The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trainers/instructors chime in. Best gift from a student?

My trainer rocks. I wanna get her something other than the ridiculously low rates she charges. Gift ideas? I can't spend a lot but would like it to be something she can use and more thoughtful than money. She just found out she's expecting but I wanted to steer clear of that bc what if something didn't work out ya know?

Good for you for wanting to thank your awesome trainer.

I feel like a philistine for what I am about to type.

Despite the fact that I just snarfed down a couple delicious homemade s'mores brought to me by one of my wonderful lesson students, money is the best. Especially if she's the type that doesn't charge a lot and is trying to keep riding lessons as affordable as possible for her customers, even at her own expense. I mean you might not think it's that thoughtful, but she may have her eye on something she'd really like to get, maybe for a while, and your gift might let her buy it.

BTW I certainly have appreciated so many lovely, interesting, thoughtful, creative, and gracious gifts from customers over the years. But your question was which is the best gift, and that's my honest answer.

3 members found this post helpful.

How about just tipping her? Like over paying lessons ten bucks? Or is that weird?

2 members found this post helpful.

I have to agree with above. I am pretty delighted to get cash (kinda like a 'thank you for being awesome' tip?).

I also love food (but then I am a piglet who doesn't plan ahead well). Along those lines, I really appreciate the parents who do coffee runs, too.

Very, very occasionally I've had some super observant, thoughtful parents who remembered one exact item I needed but hadn't got around to buying yet, and they bought that as a present, which was really helpful (saved me the purchase cost AND a trip to the tackshop!).

I also love the Thank You cards I get. Easy to tuck cash or vouchers into those, too .

A gift certificate to a tack shop is probably one of the nicer gifts I have received from my students. Although money was also good. But the gift certificate was nice.

1 members found this post helpful.

I like giving Visa check cards instead of cash. They seem a bit more formal in my mind.
    Either way, I'm sure whatever you come up with will be very appreciated!!

Instead of overpaying for a few lessons (which makes it feel like you're saying she doesn't charge enough, rather than saying a special thank you), I'd collect up that extra ten bucks for a few lessons worth and give it as one sum amount.

I have a very generous trainer and will occasionally pick up things that are needed for the horse she lets me ride, like a lightweight turnout sheet, lead ropes, hoof dressing, new stirrups (some of the things over the last two plus years). She lets me use him whenever I can if he's not already reserved so I really appreciate the saddle time and opportunity. I've also considered paying for a shoeing (he's got some high maintenance feet) as a special thanks.

As for the tack shops, maybe there's a shop she uses more often than the others? If I were to get a gift card for a tack shop for my trainer, I'd either go to the small nearby place where I know she buys her grain, or to the nicer place in the city where I know she gets special pricing for being a trainer. That way I know she's getting either something she will definitely use/need, or a better deal.

On the other hand, I've never had her refuse a six pack of her favorite beer either
    Last edited by bits619; Jun. 2, 2013 at 02:04 PM.

I'd buy her a gift card for a nice supermarket type shop. That way, she can use it on what she likes. Baked goodies never go wrong, either!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

All great ideas.

A thought, if you do a tack shop gift certificate: If within your means, try to make it generous enough that, you know, she can actually buy all or a significant part of something, without having to spend any/much of her own money to enjoy your gift.

Before I moved here, my great lesson kids used to give me $10 gift certificates to Dover Saddlery. Well, all you can get there for $10 is about 3 double end snaps. I can't fault them, because these suburban parents were also trying to get gifts for teachers, nannies, other coaches, piano teachers, dog walkers, the list goes on, there's only so much they could possibly do.

But I was always taught that a gift certificate should be big enough that the recipient shouldn't have to spend money to enjoy it.

Happy ending: If you have ten lesson kids each give you $10 certificates, plus one or two heavy hitters who throw in a big one, you can lump them all together and......now we're talkin'!

Thanks for the input. I'm going with a "thoughtful" money holder card that I can personalize a message for her along with some cash. The closest tack store is over an hour from us and I think she may have every piece of tack imaginable.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2shoes View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm going with a "thoughtful" money holder card that I can personalize a message for her along with some cash. The closest tack store is over an hour from us and I think she may have every piece of tack imaginable.
    an EZ pass with money on it!! if she's like the rest of us we travel a lot and those tolls really add up!