The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Here she is!

As a lot of you know, I have been on a quest for a horse for a couple of months. My mare, Tess, will be laid off for six months to a year.

The ups and downs of finding a project horse have been difficult. First, the CANTER horse fell through. I was approved by New Vocations several weeks ago. I had one of their horses vetted last week, but it did not pass for what I want to do. I really liked the horse, so was very disappointed to make the hard decision.

My approval for adopting from the Secretariat Center finally came through. I went down to the KHP this morning to try several horses. The first one was over 17 hands, which was way too high off of the ground for this old lady. The second one that I tried had been brought out of the mare pasture, as an after thought, because the Director thought that we might get along.

Susannah picked a dandy! "Chasing Piper" is a 4 year old, chestnut mare, who is about 16 hands. She just started in their program, so has been ridden some, but mostly let down in the mare's pasture.

Catherine rode her first. She did walk, trot, canter getting both of her correct leads the first time. I got on her. She flicks an ear back as you are riding, just to let you know that she is listening. I did walk, trot and canter.

Susannah suggested that I use my seat/weight to ask Piper to turn. Piper turned and did a nice circle, as if she had been doing it all of her life.

Susannah set up three trotting poles, which Piper had never seen before today. Piper walked through both directions, while stretching her head down to see where to place her feet. We trotted through them. No problem. Susannah set up a cross rail and Piper trotted over it, with no hesitation.

I took Piper out of the arena on a "trail ride" around the farm (she had never been ridden outside of the arena before today). She did not spook at anything, even though the wind gusts were about 25mph and shaking the leaves on the trees and bushes.

I believe that "Chasing Piper" has very nice bloodlines for sport, too.

If you wait long enough, even if you are not the most patient person in the world, sometimes, "good things do come to those who wait."

I am a happy old lady, who has a nice project horse. Yay!

If you want to look at a photo, you will have to look at the Makers Mark Secretariat Center website.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

7 members found this post helpful.

She's beautiful! Such a sweet face
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

Sooooo glad to hear this!!!!! And I just love her name Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Congratulations! Love a good mare
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Yay, congrats!
    Click here before you buy.

Default A red headed mare for a red headed mare

Good for you!! Sounds like she passed her first test with flying colors! If she turns out to be half as nice as Tess, you'll be in business. When do you get to bring her home?

Congratulations!! I could not see a link to pic.

"Back in the saddle again"! Congrats!

2ndyrgal,

Yep. Two redheads equal, two awesome, opinionated women!

Gryhrs,

I am tech challenged. I can link on to COTH and read my email, but that is about it. If you go to www.secretariatcenter.org and hit "our horses", you can scroll down to "Chasing Piper".

I wanted to see "Nola Belle", but they still say that she has an adopter. I wanted to see "Amulet", but they say that he spoken for by an UL rider. When Susannah, the Director, asked me which horses I wanted to see? She said, "You have a good eye for a horse!"

I would love it if Piper's engine looked like Amulet's or Nola's. However, we have great hills where I board, so I am not worried about building a better one. The whole time that I was riding her, Piper did not take a wrong step. She listened and did what I asked. For a horse who has only been off of the track since April, I could not have asked for more.

Besides, she has a huge, Tessie like, walk. It goes somewhere, without asking for it. She has a great mind. She likes to learn. She is very willing. The best part is she has "Jaycee like" ears. She is always flicking one or the other back, as if to say, I am listening and I hear you.

I am praying that Tess will come back. For now, I will have a project with which to play. Maybe next Fall, you will get to see the two red heads doing their thing.

2 members found this post helpful.

LOVE your new mare - congratulations!!! I had a wonderful Border Collie named Piper (Bagpipe, LOL). Best of luck with her!
    PennyG

She's gorgeous.

Here's the direct link to the picture:
    http://www.secretariatcenter.org/wp-...er-Website.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

OK just as an fyi since you mentioned being not tech savvy. She ran at Belmont, Saratoga and Aqueduct. As such I can assure you especially coming from Bruce Levine's barn that she has hacked around the backsides of Saratoga and Belmont ad nauseum. The farm in Ky was probably far more boring than the backside at the SPA. LOL.

Speaking of which, she actually won a MSW at Saratoga so you may want to consider plunking down $30 or so to own that win picture. (Let me know if you need Adam's contact info to get it)

Tod Marks got a nice shot of her here: http://todmarks.photoshelter.com/image/I0000FHEkd_BT4Y0

She's a lovely mare and is nicely bred. Congrats on bringing her home.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Emily,

Thank you! How cool is that? I love how COTH folks step up and find more information (and awesome photos! ) that I would never have been able to find.

Although, Susannah did tell me that Piper will be coming home with a binder with all of the information that they have on her background. Since she has not been with them for very long, her binder is not as large as some of the other horses there.

Congrats! she's a lovely red girl

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    I wanted to see "Nola Belle", but they still say that she has an adopter. I wanted to see "Amulet", but they say that he spoken for by an UL rider. When Susannah, the Director, asked me which horses I wanted to see? She said, "You have a good eye for a horse!"
    I wonder why they don't add "adoption pending" to these horses
    (of course I immediately also wondered about NB & then, even though it's been weeks, NB is still showing on the site as available???)

Jingles for your Tess

1 members found this post helpful.

Fantastic. Every time I read one of these threads and see all the fabulous TB's that people end up with It makes me rethink my decision to not get another horse. She sounds perfect. and with a very level head it seems.
    Very pretty as well, Love me a Chestnut mare as well.
    MAy you have much success and a long partnership with her!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Congratulations! She is adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Speaking of which, she actually won a MSW at Saratoga so you may want to consider plunking down $30 or so to own that win picture. (Let me know if you need Adam's contact info to get it)

Tod Marks got a nice shot of her here: http://todmarks.photoshelter.com/image/I0000FHEkd_BT4Y0
    Very cool, how did you find out this information and get the picture?

OP, congrats on the new addition! Jingles for a full recovery for your Tess. I'm sure Piper will love her new home with you. Post lots of pics and updates!

That's very easy. To see a race record for free go to www.equibase.com and enter the horses name in the upper right hand corner. If you have difficulty understanding how to read it, ask and I will translate.

For the picture, I simply searched "Chasing Piper" on Google and clicked on an image search. Voila. You need the quotes to help filter just the name exact results.

For knowing the folks who do win pics at Nyra tracks, I worked there for 2 years!

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Congrats Auburn! What a beauty! What fun for you!

She is lovely! I'm so happy for you!