The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How about really smart horses that can perceive intent readily and are inherently suspicious of strangers?

Default Great thread with lots of great ideas ~ thanks everyone !

Great thread with lost of great ideas ~ thanks everyone !

** never under`estimate that person or persons who "looks" like they 'belong'

be cautious of those who you do not think you need to worry about... sometimes they = people who 'look' like and 'act' like they belong are discovered to be the thieves

no need to ask me how I know ~ and she ```` YES SHE !!!

turned out to be the "arsonist" several attempts !

now a convicted arsonist / felon !!

Talking about stress and she lived right down the road !
    One way ``` dead end SO she knew when we were home and when the police were there !

Be careful everyone !!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I've heard of people casing boarding barns by posing as potential clients - they get to see the tack rooms and all the tack and often are told directly about theft prevention measures - how to weed them out? When is the best time to discuss gate locking time etc? After the signing of the contract? How hard do horse and tack thieves want to work?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Just curious, do you folks Micro Chip your horses?
    I think Micro chipping is a great thing, Wondering if that is something that is becoming more common for horses.
    All of my animals are chipped. It didn't cost much and it makes me happier.

I also have big spiky hedges, double gates that get locked and noisy dogs.

I also work with my neighbours to keep an eye on each other's property.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

The appearance of vigilance is important. A few decades ago, the State Troopers announced that they would have a greatly increased presence on a certain road on a certain date and that they would be watching for drunk drivers. People wrote in to the newspapers (yeah, that's how long ago it was!) to criticize this announcement saying that the police should not advertize their presence, otherwise people would just avoid driving drunk on that road... exactly. That was the point.

The local newspaper printed a study about people's behavior relative to actual police presence compared to perceived police presence. Not surprisingly, less crime was committed when there was the perception of police presence, regardless of the reality.

I'm sure many of you have read The Tipping Point which addresses this phenomenon. The author also talks about the reality of crime increasing in areas which appear poor or poorly-kept, compared to high-end neighborhoods. One example he gives is the expensive Rodeo Drive/equivalent street at 2:00am, compared to a ratty poor district. There may be thieves in both areas, but the same thief would not throw a rock through a showroom window in the high-end district, presumably due to the perception of security and policing. In reality, some of the higher-crime areas studied actually had more police presence.

So, in addition to actual great security measures mentioned already, signs which announce video surveillance, "Beware of Dog" signs, security company signs, prominently visible surveillance cameras (even if they are not working), and a well-kept prosperous-looking property (I know, it sounds counter-intuitive) can signal to theives that the owners are present, vigilant, and well-connected to policing authorities.
    Last edited by PeteyPie; Jun. 3, 2013 at 02:05 AM. Reason: grammar mistake

1 members found this post helpful.

How about a "no-trespassing, owner has guns" sign???

Boarding sometimes worries me because people can be thieves! I just do not understand it. Cannot wait until I can keep horses at my own horse again.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
    How about a "no-trespassing, owner has guns" sign???
    Then won't thieves wait till nobody's home and come steal your guns?

I have a lot of noisy dogs. And nosy neighbors. I'm so far out in the country that our thieves tend to be people we know. All the old ladies out here are now computer-literate, and they check the jail's webpage every morning. Then they call each other and pretty soon everybody knows Light Fingered Louie is out again, and what he's driving.

1 members found this post helpful.

Be wary of strangers coming to the barn. At a prior barn, we had some guy pull in right after us and strike up a conversation, asking us which horse was ours. It stood out because it was a small, private barn. A number of nice homes in the area were burglarized around that time.

I appreciate that my current BO lives on the property, with a bedroom window overlooking the gravel driveway. The horses on night turnout are also kept where she can see them.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Suppose your horse with a chip is stolen. What help is that?

Where are horses scanned for chips?

We have video cameras around the property. It is also gated and we have cameras in the barn also. Property is competely fenced in with gate at drive and a beware guard dog on duty sign by the road on the fence. Also have a German Shepard to hold help the sign out lol. Also have a sign that says strangers will be shot, survivors will be shot again lol. Alarm system on the house as well. Use to have little singers on the drive and porch that if something went through the line it would let us know, but that broke. The video cameras around property and alarm system were here when we bought the house so that was nice.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    How about really smart horses that can perceive intent readily and are inherently suspicious of strangers?

Here is the horse I am buying to protect my farm.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_nuKzNuV-Y
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by macmtn View Post
    YOU forgot the mine field, moat with alligators, 24 armed guards and a pack of killer chihuahuas...
    In summer my moat dries out and the gators go after the chihuahuas :'(

But honestly, most of the cases I've read about on COTH involve some kind of dispute where the owner knows who has the animal, but either there's some kind of irregularity with the ownership papers*, or the owner for some reason seems to think that a horse is not a piece of property like any other and wonders what in the world they can do about the theft (and sometimes gets the advice to try to buy it back???).

*hey, I have no ownership papers on mine. First horse I even bought, cash sale, la dee dah. My good luck that previous owner is not a scammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Just curious, do you folks Micro Chip your horses?
    I think Micro chipping is a great thing, Wondering if that is something that is becoming more common for horses.
    It's a state law that all horses in Louisiana be microchipped. You can't get a Coggins without it. This law supposedly helped return almost all horses to their owners after Hurricane Katrina.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    *hey, I have no ownership papers on mine. First horse I even bought, cash sale, la dee dah. My good luck that previous owner is not a scammer.
    I bought my horse from a dear friend, whom I trust absolutely. She looked a little taken aback when I asked her to sign a bill of sale. I had to quickly explain that I wasn't worried about her ever trying to get the horse back - but what if, God forbid, my horse was ever missing from the property (in hurricane country, it can happen) and I had to prove to someone else that I owned him?

Hmmm... A clean bill of sale, pay upfront rather than in payments, try not to create enemies, always have good contracts, and try to avoid shady characters as best you can.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Locking English saddle rack, which would deter theft, but if they really want it, they will find a way to remove it.

I take photos of stuff in the barn periodically so I have proof of what is there. Also I photograph everything in my trailer too.

When we have a tack sale we try to get a bunch of people together and hold it in a "neutral" place. The Legion, VFW or a local business that will let us use their parking lot.

There have been people who have had their saddles, tack, and whatever stolen after having a lawn sale. When you have a bunch of people milling around, it's hard to keep track of everyone. If they find out your routine bit's very easy for them to come back and help themselves since they already know what they're looking for.