The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default One could go crazy (nutrition experts)

I think I am - no, I AM - going crazy trying to figure what to feed my horse.

To make a long story short, I have an 8 y/o OTTB that's very athletic, a bit high strung, and has trouble putting on weight. She's currently on Blue Seal Grow (formerly Demand), which I've just learned is 16% protein, 6% fat and 12% fiber, not sure about the NSC. She also gets Blue Seal hay stretcher which I read (but do I believe it?) is very high in NSC. The thing about this mare is that she looks athletic and fit, but increasing her current feed hasn't helped her put on weight.

I am thinking of switching her to Blue Seal Sentinel Performance, which is 12% protein, 12% fat & 20% fiber. It's low on NSC and (according to their website) recommended for rescues as well as performance horses. Any suggestions? Words of caution?

UPDATED 6/26: Less than a month later, on the Sentinel Performance, Accel supplement & more grass, this horse is starting to look quite fat (eventers would be shocked, lol) and is also mellower
    Last edited by TemJeito; Jun. 26, 2013 at 05:51 AM.

The Sentinel Performance is a good high fat, low NSC feed. My issue is because it is extruded, the sheer volume of food that the horse has to eat in order to ingest the needed number of pounds is overwhelming for some horses. That said, I know a number of TBs that have done very well on that feed.

My TB that needed to add some weight is on Blue Seal Carb Guard to which I add Canola oil. He has put on weight and leveled out in energy. Just my 2 cents, not a nutrition guru. Good luck, I feel your pain of trying to navigate nutrition!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, Tux! That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I thought about the Carb Guard but may try the Performance first b/c there are already a couple of horses at the barn on it. I want to keep it easy for the BO b/c she has gone above and beyond for me and my mare. I'm also using Cool Calories.

I wish this mare and I could trade metabolisms

Would the BO/BM allow you just to provide some other grain for then to feed to this special needs horsie? If so, that would allow you to stay where you are, but have some flexibility in what to feed.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

The BS Performance LS is a great feed especially for horses that need to gain weight - high fat and low NSCs. My old guy (put down at age 31 last fall) was on it - he look amazing even at that age. It makes a great mash - I soak all my feed and my old guy would slurp it right down. It has extruded nuggets so you have to remember to feed by weight and not volume - the large amount can be overwhelming to some horses but most don't care - they just think they're greeting spoiled .

The BS Hay Stretcher is about 17% NSCs - I prefer feed no higher than that as its borderline too high for my liking. I just pulled my mare off of it and put her on Triple Crown Timothy Balance cubes - very low NSCs as its designed for horses with metabolic issues.

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/forag...quinenutrition

i would definitely try the Performance LS - a lot of horses do great on it .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

How many pounds of HAY does this mare eat? Good quality grass hay is the foundation of any diet. Hay is what she really needs to develop a good base of hindgut fermentation for weight gain. Some T.B.s are just to "busy" to eat enough roughage, and others are so picky that once its been on the floor of the stall longer than an hour they consider it to be bedding. I have used slow feed hay nets to keep hay in front of picky T.B.s. it's not on the ground, so it stays in the "food" category.

This girl should be getting as much hay as she will eat in 24 hours.. Start there and ad the other stuff. 30 pounds per day is not out of the question.

4 members found this post helpful.

Concur with arlosmine.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I should have mentioned that she gets all the hay she wants and eats it all day except when she's out on grass She's not a picky eater at all. I've had this mare for 3 years, and the one time I got her fat (at a different barn, where she got less hay) was on Purina Healthy Edge and Cocosoya Oil. I'm trying to work with what my current barn has.

Interestingly, when I lived in Europe and Brazil, the horses got very little hay or no hay at all. They were all fat! A lot of Americans don't realize that a hay-based diet is a North American thing. I wonder if other countries have better compound feeds. It's so confusing

I'm going to try to take pictures today.

Also this mare has been treated twice for ulcers with omeprazole. Last month I started her on Succeed despite reading conflicting stories as to whether it makes a difference. It has made no difference at all in her weight.

Could she have ulcers now? If so, it might make sense to try another course of omeprazole, then migrate to Succeed after 30 days.

I've been in the same boat with Blue Seal. I feed Sentinel Lifetime and Dynasty. It does have high fat and low NSC. I've emailed Blue Seal and they have been great about letting me know what their sugar levels are! The Dynasty has digestive enzymes in it.

Putting weight back on takes MONTHS, unfortunately. You could add rice bran (which Blue Seal doesn't carry) or rice bran oil?

Good luck!

Also out of curiosity what sort of omeprazole did you treat with? I've treated multiple times with generic omeprazole and am thinking that if I am back in the same boat again I'm just going to try a full tube of Ulcer gard for 4-5 days to see if it makes more of a difference. They say its just the same, buuuut as I've treated my horse several times I'm beginning to wonder....

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    I should have mentioned that she gets all the hay she wants and eats it all day except when she's out on grass She's not a picky eater at all. I've had this mare for 3 years, and the one time I got her fat (at a different barn, where she got less hay) was on Purina Healthy Edge and Cocosoya Oil. I'm trying to work with what my current barn has.

Interestingly, when I lived in Europe and Brazil, the horses got very little hay or no hay at all. They were all fat! A lot of Americans don't realize that a hay-based diet is a North American thing. I wonder if other countries have better compound feeds. It's so confusing

I'm going to try to take pictures today.
    Here is the UK, a hay based diet is pretty standard.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

This is not about ulcers. I was only looking for advice on grains, and I used a bit of hyperbole (and humor, I thought) in the first post.

kookikat, I generalized. Sorry. I thought you used mostly haylage and hay products like cubes in the UK, rather than baled hay as we do here. But, in any event, my horse gets hay all day long. That's not the issue.

jillanddaniel, I treated with Gastrogard once and with generic once. If anything, I had better results with the generic. I'm sure it's a total coincidence, due to other factors.

This is not a horse in distress. The vets tell me she is fine and that, just like humans, some horses are easier keepers than others. I want a fat horse b/c we seem to like our humans skinny and our horses fat

Threads really do take on a life of their own, don't they ?

The only reason I asked about ulcers is that until I got my mare's ulcers under control, I struggled to keep weight on her. Heading into this summer I've reduced her feed so she doesn't get jiggly.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post

kookicat, I generalized. Sorry. I thought you used mostly haylage and hay products like cubes in the UK, rather than baled hay as we do here. But, in any event, my horse gets hay all day long. That's not the issue.
    Ah... sorry, I wasn't getting at you in any way. Just thought I'd share since you'd brought the topic up.

My lot get mostly hay (and grass) with hard feed as needed. I rather wish they didn't get as much hay because I've just spent best part of the afternoon re-stacking hay bales!

One thing my TBs get is oil. I find it really works to put weight on them without adding fizz or more bulk to their food. I just use plain sunflower oil, but there's various products out there. The horse branded ones tend to be more expensive, and I'm from Yorkshire... I'm frugal!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

2 members found this post helpful.

No way to feed rice bran product? My horse doesn't need to get any hotter, so I added in Natural Glo RB pellets (it's fortified and stabilized) and he gained the needed weight and his coat is even shinier.

-- I checks their website since no one feeds BS around here (I'm west coast), they don't seems to have an RB product. Nevermind that idea!