The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horsetrials, combined training around Athens. GA?

Hey all! I am looking for somewhere in the Athens area to enter some low level combined training shows, horsetrails, etc. I am currently showing beginner novice and am moving from an area with LOTS of CT shows and HTs, and am not sure what is around athens. I don't mind if they are small barn shows, I just want some more experience for my green horse. Thanks!

Make sure you check out the GDCTA website- there are several CT shows listed, many of them close to (or in!) Athens. There's one next weekend in Lexington, GA that is doing both dressage and combined tests that a friend and I are going to; it's supposed to be a little over half an hour away.

There's an Athens Area H/J association too, so check out their website.

If you're talking recognized horse trials, Pine Top, Chattahoochee Hills, Poplar Place, Aiken (Sporting Days, Full Gallop, etc.) are all relatively close- within two to three hours.

I moved here fairly recently too, but I moved from an area with very few CTs or HTs, so I feel like Athens has a LOT to do

If you're willing to drive 2.5-3 hrs, you can also reach FENCE in Tryon, NC. Has various horse trials and cross-country schooling days. www.fence.org Check out for calendar of events.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Ashland farms www.ashlandfarm.com has combined tests and x-country schooling though not as many as they used to. Silverthorn Farm in Athens has schooling Hunter-Jumper Shows. Barlyn Farm has dressage schooling shows and Dublin Downs in Winterville as CT. Oh, High Point www.highpointfarm.org also offers hunter shows and CT.

Where are you boarding? PM me for more info/details on stuff if you like. I have lived in the area for years

Lanier Eq association LEA does a series at Chicopee Woods a nice facility Oxer farm does a series Shakerag Hounds aren't that far either if you want to help GDCTA has a CT dressage show at Wills Park worth the trip you can hit the tack stores! Wilson Farms in Alpharetta has a series and some CC to school they use an R dressage judge Have Fun!!
    Gallop on

Quote Originally Posted by EventingChase View Post
    Ashland farms www.ashlandfarm.com has combined tests and x-country schooling though not as many as they used to. Silverthorn Farm in Athens has schooling Hunter-Jumper Shows. Barlyn Farm has dressage schooling shows and Dublin Downs in Winterville as CT. Oh, High Point www.highpointfarm.org also offers hunter shows and CT.

Where are you boarding? PM me for more info/details on stuff if you like. I have lived in the area for years
    I'm boarding at Morning run farm! A friend of mine boards there and loves it so I decided on there, even though it is a tiny bit out of the way (about ten minutes from my dorm). I am moving my mare in late July. The barn is actualy literally RIGHT next door to the UGA Equestrian Complex. I am very excited and cannot wait to hop into come events around there! I am defnitely doing the Ashland Farm CT in november, but am trying to find some more to do as well!

Let me extend an early welcome to Morning Run! I have my two geldings there and have been very happy with the barn. We'll have to tag up about schooling shows and such!

I used to have my ponies there!! It's a fantastic place! Definitely check out the GDCTA website. And consider joining! There are all sorts of good perks

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dbolte View Post
    Let me extend an early welcome to Morning Run! I have my two geldings there and have been very happy with the barn. We'll have to tag up about schooling shows and such!
    thank you! I am very excited to come!! Maggie is a friend of mine and I am glad she recommended it! We defnitely will have to! It would be great to get a group to go to some schooling shows!