The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "In a few years, the horse will become obsolete."

Henry Ford, 1923. This video shows why 100 years after he said that, it never happened. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/oO9gU3pz7dI
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

4 members found this post helpful.

Wonderful, Mike, and thanks! I really needed this after reading the auction thread.

2 members found this post helpful.

Cute Icelandic horses.

Love the Mike Matson. Keep on keepin' on buddy.

2 members found this post helpful.

One of the highlights of Equine Affaire was the Icelandic horse drill team. So much fun to watch them at a full out tolt and then they shut off the lights and all you saw was red LED lights (bands on the fetlocks) going a warp speed!

Tell me again why we ride trotting horses??

Who is the smokin' hot guy in the grey mock neck at the "teaching empathy" part of the video and can I go live on an Icelandic farm with him please.

1 members found this post helpful.

You know every time I see the name of this thread, it makes me think of the
    article in which the NY mayoral candidate says we can still do carriage rides, just cut out the "stinky" horse; I'm sorry, but it's just not the same.

Not to burst a nostalgic bubble ... but ... 90 years ago when Henry Ford made mention of the horse becoming obsolete, it was in reference to the horse being the premier mode of everyday transportation. He certainly wasn't suggesting its demise as a sporting element; just being replaced by the emerging horseless carriage. Rather like crude oil replacing whale oil.

Anyone have a link to those Icelantics performing with the red LEDs? I'd love to see that!

Quote Originally Posted by 5chestnuts View Post
    Not to burst a nostalgic bubble ... but ... 90 years ago when Henry Ford made mention of the horse becoming obsolete, it was in reference to the horse being the premier mode of everyday transportation. He certainly wasn't suggesting its demise as a sporting element; just being replaced by the emerging horseless carriage. Rather like crude oil replacing whale oil.

Anyone have a link to those Icelantics performing with the red LEDs? I'd love to see that!
    That is true and what I thought this thread would be about. Guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Who is the smokin' hot guy in the grey mock neck at the "teaching empathy" part of the video and can I go live on an Icelandic farm with him please.
    Ha! I'm the one that made the video, and that's my trainer, Steinar Sigurbjornson. He lives in northern California now (most of the year, if not in Iceland). He is amazing. But... also married to another Icelandic trainer

If you're anywhere near Santa Cruz, California and you want to ride an Icelandic horse, there's always one ready! Steinar gives "test rides" just on the off chance someone falls in love with Icelandic horses. We have some of the BIGGEST Icelandics in the US here, one is dangerously close to a staggering 14.2 hands. He's a monster

3 members found this post helpful.

ReallyBigPony, thanks for joining in!
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

That is exactly why! Awesome video RBP! However, tears and morning coffee don't mix so well.

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigPony View Post
    Ha! I'm the one that made the video, and that's my trainer, Steinar Sigurbjornson. He lives in northern California now (most of the year, if not in Iceland). He is amazing. But... also married to another Icelandic trainer

If you're anywhere near Santa Cruz, California and you want to ride an Icelandic horse, there's always one ready! Steinar gives "test rides" just on the off chance someone falls in love with Icelandic horses. We have some of the BIGGEST Icelandics in the US here, one is dangerously close to a staggering 14.2 hands. He's a monster
    I looked him up, is he connected with Valhalla Icelandics? Site says they're in Lake View Terrace. And $12,000 and up for a horse! Oh well, in California he won't be having any problems selling.

Realistically, he was right. He didn't claim that horses would become extinct in a few years, or that nobody would ride anymore, just that they would no longer be a major mode of transportation.
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

1 members found this post helpful.

Awesome video is right!

I took "liberties" with his "horses will become obsolete", for two reasons: 1. He made that crack about not understanding why anyone would *want* to ride a horse (not that half my family doesn't feel the same way), and 2. because I've worked in technology all my life and we/they are nearly obsessed with technology replacing *everything* (books, records, etc.). Or... could have been the pain meds talking Either way, thanks for watching. I'm on a mission to learn video/editing.

Quote Originally Posted by Malda View Post
    I looked him up, is he connected with Valhalla Icelandics? Site says they're in Lake View Terrace. And $12,000 and up for a horse! Oh well, in California he won't be having any problems selling.
    He is Valhalla Icelandics, but now in Santa Cruz / northern California. As I am guessing most other breeds have experienced in recent years, the market/price of Icelandic horses has changed dramatically. And by "changed" I mean "fallen apart". I'm now seeing $80,000 horses selling for $10,000 or even $5,000, which is basically the cost of importing from Iceland to US. But I could not afford any of his horses regardless... mine are all... what's that word... "projects". Which I guess means, "really great teachers."