The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Okay....Peafowl???? WTF!

Seriously, weird crap just happens to me....I have no idea why. I just walked out to shut up the chickens at dusk and what do I see in the electric netting paddock strutting around with my broilers but two peafowl???? I have no idea where they came from and how they got here. They were strutting around, obviously not wild but a bit shy as I could not get too close.

I shut the broilers in their shelter for the night and left they peacocks alone. I hope they leave and go away. I do NOT like the noise they make and do not want them to move in.

Do they go feral and just wander off like that? I **think** a place about a mile or so down the road from me may have some peacocks so that might be where they came from.

Does anyone know anything of their habits?

They can be incredibly stupid. A friend had a BEAUTIFUL Pied Pea Cock she was hoping to get bred to her Peahens for eggs and Pied Chicks to sell. Had hatched and raised him from a chick to almost 2yrs old. One day for no reason, he lifted off and flew SMACK into the side of the barn, killing himself! She was very upset to see that happen, but resigned. Said it is just the nature of Pea Fowl to do stupid things, total "bird brains". No eggs or chicks that year.

I know they are good, free fliers in their native setting, move thru the jungle easily. Lots of folks talk of suddenly seeing Pea Fowl in their yard or farm, when no one around has them. And like yourself, they are fun to look at, but the noise is really bad, so few want them to linger in the area!

Usually they will keep going if you don't try to catch them, though they might stay a few days to eat with your birds, get drinks. You might post an ad about finding them at the feed store, local paper, see if you get any calls from people on them.

2 members found this post helpful.

Ok, hoping that they leave on their own then. I can also call the folks down the road and see if they are missing a few. So, they can just "drop in" like that. I thought I was hallucinating when I first walked out and saw them. It was a long day in the heat!

Thanks!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I promise I didn't put them in there...but I have 5 more if you want them!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

6 members found this post helpful.

with Alfonso Spagoni, the toreador. NOT in a ticky tacky box!

Am I the only one who LOVES their "MOWMOWMOW"?

I would welcome them, and never give them back!

CFF

I have heard that they, like guineas, often fly far afield. I guess in some California neighborhoods a lot of wealthy ppl keep them as ornaments & they can be a nuisance.

Imagine opening your suburban door & finding them on your porch! They males look so big & they like to roost. It would be unsettling to have one above you as a surprise.

Yes they roam about a bit

You're in Suffolk, right? Last month 2 peahens and a peacock were stolen from an older woman at King's Fork Road. Maybe the thief was dumping them at your place.

Well, they are gone this morning. I wanted to get all around the farm before I reported them gone. I was either hallucinating last night or they flew off. I suspect the latter as I was fairly lucid at the time. ;-)

Why in the world would someone steal peafowl I wonder? I could understand chickens or something useful unless they were something rare and valuable. Kings Fork road is about 20 minutes drive from here.

I'll keep an eye out for them. If they've gone feral they may be wandering around and they might have come into feed on my broiler's mash last night. I have a range feeder out for them so that might be what brought them in.

1 members found this post helpful.

Price of Pea Fowl tends to run higher, $50 for young blues, on up to $200-300 for those Pied ones. And that is just the ones on Craigslist, so if they were "superior" for winning shows, throwing color in white or Pied chicks, prices could be more.

So I can see why they might be stolen if thief could just lift the bird from the bird pen and go with it, certainly not hard to sell to another person that way. Not hard money, reselling them. Any leg tags are easily dispatched with wire cutters. Not my idea of being worth stealing, but some folks will steal anything not tied down.

Let us know if they come back visiting, sure are a more exotic sighting than orioles or wild Turkeys!

Ours are inbred and stupid. I don't like them, but at least the awful racket they make desensitizes the horses: Mwah wah wah. Mwah!
    You are what you dare.

We get one in the shelter as a stray every now and then. Very easy to rehome, apparently florists pay good money for the feathers?

Total side note, but my only peakers story.

I used to board many many moons ago at a facility called...wait for it...Peacock Hill. And guess what they had gazillions of running around the facility? Well, during the rainy season, I used to hand walk my previous MFT inside the main barn which, coincidentally, was where the peacocks liked to roost to get out of the rain. I can't tell you how many birds lost their balance and their tail feathers from my guy trying to grab them off the railings as we walked by. He also like to chase them in turn out. :-)

He didn't dig the birds so much, but he was great with sorting cattle. What can I say? He just liked to chase things. Miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    I promise I didn't put them in there...but I have 5 more if you want them!
    Yup, I'm crazy. Where are you located?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

While peacocks don't technically mate for life, some do become seriously attached to each other.

Back in NY, there were some folks raising peacocks & when the favorite hen of one male died, he took off. We used to see him perching on - of all places - telephone wires throughout the neighborhood. Very odd to see, what with that long tail hanging down & all.

Sounds like somebody downloaded some peahens into your flock.

Treat them as a broiler. When they are ready for the oven, then they are.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

My parents have a nest with 9 eggs in their yard if anyone is interested... It may be illegal to harvest them. I know the peafowl are protected in their city, but not sure about the eggs.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Well one of them came back today. She's now in with my broilers. I'll link to a picture I got. That is my broiler pen behind her with the mesh netting along my fence and she's trying to get in..thus the overgrown weeds...I can't mow in there until they are out..which is very soon. Processing in batches the rest of this week.

Anyway, she's hungry and eating their feed. Now is hanging out in the shade. I don't know what happened to the other one. Sorry for the facebook link but my phone is not interfacing right with my computer so having trouble uploading. New phone...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...=photo_comment

I sure have no idea where they are coming from or hiding out. I have only seen this one hen.

That is a big pea hen.

I thought "ginnie" hens didn't fly as much as run around on the ground, trespass on other neighbor's, be watch dogs, and make lots of noise. They do fly up into the trees at night. They don't always stay home, but they do at night.

I taught my arab how to herd with "ginnie" hens. My gal pal has them.

DB that is one cute pea hen. She is styling down the fence.