The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is it possible for a soft tissue injury to be totally sound?

The vet will be visiting mid-next week, but until then I have nothing to do but worry. How likely is it, or even possible, that a decidely swollen inside lower front leg is a soft tissue if the horse is sound and does not seem to palpate? (It's hard to tell on palpation- it's the exact area I squeeze his leg to pick his feet up) Seems a little warm, but not hot, and there is an accompanying minor scrape that I initially attributed the swelling to several days ago...

He's sound in hand, under tack, tight circles, etc.
    The best is yet to come

The vet will be able to tell you a lot more than any of us people of the interwebs, but FWIW, I was taught to palpate the leg with it flexed. As I understand it, this is for 3 reasons:
    1) The slack it creates in the tendons makes it easier to feel deeper structures
    2) Palpations of weighted legs often create resentment even w/o injury (false positives)
    3) You don't run into the pick up foot cue misunderstanding you mention

Maybe you're already doing it that way but are getting a reaction that you don't think is a pain response?

In any case, sounds like your intuition is that it's not a soft tissue injury. IME, some of them can be very subtle w.r.t. gait abnormality and palpation (esp. the s-word which I shall not utter so as not to alarm anyone unduly before the evidence is in), so having the vet out is a conservative next step. Hopefully it's just a bruise from interference and it will resolve completely to your satisfaction before you generate a vet bill!

Good luck and don't fret too much until the vet comes!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you dayglowmaple! I have been palpating with weight on the leg, so I will try without tomorrow

I would say at this point I'm wishfully thinking it can still be attributed to the scrape! This same horse injured an s-word in a different leg 5 years ago and thinking about doing it again has me very depressed. Part of the reason I'm curious is the last time it presented very differently than what I have now. It was also not a terrible rupture back then.
    The best is yet to come

Well my guy decided to buck around in the pasture and actually kick our round bale holder with his back leg. Hit right above fetlock. Just a little scrap but was swollen and didn't seem painfully. His swelling was up that back tendon and vet was worried he may have broke his splint bone back there. Luckily he did not and vet wrapped leg with furazone and DMSO. Took off wrap next day then polo wrapped both back legs for 4 days and 3 days of bute. Swelling is about gone and he seems fine. Hopefully your guy will be just as lucky.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

My horse tore his check ligament twice and was totally sound both times

1 members found this post helpful.

When my mare Sadie injured her deep digital flexor tendon it presented with swelling and no noticeable lameness (I didn't ride after seeing the swelling, I just called the vet because I had a bad feeling about it). She does also tend to swell up any time she gets a scrape on her lower legs, but that time there was no scrape, and it just seemed different to me, so I wanted an ultrasound done.

I wish I could quantify what made the tendon injury swelling "different", but mostly it was just a feeling, sorry. Hopefully your horse's swelling is just scrape related, and not serious.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

yup.
    welcome to my nightmare.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Yes. Including the s-word.

And if there is a bilateral injury.

I'm slow today... s-word?

Asp swells if she gets even a tiny scrape. I find if it's nothing major, cold hosing brings it down pretty quickly.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Concetta View Post
    My horse tore his check ligament twice and was totally sound both times
    This.
    Injury occurred three times, twice one leg, once the other leg. One time each leg only symptom was the puffiness, not lame at all. He was only slightly lame the first time.

s-word = suspensory

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer13 View Post
    s-word = suspensory
    Thank you! I'm jet lagged and my brain isn't quite working properly!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

My mare tore her suspensory and was totally sound.

Another person here with a suspensory injury in my former mare - totally sound. No swelling, either. Luckily, it was a pretty mild injury and two months of box rest healed her 100%.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Quote Originally Posted by eventer_mi View Post
    Another person here with a suspensory injury in my former mare - totally sound. No swelling, either. Luckily, it was a pretty mild injury and two months of box rest healed her 100%.

Whew! Lucky, lucky, congratulations. I like hearing stories like that.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/