The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer doors keep "jimmying" open! Help!

As a past Trail-Et owner, I know all about the issues with (older model) Trail-Et doors working their way loose. We always just kept the dressing room door locked & it was never an issue. However, I recently upgraded to a fabulous (still older) Hawk and this gosh darn trailer not only has a dressing room door that works open BUT the side doors in the horse area do the same thing! I don't have a problem keeping the dressing room locked when hauling, but I DO have a big issue with needing to lock the escape doors on each side! Heaven forbid I need to jump out and get to a horses head quickly! I know I'm not the only one that has ever dealt with this, so what is the fix? Hubby is a mechanic and father is a "jack of all trades"...I just need to know how to attack the problem. Do I mess with them, or just replace the locks/latches completely?
    Cindy

Take a piece of paper, hold it by the diagonal corners and rotate your grip in opposite directions.... That may be what the trailer frame is doing that is allowing the sidewalls to flex

Check for broken welds or if by chance there are bolted in cross members. If bolts were used check the bolt holes for wear as the wrong sized bolts may have been used allowing movement when the frame is put into a torque sitution such as having one side of the trailer drop into a hole.

But the most common issue is the throw of the latch being to short to remain engaged.

1 members found this post helpful.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Not enough information. If it's the kind of locking assembly with a long rod, attached to a handle on the outside of the trailer, take it to a semi-truck repair place. Horse trailer manufacturers don't make door locking hardware themselves. They all buy it from companies who make the same parts for semis, and box trucks. If it's a problem with the trailer box, they can fix that too. I'd find one for you, but "south central Pa." is not enough information. If it's the kind of lock where it's all on the inside of the door, with no rods on the outside, take it to an RV repair place. Either way, it should be a simple fix. You just have to find someone with access to the right parts.

Tom - it's the kind where it's all on the inside of the door. I have easy access to Redneck Trailer Supply (hubby gets parts from them at cost all the time) and Nuera trailer parts (my barn owner gets parts from them at cost). There are also several RV repair/sales places near me as well. If it can be done at home, I would prefer that - since I use the trailer about twice per week!

Thanks!
    Cindy

Mali
    hmm, I suspect your doors are too tight to the striker plate, is there a Hawk dealer in your area? it can be adjusted easily and usually cures it...
    Risa
    HappyTrailsTrailers.com

Quote Originally Posted by grinanride View Post
    Mali
    hmm, I suspect your doors are too tight to the striker plate, is there a Hawk dealer in your area? it can be adjusted easily and usually cures it...
    Risa
    HappyTrailsTrailers.com
    Unfortunately, no...closest dealer is 2 hours away. Are there instructions anywhere on how to take care of the issue? I'm pretty sure that is what is going on. The doors are really tight to close - as in when you push them closed, you have to give an extra push to hear the "click". I can't tell you how many times I've thought they were closed, only to double-check them and find out they weren't completely latched. Yet another reason to lock them! You can't lock them if they aren't closed completely
    Cindy

Check the trailer door hinges. I've had a broken (cracked) hinge cause the door to come open. The broken hinge may not be obvious. May not be your problem, but worth checking.

Quote Originally Posted by gldprimr View Post
    Check the trailer door hinges. I've had a broken (cracked) hinge cause the door to come open. The broken hinge may not be obvious. May not be your problem, but worth checking.

Ditto. I had this happen due to hinge issues.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Mali
    Give me a call and I will try to talk you thru, it is simple, should not be the hinges as they are continuous weld on stainless steel...
    Risa
    www.happytrailstrailers.com
    www.BalancedRideTrailers.com