The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Smile New breed? CL ad

Thought I'd heard of every breed there was, but a "pertron" was new to me:

http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/3832105485.html
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

and he is omish broke....really special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

4 members found this post helpful.

somebody save this poor horse....

He's $3500...who is going to save him and from what? Just because a horse is on craigslist, doesn't mean that he's going to a "bad" place.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

10 members found this post helpful.

Actually, I don't think the horse is in bad shape, or being mistreated or misused. Only posted because the "new breed" amused me.

3 members found this post helpful.

Ah, they're in Groveton. That explains it.

1 members found this post helpful.

He's a pretty boy. Sounds like a fun horse to have, if you're into driving.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaMockingbird View Post
    Ah, they're in Groveton. That explains it.
    ???

How can you justify $3500 for a horse when you can't even spell its breed properly?? Come on! You can't take 30 seconds to google it even? No spell check on your computer?

He looks like a nice horse, might be priced a little high..but if he's as quiet as claimed- it is a price worth paying for safety (of course you have to know how to hitch him safely/correctly to your vehicle for that investment to be worth a dime) ...hopefully someone looking for a horse like him can find the ad despite the spelling.

(picture of the horse pulling little surrey was very creatively hitched: OMG)

Horsecrazy- sometimes the spelling is so far off it's not going to autocorrect. I've seen "Persian" so many times I don't even giggle about it anymore.

^^^lol

Some of you all need to stop taking life so seriously. I agree with the OP, the misspelling on the breed was funny (along with the rest in the ad OH MY! LOL). Heck if we could afford another mouth to feed and he was in our neighborhood I'd go get him, I think the SO would love him, he's always wanted a heavy with all his years in the STB business. This one looks like a dandy and reasonable for the price if he is safe doing all they say he does.
    ~~Some days are a total waste of makeup.~~

I'm with jvanrens...take a deep breath folks! Yes, the ad is badly written...but the horse is in beautiful shape. I'd rather see a well cared for horse owned by someone who can't spell than a poorly cared for horse owned by a brainiac. And by the way, while I can spell most anything, my husband, who has two engineering degrees, can't spell to save his life.

7 members found this post helpful.

I think the horse looks really nice. Whether he is $3,500 nice is up to the draft aficionados but I think he sounds like a pretty dang nice and useful horse. Hardly looks like he needs saving.

Judging by the shape that horse is in I'd wager what the seller lacks in books smarts he makes up for in horse sense.

You don't have to be 8th grade spelling bee champ to be capable of owning and properly caring for a horse. The two can be mutually exclusive.

ETA: Dunno about the area that horse is in but in my area it's not a stretch for a nice looking healthy quiet "does it all" draft to fetch a nice price.

4 members found this post helpful.

Why would one drug a log?

Toss aside the bad spelling and grammar for a second.

The horse is presented clean and groomed for the sales photos. Pictures are taken from angles that give a good idea of the horse's conformation.

No barefoot children under his legs, no shirtless hillbillies standing on his back, rolls of barb wire laying in the field or other stupidity common in the "look at this stupid CL ad" posts.

The pictures are taken in an area with a pleasing-to-the-eye landscape.

Tack appears to be in good repair and fits the horse. Horse is shown actually doing a job, as opposed to standing in a field eating or running from the camera man.

So while they definitely fail in their written part of the ads they far exceeded the standards set in the photo department.

Add to that the horse is gelded, in good weight, appears well maintained and knows not just one but several jobs. He's got a damn sight more going for him than a lot of horses out there on and off craigslist.

27 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    Toss aside the bad spelling and grammar for a second.

The horse is presented clean and groomed for the sales photos. Pictures are taken from angles that give a good idea of the horse's conformation.

No barefoot children under his legs, no shirtless hillbillies standing on his back, rolls of barb wire laying in the field or other stupidity common in the "look at this stupid CL ad" posts.

The pictures are taken in an area with a pleasing-to-the-eye landscape.

Tack appears to be in good repair and fits the horse. Horse is shown actually doing a job, as opposed to standing in a field eating or running from the camera man.

So while they definitely fail in their written part of the ads they far exceeded the standards set in the photo department.

Add to that the horse is gelded, in good weight, appears well maintained and knows not just one but several jobs. He's got a damn sight more going for him than a lot of horses out there on and off craigslist.

Have to agree with all of the above, except the part about harness fitting well. That harness looks like it should be on a longer bodied horse, though the collar and bridle do appear to fit correctly. I would recommend that horse to anyone wanting a draft animal BECAUSE he obviously manages situations well, IN SPITE of (less than ideal) conditions around him! He has age and experience, broke by the Amish, works all kinds of equipment and jobs, so he is probably fine with any kind of newbie dealing with him. Photo hitched to carriage is SCARY, but horse has obviously done his job well anyhow, so that is a great look showing a good mind.

Seller is pointing out all the good stuff horse is capable of, though spelling is not the best, it still gives you a good idea of how horse is. I read the ad using an accent in my mind, like talking to a person and understood everything they were saying about the horse. Seller spelled things just like they talk, easy to understand for me. All VERY GOOD recommends for a draft animal.

Horse sure does NOT NEED any rescue help!! Looks in great shape, and probably well worth the asking price. Somebody should jump on him as a good buy, enjoy the heck out of using him!!

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Why would one drug a log?
    Sometimes they can get feisty when you are removing them from their native habitat.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Sometimes they can get feisty when you are removing them from their native habitat.
    LOL!