The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    You will never get beyond training level till you learn to drive on the "right" side of the road. Well, you might call what you're doing "First Level", but no one will believe you.
    The video clips I saw were not training level. They were not any level of dressage. Did I miss something?

Now that we understand Kande's set of motives, there's really no reason to give her suggestions etc. I also don't think we should have any malice toward her. She has her own set of issues and goals and these are markedly different from those who typically post on bb's. it's a bit annoying but we can also block her posts if they get into the way of the typical give and take of the learning process.

4 members found this post helpful.

^^^^. Not sure what the game is.... But sounds like you've had some serious feedback in the past about your riding and that did not go well for you. Riding well takes a certain toughness of spirit and resolve and a capacity to admit to shortcomings, a capacity to be humble after hours of work, and much more. We often forget just how tough it is.

And it's not for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Winding Down View Post
    So I will "out myself" here and admit that I'm a psychologist. On boards like this, People usually share what they do as a means to engage in communication with others. I suggest that Kande start a journal or a blog as I don't think she sees the other drummers as having beats worth listening to. Why post at all if the goal is to listen only to your own music?

I think we see the total disregard of our feedback as an insult. It's like going to a potluck and only eating the food you brought. WhAts up with that?

I was late to this (potluck) party. Is there another one worth crashing? I'm not picky.
    Okay, I agree, but no need to use your professional expertise. To you, kande's behavior may show obvious signs of a narcissistic/histrionic personality disorder. But to the rest of us posters, she is simply a troll. Anyone who craves attention so much that even negative attention seems good is a troll.

And, as they say on the internet, "don't feed the trolls." I stopped with this one a while ago. And now I will exercise the ignore feature to avoid being sucked in again.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

3 members found this post helpful.

^^^ thanks!

2 members found this post helpful.

Kande said she was tired of being stuck at 2nd level. Based on the video evidence she provided, I don't think that is going to be a serious problem.

For rest of you-

Please stop using the quote feature.
    It's ruining my ignore list nirvana
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

7 members found this post helpful.

When a rider presents the bit correctly, it becomes a guide and the horse learns to trust the rider.

Is it work for the horse? Yes, and as such you do put him under pressure, just as you do when you so much as put a halter and lead your horse or do anything with him. Because if given a choice, horses would rather stay in the pasture and eat and poop and play with their pals. They're not stupid.

I'm glad you've made progress, but if you want to do more, you need to know more. Because it's not a game, and you really don't know much.

And that concludes my posts to kandeo4.
    Last edited by mp; Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Edited to preserve nhwr's nirvana. :)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    She's determined to march to the beat of her own drum, no matter how far astray it takes her. It is what it is.
    Yes, exactly! We all are who we are, take it or leave it.

I'm not arrogant. I just like to type, and like conversations that are more like debates. I'd bring more references into the conversations, but most of my beliefs are based upon what I know about learning theory, and I get the feeling that not too many riders are interested in learning theory so haven't talked about it as much as I'd like to.

I find it just a bit odd that riders aren't more interested in learning theory than they are, since it describes what we do with horses so much more accurately, but it seems that the way most learn to ride is by someone telling them how to do it rather than by learning how and why what they're telling them to do works.

If you click on the user name, it takes you to the block function. I used this when I saw a post about "learning theory" and started getting all puffed up with a reply....

There are much more important things to do and learn. :-)

[INSERT KANDE QUOTE ABOUT PEOPLE NOT BEING INTERESTED IN THEORY HERE]

In my experience, most committed riders do both. They read and learn theory, but rather than trying to apply it blind, they do so with the help of a professional. Horses aren't Ikea furniture that you can put together with a manual. There's a significant element of feel and timing, and you have to be in the moment with the horse. That's where a professional, or at least trained eyes on the ground, can help.

...and with that I'm going to return to my former policy of not engaging.
    Last edited by suzier444; Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: to remove direct quotes for the benefit of ignore-list users

3 members found this post helpful.

If you click on the user name, it takes you to the block function. I used this when I saw a post about "learning theory" and started getting all puffed up with a reply....

But if you put someone on "Ignore" and people keep quoting the "Ignoree" you still see the posts. Hence, my edit.

You're welcome, nhwr.

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    When a rider presents the bit correctly, it becomes a guide and the horse learns to trust the rider.
    Agree, but learning how to present the bit "correctly" when there are so many different ways to do it does involve making some decisions about how one wants to proceed.

Is it work for the horse? Yes, and as such you do put him under pressure, just as you do when you so much as put a halter and lead your horse or do anything with him. Because if given a choice, horses would rather stay in the pasture and eat and poop and play with their pals. They're not stupid.
    I spend a fair amount of time thinking about how much is too much, and where I'm going to draw the line. I used to try to stay in the middle so pushed my horse harder than many, and not as hard as many more. But when the dust settled I didn't think that worked out very well for my horse, so I abandoned that thinking and have been floundering ever since. People aren't kidding about how hard it is to find a balance between pushing for too much and not pushing for enough, although I'd much rather err by not pushing for anything than push for too much.

So does that mean you're winding down?

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    And now I will exercise the ignore feature to avoid being sucked in again.
    What I find interesting is that people have so much trouble ignoring the posts they don't want to read anymore. Once I get into one of these I do my best to stay on the same thread (usually one I start, but this one got away), but yet there are still those who read it and then complain because someone wrote it and they weren't able to ignore it.

Thank you mp.

This is for you and others to enjoy because sometimes it is all about the training, in fact mostly it is about training (and contact is part of training).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMLUWeJZwwo
    Last edited by nhwr; Jun. 13, 2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typo
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

^^^^. Not sure what the game is.... But sounds like you've had some serious feedback in the past about your riding and that did not go well for you.
    It went great for me and I loved it, but it wasn't so great for my horse and I couldn't live with the guilt. I tried to rationalize it away, but I knew better.

What I'm doing now is much better. Small amounts of occasional guilt because I'm not perfect, but that's what keeps the ambitious monster inside of me in check.

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    But if you put someone on "Ignore" and people keep quoting the "Ignoree" you still see the posts. Hence, my edit.

You're welcome, nhwr.
    Gotcha!

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    You will never get beyond training level till you learn to drive on the "right" side of the road. Well, you might call what you're doing "First Level", but no one will believe you.
    Doesn't really matter what level, because the idea is to work on it at home and then go get professional judges' opinions on how it's going, because they're the ones who are trained to evaluate such things, and I think they do that best when they can see the horse in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Do you think he would rather be piloted by my friend who was doing such a lovely job with her 4yo earlier in this thread, or by you? Which ride would your HORSE prefer?
    I think he'd prefer the way I ride, train, and manage him, but that's just a guess since I don't really know anything about your friend.

Kande, So that I am clear, are you saying that you value the opinions of professional judges? That would include the Olympic judges that reward much of the riding that you disdain. You must also know that the judging at many schooling shows is very generous and the judges try to be encouraging. Go to a good licensed show and see where you land.

Quote Originally Posted by kande04 View Post
    Yes, exactly! We all are who we are, take it or leave it.I find it just a bit odd that riders aren't more interested in learning theory than they are, since it describes what we do with horses so much more accurately, but it seems that the way most learn to ride is by someone telling them how to do it rather than by learning how and why what they're telling them to do works.
    Why exactly do you think that having a trainer tell you what to do is mutually exclusive from that same trainer telling you why it works? If someone can write it down in a book a trainer can also discuss it in a lesson.