The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eastern Iowa Carriage Classic

Volunteered for the Carriage Classic that took place at Catalpa Corner outside of Iowa City. Had a great time, and who should I meet but another COTHer! I'm riding in the back of a golf cart with two other women and one of them starts talking about a Hackney pony she was fostering and starting to long-line. I'm listening and thinking - I know this story! It was Hungarian Hippo. She's I'm an eventer and I'm a hunter jumper, and we both had a blast watching the carriages go. And now I know what VSE stands for! I'm thinking this sport is on my horizon.
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

2 members found this post helpful.

How cool!.. and thanks for volunteering- that was super nice and a great way to get ringside seats to watch and learn!

GrayCatFarm is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

I scribed for one of the judges. I learned alot! The more volunteer experience you can cite, the more responsibility you get. I'm one of two go-to jump judges for water obstacles at the event venue now. You meet many nice people. This was the first time a carriage event had been run at the venue, and it was very nice to see the number of elderly/retired farmers who stopped by to watch.
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

Not there, but THANKS FOR VOLUNTEERING!

Glad to hear you are also having a real good time!! We are getting back into competing, and we couldn't have our fun without all the wonderful Volunteers who let us play.

During our time off, we put in our hours volunteering too. Locally we get "perks", they feed us WELL, bring drinks often, give me a RADIO to listen to all the happening stuff at my various job locations. Husband was announcer, so he got TWO Radios, choices of music to play, and was able commentate as competitors went, plus to tell all his jokes to the folks within hearing of the loudspeakers. Daughter ran scores, delivered drinks, food, Judged Hazards, had quite a variety of jobs. There is just no end of skills you develop Volunteering.

I had a blast. Mainly served as the ring steward and cone-picker-upper. And learned alot--picked the brains of the judges and competitors when we had standing-around time. Nearly every competitor made a point of thanking us volunteers, which means a lot. I hope this becomes an annual event, will gladly come out for the next one.
    And maybe just maybe will bring Scarlett O'Hairy. Bought a bit for her in the tack shop that was at the show, so now I have no excuse. LOL

1 members found this post helpful.