The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff: Protecting your horse and property against theft?

After reading all about horses and horse stuff getting stolen, I am becoming paranoid!!! What is the best way to protect your horses and the things you own (tack, trailers, etc?).

To protect your trailer against theft, buy a trailer lock that goes into the hitch. No one can steal your trailer with the lock in place (unless the trailer is hitched to your truck and they steal that too.

1 members found this post helpful.

haha what if they steal that too?! Would gating in your property help, or attract more potential thieves?

If your proeprty is gated it would definitely deter thieves.

Strong perimeter property fencing. Add Solar electric, 3 strands, to solid fencing.
    Anti-theft chains and padlocks on ALL gates.
    Keep gates LOCKED at all times!
    Install gates with upper hinge flanges pointing down; lower hinge flanges pointing up, so that gate cannot be removed.
    Proper signage to deter trespassers.
    Dirt or gravel in and out of gate drives so you can see if anyone has been through there besides you. Read the drive every time you pass through.
    Driveway alarm with loud alarm
    Security cameras on every gate, paddock, vehicle parking, entrances to house, barn and outbuildings, and water troughs.
    Security system should allow YOUR SECURE Internet access to the cameras from remote computer.
    Motion sensor lights at entrances to gates, paddocks, home, barns, outbuildings, vehicle parking
    NEVER leave halters on turned out horses!
    Never leave halters, lead ropes, tack hung on fences or laying about.
    Keep tack rooms, feed rooms, trailers, vehicles, and homes locked at all times.
    Mark all tack with the same identifying info and take pics, upload to flash drive.
    Take 360 pics of all horses, vehicles, upload to flash drive.
    When leaving the property, assign horses to paddock or pasture away from or out of sight of the road.
    Chip your horses and Register the danged chip!
    Hitch lock on trailer, locked down. Disconnect battery and replace cover properly.
    Cultivate good neighbors.
    Change up your daily routine on unscheduled basis.
    Do not text, tweet, nor face your every move away from your property. Your "friends" are usually your worst enemies.
    NEVER discuss your security system with ANYONE! EVER!
    If your horses turn up missing call 911 and don't touch anything, don't go in your house or barn. Stay in your vehicle outside your gate till LE arrives. They will need to check your property for evidence and intruders and make sure it is safe before you enter.
    The info from your cameras may be what they need to get your horses/trailer/tack back to you.
    I may sound like a lunatic, but I'd do ANYthing (and have ) to keep my animals safely in my keeping. YMMV
    Last edited by HorsesRMyTherapy; Jun. 2, 2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Add info
    HRMT

3 members found this post helpful.

You can only do so much -

Locked gates
    Security cameras
    Motion security lights
    Alarms
    Good fencing with no-climb landscape
    Locks on doors - double lock with dead bolts and inside locks
    Big dogs
    And guns

Have law enforcement in the family
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesRMyTherapy View Post
    Strong perimeter property fencing. Add Solar electric, 3 strands, to solid fencing.
    Install gates with upper hinge flanges pointing down; lower hinge flanges pointing up, so that gate cannot be removed.
    Dirt or gravel in and out of gate drives so you can see if anyone has been through there besides you. Read the drive every time you pass through.
    Security cameras on every gate, paddock, vehicle parking, entrances to house, barn and outbuildings, and water troughs.
    Security system should allow YOUR SECURE Internet access to the cameras from remote computer.
    Motion sensor lights at entrances to gates, paddocks, home, barns, outbuildings, vehicle parking
    Mark all tack with the same identifying info and take pics, upload to flash drive.
    When leaving the property, assign horses to paddock or pasture away from or out of sight of the road.
    Hitch lock on trailer, locked down. Disconnect battery and replace cover properly.
    Do not text, tweet, nor face your every move away from your property. Your "friends" are usually your worst enemies.
    If your horses turn up missing call 911 and don't touch anything, don't go in your house or barn. Stay in your vehicle outside your gate till LE arrives. They will need to check your property for evidence and intruders and make sure it is safe before you enter.
    The info from your cameras may be what they need to get your horses/trailer/tack back to you.
    I may sound like a lunatic, but I'd do ANYthing (and have ) to keep my animals safely in my keeping. YMMV
    Is there a particular security system you recommend? I have thought of this...have the gates, dog, and a few other safeguards in place, plus the added bonus of really watchful good neighbors and the horses not being visible from the road, but still have thought about the security system.

It isn't thieves in the night that make me worry, it's weird situational stuff that you read and hear about that makes me paranoid.

Someone is mad at you (trainer, BO, boarder, whatever) & just walks off with your horse or sells it. The things nightmares are made of.

I have considered a freeze brand with my name and phone...

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    It isn't thieves in the night that make me worry, it's weird situational stuff that you read and hear about that makes me paranoid.

Someone is mad at you (trainer, BO, boarder, whatever) & just walks off with your horse or sells it. The things nightmares are made of.

I have considered a freeze brand with my name and phone...
    Microchips are another thing, but again, not foolproof.

Does it piss anyone else off that so many law-abiding citizens even have to be having this conversation, that there are so many protections for scumbags that want to rob us that we have so many bases to consider covering???

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Microchips are another thing, but again, not foolproof.

Does it piss anyone else off that so many law-abiding citizens even have to be having this conversation, that there are so many protections for scumbags that want to rob us that we have so many bases to consider covering???
    All of my animals have chips, but like you say, they aren't fool proof & might not even help in certain situations. ugh.

Locks, dogs, and guns.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

Oh, and two of our animals are microchipped. The thieves will have to guess which two.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

Just curious, do you folks Micro Chip your horses?
    I think Micro chipping is a great thing, Wondering if that is something that is becoming more common for horses.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Default Most things are pretty obvious

But I'll add this. Back in the 90's, I worked for a store that sold high end biker gear, western boots, adult novelties and had a head shop in the back. It was an edgy neighborhood and Every Other Store and the gas station in the strip mall, got robbed on a semi regular basis. We didn't. Why? The owner hired ex-cons (got some kind of tax break) the kind of guys that if you saw after dark, you'd hold your purse tighter and cross the street from. There were posters on the wall at the door saying "Weapons on premises, Ours, not Yours". Half the guys that worked there were such bad boys, I'm pretty sure the locals all knew who they were and it kept them out of our store. The owner looked like a refugee from ZZ Top and had a carry permit, and carried the gun so it was visible. Never bothered to squash any rumors that they were a bunch of wild eyed crazies who were just waiting on a chance to shoot someone for trying to rob them. No one ever even tried.
    A couple of the people on our street regularly have "target practice" on Sunday afternoons, very loud and often enough that people around know who has guns. My husband regularly tells people I'm a crack shot. Since usually, it seems in this business, thieves are often people we know, enough people know that if I can kill a cute little woodland creature before breakfast, that pissing me off is a Really Bad Idea. Yes, it's just stuff, and taking someone's life for theft is against my moral code. I'd never shoot anyone unless I felt physically threatened. But, the idea that I might would be a deterrent. Big, mean looking dogs work, but only if they will actually protect something, not wag their tail and drool, most people don't have a true protection dog, too many chances for things to go wrong.

Most local law enforcement is usually happy to do drive bys if you tell them you'll be out of town, or if you've noticed suspicious activity or just feel hinky. Just make sure the local police actually are the good guys first.

All mine are chipped now and I think its a little piece of mind that if your horse goes missing/is stolen, if it is found again it can be definitively identified.

Some of mine are black or bay or grey with NO distinguishing white markings and to the not-particularly-horsey (ie LE) I'm sure one brown/black horse looks much like another.

(NB Im am in England and it became regulation to have a chip implanted when registering horses for their passports a little while ago, so ALL horses under a certain age should have one now).
    (

Also Check you state, provincial laws.
    I learned after I had my horse stolen from someone I knew out of spite and sent to a local cull buyer then sent to Canada... That the best I could do is to take the person to Sm. Claims unless I could prove the horse was worth more than X amount then I could take it to civil court.

The law in my state had not been modified in a looong time as it still states " The theft of a horse that is the property of a police, fire department or any other civil department shall carry a 50$ fine and 2 years in prison..."
    I think that if the laws were to be more like Fla where it is still on the books where it is still a public hanging offence ( though I doubt they use it any more) there would be a lot less horse theft. Though I would love to see it here..

I think it is up to all of us to see that the laws change form a civil matter to a criminal matter where anyone no matter who they are if they are found with a horse they do not own and are found guilty in a court of law. They spend time in prison, pay hefty fines, restiton(sp) to the owner ect.
    Friend of bar .ka

Well, so many crimes are those of opportunity - I was horrified yet delighted to see some friends of ours had just flopped their saddles over the truck side rail and gone off to BBQ, and came back to find no problems whatsoever - but at a regular horseshow don't ever leave anything out! I've read more stories on here about people dropping monogrammed coolers on the way back from the wash stall at high end shows and the next thing you know somebody zips by on a gator, grabs it up and it never does go to the lost and found.

I'd change the order in the list a bit, and perhaps touch bases with local law enforcement regarding what they think is the most important, but it's pretty comprehensive. PHOTOGRAPHS and chipping. Can't say it enough.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

In addition to the other suggestions, really nosy neighbors. Yes, I have several. We all watch out for each other. My dogs keep an eye on my next door neighbor's barn, since it's closer to our house than his.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    You can only do so much -

Locked gates
    Security cameras
    Motion security lights
    Alarms
    Good fencing with no-climb landscape
    Locks on doors - double lock with dead bolts and inside locks
    Big dogs
    And guns

Have law enforcement in the family
    My only caveat with the above is locked gates. Don't forget that should you need fire/medical/law assistance, that locked gate will cost some extra time. I'm all for perimeter fence and gates, but a main access gate that has giant chains and padlocks as suggested by another poster is really going to piss off the FD. You can get an electric gate with a code, and then make sure the local dispatch has the code.

Motion lights and dusk-to-dawn lights are tha bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    In addition to the other suggestions, really nosy neighbors. Yes, I have several. We all watch out for each other. My dogs keep an eye on my next door neighbor's barn, since it's closer to our house than his.
    This right here is actually YOUR BEST BET! As LE, I can't tell you how many times we've had Nosy Annie in the neighborhoods who have spotted crime/potential crime before a victim is even aware of it.

Honestly, just be vigilant. See someone you don't recognize, do something. Whether that's contacting the person to see if they are lost to calling 9-1-1. BE INVOLVED. Please don't be the person who later says "oh yeah I saw that strange car pulling into the neighbor's driveway, looked pretty sketchy... I wish I had looked closer, sorry you got burgled."

ETA: Branding/Tattooing is an excellent way to identify horses, but not always practical. Good pictures from both sides are helpful, closeups of any markings; take the time to take a couple GOOD pictures international passport style. You can also mark tack with name plates, leather stamping, and branding. I got DH some mini brands that match his registered brand, and while they are for his tack braiding business...I'm using it on my tack as well. With one of them being 3/4'', it would be tasteful and unobtrusive anywhere on a bridle or saddle, but so unique as to identify tack easily. I have heard of chipping tack.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

YOU forgot the mine field, moat with alligators, 24 armed guards and a pack of killer chihuahuas...

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesRMyTherapy View Post
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg