on cue by an eye-rolling, mini-lecture on "it's NOT the bit!"
    And then I see the bits on some of these UL horses and I go "hmmmmm....."
    If it's not the bit, then why..........

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Kind of what I was thinking!
    It's interesting that his mouth is open in a lot of those pics. Small sample, I know, but still makes me wonder.

Does anyone know what it is?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Cracks me up. Every clinic I go to someone always asks about changing their XC bit. Followed on cue by an eye-rolling, mini-lecture on "it's NOT the bit!"
    And then I see the bits on some of these UL horses and I go "hmmmmm....."
    If it's not the bit, then why..........
    Obviously the upper level riders need to spend more time on flatwork.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Obviously the upper level riders need to spend more time on flatwork.
    I know I sure do! Seriously, that's a lot of metal in that horse's mouth, gotta be very careful around any form of electricity.

4 members found this post helpful.

I guess in my opinion, it looks like a lot, but if anyone else wants to take the horse around in a loose ring french link snaffle good luck to ya!

It looks like it's made like that to attach it to a curb chain to give leverage under the jaw but in a wierd way that isn't like a regular pelham or curb bit and chain.

http://www.photosbybailini.com/g2/v/...-1052.jpg.html

This may explain part of the bitting issue - he is a very strong horse from what I understand.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...rsey-fresh-cci

Quote Originally Posted by Bravestrom View Post
    This may explain part of the bitting issue - he is a very strong horse from what I understand.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...rsey-fresh-cci
    Ahh, Well he does look like he is very Game in that Jersey Fresh photo.
    Like, Yeah, Try and stop me, I am on a mission.

Thanks for the link to that article. It provides a good perspective. Still would like to know more about this bit though. I have never seen one like it!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I think I just saw one like it while cruising the net. It's a very odd gag.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I can't see the photos on my phone, but I've seen her ride in this bit in the past:

http://www.mikmar.com/bit-pages/combo-bit.html

It's probably not the one in question since it was a pretty popular bit just a few years ago, but I thought I'd give it a try

Weird story about her previous elimination. Remember some of those really famous old event horses who practically drug their riders around cross country? Those thinking horses seemed like the safest ones in the sport except occasionally being too athletic for riders to stay on!

If you look at it the mechanics are essentially a pelham with no snaffle rein. The curb chain is set higher under the jaw. You could probably get a similar effect with a hackamore combo bit without the noseband piece.

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    Weird story about her previous elimination. Remember some of those really famous old event horses who practically drug their riders around cross country? Those thinking horses seemed like the safest ones in the sport except occasionally being too athletic for riders to stay on!
    Do you remember Ginny Leng riding Murphy Himself? There's a reason he went to Ian Stark. She was just not big/strong enough to control him.

It's definitely not the mikmar that was linked to above. I saw the bit in warmup at Jersey Fresh and it was definitely something I've never seen before!
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

That horse looks like a frieght train xc...and she isn't a big person. Isn't this the horse that got her a DR for going too fast/looking out of control in the past?

She's a nice rider....and that is a big strong horse...stronger than most xc. She can use what ever works IMO.

And while DRESSAGE is typically the right answer.....some horses, not matter how well they go doing dressage, are really really really strong xc. And no amout of flat work installs a half halt that works on them.

Personally...I don't want to ride a horse like that, but do know others who don't mind (if they have the talent).

ETA: Ah, I see I did remember right. Really strong horse.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    That horse looks like a frieght train xc...and she isn't a big person. Isn't this the horse that got her a DR for going too fast/looking out of control in the past?

She's a nice rider....and that is a big strong horse...stronger than most xc. She can use what ever works IMO.

And while DRESSAGE is typically the right answer.....some horses, not matter how well they go doing dressage, are really really really strong xc. And no amout of flat work installs a half halt that works on them.

Personally...I don't want to ride a horse like that, but do know others who don't mind (if they have the talent).

ETA: Ah, I see I did remember right. Really strong horse.
    I was there at Jersey Fresh for the ride that got her the yellow card and I said at the time that I thought the GJ made a judgment based on her size and gender that they wouldn't have made for a larger male rider based on the same set of circumstances. They weren't the only pair that had some hairy fences because the horse was being too strong.

Since she's knows she's not going to be given the benefit of the doubt and she knows she has a horse that can get strong on xc, then I can't blame her for bitting up. He does a nice dressage test so that's not the issue.