The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've always worn Danskos but I wouldn't recommend trying to do anything in them other than walk on flat terrain! But they are so easy to slip into! At $100+ per pair, I started wondering if I could find a closed back clog that could withstand water without getting ruined.

Crocs makes a closed back clog in a waterproof material for around $45. I found them in a store that sells scrubs/nursing supplies. The heel is also not as thick, so it seems less likely to twist your ankles in them.

I have a pair of tenna shoes with the laces all laced up so loose that they're slip-ons!

spray them out with the hose and let them sit in the sun and they're good as new. In another lifetime they were a pair of Nike walking shoes...

1 members found this post helpful.

A little more than ankle length rubber boot called a boat boot.

Usually found in sporting goods stores.

Winter: Muck boots
    Summer: Blundstones (with orthotic inside to provide extra support)

I have also worn duck shoes for quick dash in and out but if I have to go into a stall they collect too many shavings inside. For actually working in the barn I prefer something taller.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

1 members found this post helpful.

I wear Blundstones in the summer, too. I was recently stomped on by a spooky gelding and thanked my stars I was wearing something a bit more solid than sneakers...all I ended up with was a sore foot and horseshoe-shaped bruise. I'm pretty careful with barn footwear.

I'm surprised you Blundstone lovers haven't discovered the Dublin Venturer: http://www.smartpakequine.com/dublin...oot-5451p.aspx

Super comfortable, great protection, and half the price of Blunnies!

I love my Bogs! They keep all manner of barn wetness and muck away from my feets!:

http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/52458-001.html

I just bought a pair of Maui Shore Co. pull on vented sneaker type shoes without laces. I love them! Found them on sale at Kohl's for about $55.

I have these:

http://www.bootbarn.com/The-Original...r&prefv1=Women

They are great barn shoes. They just slip on, are waterproof, and the inside of the shoe is comfortable and supportive (it feels like gel to me).

Crocs here, too. Not protective(but neither are tennis shoes!), but they do the job.

I use these for everyday, except when it is wet out:

http://www.shoebuy.com/ariat-heritage-roper/446846/1201933?cm_mmc=googleproductads_pla-_-none-_-none-_-{keyword}

They are incredibly comfortable. I can do barn work and then just step up on a horse. I ride in either my barrel saddle or one of my dressage saddles (in which case I throw on some half-chaps over my riding jeans). I'm lazy..LOL They look great with jeans and feel like slippers. TSC carries them. I never wear soft-toed shoes around horses.

i wear my muck boots year around. love those things!
    Don't squat with yer spurs on

Port of Call "Cruise" 3/4 Thoroughbred -1/4 Clyde 4/15/98-3/1/12 RIP my handsome boy

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    Crocs here, too. Not protective(but neither are tennis shoes!), but they do the job.
    I third the crocs. I have the closed heel ones that someone else mentioned, with no ventilation holes in them. I love them. I wear them mucking, leading in and out, doing groundwork, and I even (gasp!) ride in them on a lot of occasions. But then, I would ride in tennis shoes too, before I discovered crocs.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

I have to thank those of you who suggested the Merrell Encore Breeze shoes. The pair that I ordered came this morning and I have been wearing them around the house all day. Talk about comfortable! These things are great. The only problem is that they are so nice looking that I'm tempted to save them for good, instead of for barn shoes, like I originally planned.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by twofatnags View Post
    I love my Bogs! They keep all manner of barn wetness and muck away from my feets!:
    I definitely second the Bogs, though I prefer the high version;
    http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/60153-001.html
    Mostly because I feel better protected against snakes and other creatures while I'm walking across fields and lawns and such. I have two pairs, one for "hard core farm work", another for every day use. they come in awesome colors, too.