The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Kissing Spines Surgery - Interspinous Ligament Desmotomy

Have any of you guys had the new standing surgery done?

A friend of mine is considering this for her horse. Here are some links about the new surgery which, from what I understand, has been done in the UK for a while.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/296...ines-evaluated

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22731872

http://offtrackthoroughbreds.com/201...pe-for-a-cure/

Also, is Dr. Cable the only vet in the US doing the surgery?

TIA!
    Last edited by Judysmom; Jun. 1, 2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: more info for title

Quote Originally Posted by Judysmom View Post
    Have any of you guys had the new standing surgery done?

A friend of mine is considering this for her horse. Here are some links about the new surgery which, from what I understand, has been done in the UK for a while.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/296...ines-evaluated

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22731872

http://offtrackthoroughbreds.com/201...pe-for-a-cure/

Also, is Dr. Cable the only vet in the US doing the surgery?

TIA!
    If you do a search, there are many threads on this procedure listed, with firsthand accounts from people who have had it performed.
    Good luck to your friend and her horse.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

I did do a search and I found lots of posts on the traditional surgery, and one person who had the new procedure.

I was wondering if anyone has had the interspinous ligament desmotomy done on their horse and if Dr. Cable is the only Vet doing it in the US. I told my friend I would do some reconnaissance on COTH. Thanks.

they are doing it at the University of Minn. Don't know the vet's name.
    PKN

I believe Dr. Caron (sp?) performed this surgery at Michigan State University in the fall of 2012. Not sure if he has done others since. My barn owner knows the horse and said it was successful.

Horse at the barn I am currently boarded at just had it done in Ocala, not sure with who. Horse has come back so much better than before, attitude, movement, and even muscle in the short time after it was done. I could see if she would like to talk to you about it, if you want to PM me.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks guys!!! Good to hear the positive feedback - I relayed that to my friend. I know that the surgery is new enough that there probably isn't going to be any feed back in the US on long term results.

I don't know what she's going to do yet, but I will update this thread if there is any news

I know someone here in Vermont who had this surgery performed on 2 horses at Tufts.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    I know someone here in Vermont who had this surgery performed on 2 horses at Tufts.
    I'd love to hear updates about how this went, what the recovery was like etc. We have a candidate for it here--a spectacularly beautiful and well-bred 9 year old Paint mare who as things stand is retired, unrideable. I would LOVE to be able to give this client hope for a return to work for her--and Tufts is within striking distance for us.

Would love to hear more!

Hi I had my thoroughbred done at Ocala at peterson and smith, with the surgery preformed by Dr.Lynch. Check out my thread, it shows everything from him getting diagnosed, to surgery, to now. Keep in mind, my thoroughbred was, " the worst," any vet has seen.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...kissing-spines!

2 members found this post helpful.

My horse was at Tuft's recently and I asked the vet who saw her about this surgery (my horse does not have KS but I had recently read the article on Off Track Thoroughbreds) and she said they had done several of those surgeries at Tuft's. They had all been too recent to tell if they were going to work long-term but so far, the results were positive.

Hi there! I'm working on an article on this new surgery for the magazine. Would you be willing to use your horse as an example for the piece? Thanks so much!

Default Surgery Done

Hi all, My horse (8 year old Saddlebred) just had the new surgery done mid August. Here's some info on it...Dr. Jose Garcia-Lopez from Tuft's did the surgery on my guy. Day 1 they go in for an exam and new xrays. Day 2 surgery. Day 3 go home. There were some bandage changes I had to do and antibiotics for the first week or so. Rehab consists of Week 1-4 handwalking 2x a day starting at 20 mins and increasing 5 mins per min. Week 5-8 lunging at the trot starting at 10 mins a day and increasing at 5 mins a week. At week 8 he will be rexrayed and may need more time or gets the ok to ride. In this case this horse drives so I will jog him for about two weeks before beginning any riding. The cost can range from $1,800-$2,200 (at the hospital) if you don't have may incisions done (mine needed 5). That is the info I was looking for so I hop that helps!

4 members found this post helpful.

Best of luck with your horse, Melissa! It sounds really positive overall.

I asked my vet/surgeon for his opinion about this procedure. He shared his concern that when you cut a ligament you create an instability. If you cause an instability in the spine, the relief from the desmotomy may come with a price of more back issues later down the road. Of course, even if there are risks, the benefits of the surgery may make it worth trying. Especially if you have a horse in pain and have already tried less invasive treatments like chiro, acupuncture, injections and shockwave.

I wish we could hear from people who own horses who had the procedure done several years ago. Even better if the vets performing the procedure could keep follow up records.

Quote Originally Posted by Helicon View Post
    I asked my vet/surgeon for his opinion about this procedure. He shared his concern that when you cut a ligament you create an instability. If you cause an instability in the spine, the relief from the desmotomy may come with a price of more back issues later down the road. Of course, even if there are risks, the benefits of the surgery may make it worth trying. Especially if you have a horse in pain and have already tried less invasive treatments like chiro, acupuncture, injections and shockwave.

I wish we could hear from people who own horses who had the procedure done several years ago. Even better if the vets performing the procedure could keep follow up records.
    I would like to know some long term outcomes as well. My horse is scheduled for the traditional procedure later this year... He has a couple of areas of overlap and the surgeon doesn't think an ISLD will make enough space. I was very interested in it though, as it is supposed to be much less invasive.

Anyone have any updates on this procedure and long term results? Dr. Caron at MSU is pushing me towards the surgery, but I'm interested in knowing what happens down the road. He has not done this surgery (on live horses) since the horse in 2012 and he said that horse was sold so we don't have access to long term results there.

I had the surgery done on my mare at Unionville two weeks ago. I will post as I know more, but so far my mare is much more comfortable than before the surgery. She is no longer painful in the back upon palpation and happily does her carrot/back stretches (she would pin her ears and kick out pre-surgery). The surgeon gave my mare about a 60% chance of going back into full work. My mare can start lunging this week and if things go well I can begin riding her in a few weeks.

Default Results

Just wanted to add an update as my horse is back in full dressage work, including sitting trot, counter canter and flying changes. I have not tried to jump her yet.

Her movement improved dramatically as did her ability to use her back. Previously my mare had tildren, shockwave and mesotherapy; none of these treatments compared to the results I observed after the surgery.

The surgery cost me $1800, a pittance compared to all the money I spent on medical treatments. I would say the medical treatments lessened the pain my mare had in her back; she improved, but she always carried some tension through her back and neck. After the surgery I think the mare is completely pain free, I no longer feel any tension through her back or neck.

Hope this review can help others confronting similar medical issues with their horses.